PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stafford on the trading block [update: traded to Rams]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Det gets - 2021 2nd, 2022 2nd & 3rd, Gilmore

Pats get - Stafford, swap 8 & 15.
I don't think the Lions have any interest in that. First of all, they'd need to pay Gilmore who is also entering his 30s. Secondly, I believe the Lions want draft capital to move up in the draft for one of the rookie QB prospects, not move down.

Calvin Megatron Johnson says Hi. 4.3 speed in a 6'5", 235lb frame. Once in a lifetime talent. Can you imagine his career with Brady? You think Moss was good? You think Gronk was good? "Primarily trash" is your post.
I can't believe you actually want to argue this point. Absurd. You will argue over anything, wont you? There seem to be a lot of you here.
You are the one who argued with my post. You know the one stating FACTS. I just pointed out how dumb your argument is.
But you seriously want to claim a guy who can’t win anything is good because he’s great but all of his teammates stink and the QBs out there winning stink but all of their teammates are good?

Regardless of where Stafford goes... He will do better. I think its fairly humorous to see the disliking of a seasoned veteran... One who has been loyal to a dumpster fire for over a decade treated like a pariah.. When the patriots have no experience at leadership in the QB posistion as well as many other teams in the hunt for just that.
What?

Regardless of where Stafford goes... He will do better. I think its fairly humorous to see the disliking of a seasoned veteran... One who has been loyal to a dumpster fire for over a decade treated like a pariah.. When the patriots have no experience at leadership in the QB posistion as well as many other teams in the hunt for just that.
It's all the success. I think a lot of people don't realize where we are yet. Especially with the overachieving seven wins last years. It's a little like the girl who used to be smoking hot in high school. Is now 40, divorced, has three kids and has let herself go a little. Yet still has crazy high standards and can't figure out why she can't get a second date while she criticizes all her friends' husbands and refuses to "settle". Right now, we would be lucky to have a QB as "bad" as Matt Stafford. But 20 years of the GOAT has screwed up a lot of people's perspective of what an above average QB is. Not every team gets a Mahomes or Watson. We can win with a top 15 QB. It can be done. It's harder, but not impossible if you build the roster correctly.

You are the one who argued with my post. You know the one stating FACTS. I just pointed out how dumb your argument is.
But you seriously want to claim a guy who can’t win anything is good because he’s great but all of his teammates stink and the QBs out there winning stink but all of their teammates are good?
Take the hint. I'm not doing this with you.

You asked why is he not part of the trash? I'm saying he's got a rating of 89.9 even with trash... And I bet he will have a better completion average with an actual o line.

And to the other point brought up about megatron... Stafford tossed that dude almost all those passes... The defense knew it was coming it was a combo of megatron being amazing and Stafford at least getting the ball close... And most of the time staffords reward was a dogpile of the other team on top of him as he got the ball off.

Stafford hates fatty Matty P

not happening

Sign me up for some Staffy, but why wouldn't Detroit do a deal with the Texans (for Watson) or the Jets (for the #2 pick)?

No thanks. Stafford is not the difference maker when it comes to being a legit contender in 2021 and making it worthwhile. Pass.

Great stat compiler between the 25s. Great stat compiler in the 2nd and 3rd quarters and 4th when trailing.
Habitually starts poorly to get you in a hole, runs up some hollow numbers and fails in the 4th quarter.
If the game was played without keeping score, or the mental part of the game didn’t count, he would be great.
Is it possible a good team and coaching could elevate him? Maybe but im not counting on it.

This is exactly what I see whenever I see him play.

Any time the game is close, he is useless. As soon as the Lions get far enough behind the defense backs off, he puts together a scoring drive. If it gets close again, he’s useless. I thought it might just be in my head, but clearly it isn’t.

Empty stats.

Seems like the Lions got the quintessential Lion.

Last edited:
Sure is a lot of here and now for a team thats at least 2 years away from a solid rebuild.

Losing Brady set the team back two years. One down ... One more to go... And thats if BB pulls out either a miracle rookie QB, or can detain a veteran.

Not a lot of options for either considering the draft spots and lack of veteran qbs on the market.

I think Stafford is the best short term answer... Id rather have him than Watson...

Either way ill be watching Stafford's new team to see what he can do.

This off-season is going to be nuts.

I don't think the Lions have any interest in that. First of all, they'd need to pay Gilmore who is also entering his 30s. Secondly, I believe the Lions want draft capital to move up in the draft for one of the rookie QB prospects, not move down.
Agreed on second thought. If they're getting rid of Stafford they have a big hole to fill.

We shall see... Going the route of another rushing QB I see. The lions are garbage... The Texans are a good team? Im literally having to ask myself this. Sure Watson's passer rating is higher but is it sustainable? He runs therefore it opens up the pass. Is watson even viable? I think that gif you posted would be his answer.

Some say Stafford is not a winner. Ok, he is not at the same level as Watson,Mahomes or Wilson but offers some value in passing game. Give him a talented Pats' OL and something interesting might happen.
That is a solution when BB does not plan to get QB high in the draft. Also Fitzpatrick would be an interesting option and cheaper as a bridge QB and mentor for a young QB .

I’m not opposed to Stafford at all. I think he is a quality starting QB in the NFL and at (soon to be) 33 he still has a few good years left. It’s not my number 1 option but I certainly wouldn’t hate it.

I think #15 straight up is a little bit rich but if we could get back Detroit’s 3rd (#72) I think it’s a fair deal. The Lions could package #7 and #15 to trade up to #2 with the Jets and probably get a high 4th round pick back. Then they get their choice of QB after Lawrence.

My ideal scenario would be SF going hard after Stafford. I know a lot of people have talked about trading for Jimmy G but I don’t know if that is even necessary. In this market feeling the effects of Covid, his contract isn’t going to be too attractive for a lot of teams. More importantly, Garoppolo has a no-trade clause in his contract so he could essentially force the 49ers to release him. With no guaranteed money left in his contact, he might prefer the security of signing a new deal in free agency, even if it’s for a little less, rather than sitting on his current contract.

Jimmy G has always had a good relationship with Belichick and he fits well with McDaniels. I could definitely see him wanting to come back to the Pats and give Belichick’s original plan a try. I’m not saying the Pats should tamper with him, but if a friend of a friend reached out to another friend to gauge his interest in returning to New England it would be an ideal option that wouldn’t require any draft capital.

Any time the game is close, he is useless. As soon as the Lions get far enough behind the defense backs off, he puts together a scoring drive. If it gets close again, he’s useless. I thought it might just be in my head, but clearly it isn’t.
This doesn't look like the numbers of someone who is "useless". If you define that as useless, then so are Matt Ryan, Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson.
1611476196988.png

There's just too much black-and-white in there. Is Stafford a franchise QB in the Brady/Rodgers/Mahomes mold? Of course not, but that is not the standard. Stafford's had some good-to-great receivers available in his career, Megatron, Golden Tate, Marvin Jones and Kenny Golladay are all quality weapons. However, football is a team game and Detroit has never managed to assemble a balanced team, which is what you need when you want to win with QBs that are not the top-class HOF ones. Their running game has been pedestrian throughout Stafford's time there. The offensive line also rarely a strong unit. Defensively they were an average unit only twice in his decade over there. 2014 when they were 3rd in points and 2nd in yards and 2018 when they were 16th in points and 10th in yards.

That being said, I'm lukewarm into the idea of trading a first-round pick for him because I think the team has too many holes to address. Getting Stafford would make sense if the team has a solid base where you could anticipate that adding Stafford could propel them into contention for getting a playoff win or two. However, the Patriots are most likely in year 1 of a rebuild so Stafford's on the market a year too early for him to be worth a first for the Patriots. Now, if they can get him for a 2nd (which I doubt), that would be a different story.

This doesn't look like the numbers of someone who is "useless". If you define that as useless, then so are Matt Ryan, Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson.
View attachment 29898

There's just too much black-and-white in there. Is Stafford a franchise QB in the Brady/Rodgers/Mahomes mold? Of course not, but that is not the standard. Stafford's had some good-to-great receivers available in his career, Megatron, Golden Tate, Marvin Jones and Kenny Golladay are all quality weapons. However, football is a team game and Detroit has never managed to assemble a balanced team, which is what you need when you want to win with QBs that are not the top-class HOF ones. Their running game has been pedestrian throughout Stafford's time there. The offensive line also rarely a strong unit. Defensively they were an average unit only twice in his decade over there. 2014 when they were 3rd in points and 2nd in yards and 2018 when they were 16th in points and 10th in yards.

That being said, I'm lukewarm into the idea of trading a first-round pick for him because I think the team has too many holes to address. Getting Stafford would make sense if the team has a solid base where you could anticipate that adding Stafford could propel them into contention for getting a playoff win or two. However, the Patriots are most likely in year 1 of a rebuild so Stafford's on the market a year too early for him to be worth a first for the Patriots. Now, if they can get him for a 2nd (which I doubt), that would be a different story.
The voice of reason...

This is a news i expected...for Detroit could be huge moove up in the next draft if they take an extra 1st added to their 7th...

I think Stafford will land in the Afc

In Foxboro ? I don't know...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back