PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Speculation about Zappe getting cut

If they want a veteran QB, they can sign him tomorrow after they've cut the team to 53 and designated players to the IR to return list. Therefore, some other thread is the place for QB debate. This is the thread to find news of cuts. (Please.)

Why? Because he’s a guy who sucks but you know his name?
McCoy is 37 years old and just got cut by a qb desperate team who didnt even want him over a 5th round rookie and a guy they just traded for who has a career stat line of 85 passes 2 TDS and 3 ints.
Because I've watched him on a couple teams as a backup and he came in and performed very well. I remember him at the Redskins in particular. His problem is availability. Hurt frequently but for a short spell he could get the job done.

Sam Howell started one NFL game, he completed 57% of his passes, threw 1 TD and 1 INT on 16 attempts and had a 83 QB Rating.

So no, Sam Howell was nowhere near as good statistically as Zappe.

Preseason is practice. It's not real football.
Washington is raving about Howell right now.

How did Zapp look to you?
It was preseason with OL issues, no game planning and he was playing with guys who will be working at UPS.
If you think that’s how you evaluate a qb it explains a lot of your posts.

Because I've watched him on a couple teams as a backup and he came in and performed very well. I remember him at the Redskins in particular. His problem is availability. Hurt frequently but for a short spell he could get the job done.
When did he perform very well?
He was in Washington 5 years and won 1 game, threw 8 TDS and 7 picks.
He is not 37 and unearned by the most qb desperate team in the league.

Here is a stat for you that probably explains why Arizona’s traded for a guy who’s thrown 85 passes in his career a week ago and kept him and a 5th round rookie over McCoy.
Last season McCoy complete 90 passes and 34
were for first downs. Zappe completed 65 and 37 were for first downs.

Washington is raving about Howell right now.
He's the best they've got. I also think he can be good. He threw for accuracy in college.

He's getting a starting opportunity, Zappe isn't. Howell doesn't have Mac ahead of him on the depth chart. Howell's been in the league since 2020.

This is commonplace on Pat's forums... every player every other team has is great, every Patriot player sucks.

In the meantime on those teams forums, their fans are complaining about the players the negative Nancys here are saying are great.

I remember the fans on a Pat's forum telling me years ago the Steelers were some genius drafters of the WR position because they had studs like Juju and James Washington. Now we have Juju and he's just average, and Washington just got cut by the Colts after getting cut by the Saints, released from the Giants practice squad.

Many negative types here save all their optimism for other team's projects and developmental players. Ours simply suck with no hope of improving.

When did he perform very well?
He was in Washington 5 years and won 1 game, threw 8 TDS and 7 picks.
He is not 37 and unearned by the most qb desperate team in the league.

Here is a stat for you that probably explains why Arizona’s traded for a guy who’s thrown 85 passes in his career a week ago and kept him and a 5th round rookie over McCoy.
Last season McCoy complete 90 passes and 34
were for first downs. Zappe completed 65 and 37 were for first downs.
Give me all the stats you want. I consider him capable. It's only my opinion.

It was preseason with OL issues, no game planning and he was playing with guys who will be working at UPS.
How long have been a talent evaluator for the patriots?

Under the same make shift O line.. Mac looked solid in green bay.. still no real game planning, scheming.. I'll give you the O line is problematic..

He's the best they've got. I also think he can be good. He threw for accuracy in college.

He's getting a starting opportunity, Zappe isn't. Howell doesn't have Mac ahead of him on the depth chart. Howell's been in the league since 2020.

This is commonplace on Pat's forums... every player every other team has is great, every Patriot player sucks.

In the meantime on those teams forums, their fans are complaining about the players the negative Nancys here are saying are great.

I remember the fans on a Pat's forum telling me years ago the Steelers were some genius drafters of the WR position because they had studs like Juju and James Washington. Now we have Juju and he's just average, and Washington just got cut by the Colts after getting cut by the Saints, released from the Giants practice squad.

Many negative types here save all their optimism for other team's projects and developmental players. Ours simply suck with no hope of improving.
It’s a mixed bag.

Under the same make shift O line.. Mac looked solid in green bay.. still no real game planning, scheming.. I'll give you the O line is problematic..
Mac looked solid? 6/9 62 yards no touchdowns no intercetions 82 qbr. With mostly the ones on offense, and the best o-line at the time. Woohoo here comes Canton.

From what I get regarding Mac vs Zappe from Evan Lazar last week on PU was, and I am paraphrasing, is that throwing deep, they are pretty similar. It’s on the medium and short throws where Mac has been separating himself. He has been a lot more consistent.

In my opinion, it’s hard to evaluate Zappe because it’s hard to quantify the impact of having to throw almost all camp to guys that probably won’t be on the roster with the 3rd OL since with all the injuries the 2nd OL was with Mac vs throwing to the 1st receiver.

Zappe has thrown almost the same amount of passes as Mac this camp. They wouldn’t have done that if they didn’t like him. I have a hard time seeing them cutting him.

Oh god don't you dare have an OPINION.. LOL
Wait, you posted this yesterday

Just don't comment if you don't agree that's all!

So which is it?

From what I get regarding Mac vs Zappe from Evan Lazar last week on PU was, and I am paraphrasing, is that throwing deep, they are pretty similar. It’s on the medium and short throws where Mac has been separating himself. He has been a lot more consistent.
Lazar did mention that. Don’t know if Mac was throwing to 1st receiver or not however but you might be right.

Last edited:
I get that Zappe had to play the bulk of the preseason games - all with a disastrous OL.
It's the same crap many gave Mac last year.
But, the difference is, Zappe doesn't provide any long-term benefit. He's not going to take over in 2 years IF for some reason the Pats move on from Mac. He doesn't provide any physical tools that you really need. So why not get either an established vet that can help Mac (like Siemian) who can also hold down the fort if needed - while looking for a developmental guy that brings something unique (like Malik). Then re-evaluate after this year.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back