PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stanzi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on the last two QBs they drafted...the Patriots are looking for a more mobile QB than Brady. No more statues. Not a runner but someone who can avoid the rush. I have not yet seen these guys play but Kaepernick sounds more mobile.

As far as Brady retiring...that is hard to say. He does not seem as dedicated as he once was but he still seems to have the fire on the field. You can hardly blame him considering his options off the field.

Based on the last two QBs they drafted...the Patriots are looking for a more mobile QB than Brady. No more statues. Not a runner but someone who can avoid the rush. I have not yet seen these guys play but Kaepernick sounds more mobile.

Just watched some Kaepernick and Stanzi videos.

Stanzi looks NFL ready although in the highlight reels you never see the bad throws. On videos I saw he had incredible touch; major league stuff. He is also reasonably mobile and can throw rolling out right AND left. quicker feet than Brady but that is not saying much. One thing that was worrisome is that I never saw him look off a safety; he bird-dogged his WRs on every play--this will have the NFL safeties salivating like "crazed dogs". The good news is that he seems like he has a quick release when he wants to; you can see it when he rolls out. Hard to believe that he will get out of the first round. I suspect that he can be coached up on this aspect of his game.

As far as Kaepernick: holey smokes... he reminds me of a young Randall Cunningham; same build and moves. For all you young pups Cunningham was a lightening-quick QB who could avoid the rush and also scramble on occasion; probably the first of the Michael Vick style QBs. His completion over a diving Carl Banks was a highlight for NFL films for many years much to Bank's chagrin.

Kaepernick is cat quick in the pocket but he will have to curb his instinct to run if he wants to survive in the NFL. It is not clear how good his arm is since most of the highlights showed his feet in action but I suspect that he does not have great touch. Intriguing prospect...but very very raw.

Last edited:
Stanzi had some struggles but he's improved a lot in the last year. His work ethic is apparently amazing. And he played for Kirk Ferentz, so BB will get the inside scoop on the kid.

I hear he may be going in the 3rd though, and that's a bit higher than I'd like to take him. If he's around in the 4th, sure, but I don't want to use one of our 3rds to grab him. I'd be happy with taking McElroy later on too.

Since you know the territory, I saw Adam Weber in a couple games this season and thought he had the potential to make the roster as a UDFA and challenge Hoyer a bit. He and Chappell are currently on my UDFA option list. How far off base am I?

Weber was a very unpopular player here in MN, but he also had at least 3 offensive coordinators, and each time they were changing the system. I think he is a good athlete with a solid arm, and he did start for 4 years. I would take a look at him as a UDFA, although he has displayed questionable accuracy.

I have seen Stanzi play well in a number of games, but I have also see him play quite poorly in a number of others, and I have often really questioned his decision making late in the game. He played very poorly against a Gophers secondary that may be the worst I have ever seen in the Big Ten. That secondary couldn't defend the deep ball all season and did not have the athletes to match up with Iowa, who has two pretty good receivers. One game does not a prospect make, but I just do not see him turning into an effective starting QB. And I do not want to take a QB in round 3 or 4 (round 4 seems to be a consensus as to where he will go) when I believe there are "lesser" prospects that have every bit as good a chance to develop into good QBs. I respect the opinions of my fellow draftniks, and Stanzi is not one of those prospects where I know I am right, I just don't see it.

Just watched some Kaepernick and Stanzi videos.

As far as Kaepernick: holey smokes... he reminds me of a young Randall Cunningham; same build and moves.

So who the heck was Kaepernick throwing to? His WR(s) got incredible separation at least in the highlights I saw (or maybe K. could only hit guys who were wide open). This was in sharp contrast to Stanzi's WRs who never seemed to open necessitating precision throws on his part.

So who the heck was Kaepernick throwing to? His WR(s) got incredible separation at least in the highlights I saw (or maybe K. could only hit guys who were wide open). This was in sharp contrast to Stanzi's WRs who never seemed to open necessitating precision throws on his part.

It may have something to do with the offense Kaepernick plays in. They use the pistol offense, and Iowa's is much more of a smashmouth, pro-style offense. Although by my eyes, and by what I have read, the top two Iowa receivers are well-regarded.

I am a big Kaepernick fan, the question being (as it is with so many QBs) can he adapt to an NFL offense. I like him more than some of the players pegged to go higher.

I hear he may be going in the 3rd though, and that's a bit higher than I'd like to take him. If he's around in the 4th, sure, but I don't want to use one of our 3rds to grab him.

I would be amazed if he lasted as long as the third. If he is still available in the third the Patriots would be mighty tempted to take him I suspect. I don't see him making it through the second or even first round. He seems like the most polished of the QBs; I would rather have him instead of Pretty Boy Gabbert or Cam(era) Newton.

Of course this is based totally on my "expert" evaluation based on a few minutes of highlight films. :eek::D

Last edited:
Ricky Stanzi has some talent but his decision making is the biggest issue to me. I know his interception number dropped this past season dramatically but his decision making is still in question. The bowl game against Missouri showed some of those issues and some of his ball placement can be questioned. He doesn't have much of an arm but he has a good enough one, which is what's good for me. You can often improve a quarterbacks arm through his footwork, as the Patriots did with Brady when he came out, and that's a possibility with Stanzi. I think he, like every other young quarterback that has success, benefited from a strong run game. I just wonder how he'll be in the NFL. He's tricky to evaluate but if you put him in a three step, quick game system, I think he could have some success. I'll just be surprised if he ever is consistent.

As for Colin Kaepernick, I wouldn't bother with him. Why people are high on him is confusing to me. Long delivery, needs work on ball placement, footwork is a mess, he's a guy who needs to get out on the pocket to make his best throws and he comes from a system that is really simplified, yet he failed to show progress.

Just my two cents, however.

Last edited:
Ricky Stanzi has some talent but his decision making is the biggest issue to me. I know his interception number dropped this past season dramatically but his decision making is still in question. .

I am shooting from the hip here since I have only seen highlights. Could "bad decision making" really mean that his lead-foot WRs could not get open and he was forced to throw into coverage? In the highlights I saw his WRs were covered and he had to make amazing throws to get to them...

I am shooting from the hip here since I have only seen highlights. Could "bad decision making" really mean that his lead-foot WRs could not get open and he was forced to throw into coverage? In the highlights I saw his WRs were covered and he had to make amazing throws to get to them...

That's part of it but there's also blame on Stanzi.

I'm sure there is but I think the relevant questions is to what extent are his problems correctable? I've just seen some highlight footage of him and love what I see, but I'm also not seeing the lowlights.

Dalton is probably the #1 QB I want out of this draft but he'll go way too early.

I would be amazed if he lasted as long as the third. If he is still available in the third the Patriots would be mighty tempted to take him I suspect. I don't see him making it through the second or even first round. He seems like the most polished of the QBs; I would rather have him instead of Pretty Boy Gabbert or Cam(era) Newton.

Of course this is based totally on my "expert" evaluation based on a few minutes of highlight films. :eek::D

I've heard he's rising, though I can't imagine the 1st. It wouldn't surprise me if he snuck into the late 2nd if there's a run on QBs though. If he's taken too early, at least it takes the temptation away.

We also saw Brady and Manning make poor decisions in some games this season. But the overall body of work is quite impressive. Any QB with a 25-6 TD to INT ratio has to be making a lot of smart throws.

I was impressed with the significant progress he made in the past season. There were some bizarre decisions, but you have to admit he's improved significantly from the previous two seasons. Combined with the great work ethic I keep reading about, it makes me think this is the beginning of a trend.

~ I was impressed with the significant progress he made in the past season.

~ There were some bizarre decisions, but you have to admit he's improved significantly from the previous two seasons.

~ Combined with the great work ethic I keep reading about, it makes me think this is the beginning of a trend.

If I had to break down my evaluation of Ricky Stanzi to 3 sentences, those would do very nicely. :cool:

I don't know if I can fit him on my team, what with Brian Hoyer already on it, and with my admiration for Greg McElroy, Super Binkie...But I am very confident that Ricky Stanzi is going to become a better Quarter Back than all, and a significantly better Quarter Back than most of the 6 or 7 guys expected to go before him ~ or any of those going after him, including McElroy ~ and if he were to be still available late in the 3rd Round, I'd have to give serious thought to making room for'm.

I'm probably slightly biased as somebody going to school half an hour away, but I really like him. He made a lot of "WTF" throws two seasons ago, but this past season, he was a lot more under control. Working with Tom Martinez definitely doesn't hurt the Brady comparisons.

The problem is that the Patriots do not need him. However if I was a GM of a crappy team one way to re-build the team is to get the best left tackle you can in the first and then get Stanzi in the second or third.

The problem is that the Patriots do not need him.

Brady doesn't have many seasons left in him, we need to strongly consider drafting a QB within the next few drafts.....at this point the question is: Do you think Hoyer has the ability start for the Pats in 2 years? (Why 2 years? Brady had a major surgery and another blow to that knee would probably end his career and even if he stays healthy, I think he can only play for maybe 4 years at this level. So just kinda stick it in the middle and get 2)

I've said it before and I'll say it again...if the Pats take a QB in this draft, I only want Stanzi.

Let's see.

IT IS REALLY THIS SIMPLE
You think that Brady can only last for 4 years.
Quarterbacks signed after the first will have 4 year contracts (or 3 plus RFA)
Any quarterback drafted this year would not replace Brady.

THAT BEING SAID
Hoyer is in his last year. Brady could get injured. It is NOT unreasonable to secure a 3rd QB to compete with Hoyer in 2012, replace him in 2012, or allow us to trade him in 2012.
Personally, I like Stanzi, although McElroy seems a better choice.

Brady doesn't have many seasons left in him, we need to strongly consider drafting a QB within the next few drafts.....at this point the question is: Do you think Hoyer has the ability start for the Pats in 2 years? (Why 2 years? Brady had a major surgery and another blow to that knee would probably end his career and even if he stays healthy, I think he can only play for maybe 4 years at this level. So just kinda stick it in the middle and get 2)

I've said it before and I'll say it again...if the Pats take a QB in this draft, I only want Stanzi.

Let's see.

IT IS REALLY THIS SIMPLE
You think that Brady can only last for 4 years.
Quarterbacks signed after the first will have 4 year contracts (or 3 plus RFA)
Any quarterback drafted this year would not replace Brady.

THAT BEING SAID
Hoyer is in his last year. Brady could get injured. It is NOT unreasonable to secure a 3rd QB to compete with Hoyer in 2012, replace him in 2012, or allow us to trade him in 2012.
Personally, I like Stanzi, although McElroy seems a better choice.

Mike Lombardi suggested about a month ago that if he were a GM looking at Kevin Kolb, he'd try and pry Hoyer away from the Patriots instead. Right now, given that they have "?" behind him at QB, I'd say that'd be mighty hard right now. But if the Pats took a QB in this draft, I could see them getting some serious offers for Hoyer.

Last edited:
Mike Lombardi suggested about a month ago that if he were a GM looking at Kevin Kolb, he'd try and pry Hoyer away from the Patriots instead. Right now, given that they have "?" behind him at QB, I'd say that'd be mighty hard right now. But if the Pats took a QB in this draft, I could see them getting some serious offers for Hoyer.

I was thinking the same thing!!

The more I ponder it, the more likely I am to draft Ricky Stanzi and Greg McElroy...at which point trading Hoyer would crystalize, indeed.

I wonder how much we could get for'm??
thinking%20about.gif

Here's the mention you mentioned: New England Patriots: QB Brian Hoyer gaining steam as potential starter? | Sports Haze | Where Sports News & World Culture Come Together

So, you're just willing to kiss off the 2011 season if Brady gets hurt instead of being competitive with Hoyer? Surely you don't think that Stanzi or McElroy would be ready to step in, especially with an abbreviated camp.

And all this to gain a 2012 draft pick? I'm not buying. However, there will be quarterback needs in 2012 also. Drafting one of the quarterbacks mentioned and grooming him as a replacment for Hoyer does indeed make sense. We can tender him as a first rounder and trade him NEXT year.

I was thinking the same thing!!

The more I ponder it, the more likely I am to draft Ricky Stanzi and Greg McElroy...at which point trading Hoyer would crystalize, indeed.

I wonder how much we could get for'm??
thinking%20about.gif

Here's the mention you mentioned: New England Patriots: QB Brian Hoyer gaining steam as potential starter? | Sports Haze | Where Sports News & World Culture Come Together

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick