PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Speculating on my optimism

Ever notice that its rare for an over hyped college QB to succeed at the next level?

Burrow is a rare example. Peyton Manning too. Guys like Josh Allen, Mahomes, Russel Wilson, Arron Rodgers, Brady fly under the radar and are ready to prove their merit in the Pros. I do not recall and pics of them smoking a cigar in the locker room like the legend Red Auerbach.

I have my doubts about Trevor Lawrence too.

All you have to do is take a look at the list of Quarterbacks who’ve won the Heisman. I’ll start at 1990.

1990: Ty Detmer
1992: Gino Torretta
1993: Charlie Ward
1996: Danny Wuerffel
2000: Chris Weinke
2001: Eric Couch
2002: Carson Palmer
2003: Jason White
2004: Matt Leinart
2006: Troy Smith
2007: Tim Tebow
2008: Sam Bradford
2010: Cam Newton
2011: RGIII
2012: Johnny Manziel
2013: Jameis Winston
2014: Marcus Mariota
2016: Lamar Jackson
2017: Baker Mayfield
2018: Kyler Murray
2019: Joe Burrow

Look at that collection of disappointments and disastrous busts. If you win the Heisman as a QB it’s a kiss of death for being a professional QB.

Even though he was a 1st round draft pick, I don't think Mac qualifies as an over hyped QB in college. He had to overcome a lot of internal competition to become the starter, did not win the Heisman and was dogged by the perception of a low ceiling at draft time. He definitely comes across as someone who does not take success for granted.

Even though he was a 1st round draft pick, I don't think Mac qualifies as an over hyped QB in college. He had to overcome a lot of internal competition to become the starter, did not win the Heisman and was dogged by the perception of a low ceiling at draft time. He definitely comes across as someone who does not take success for granted.
Jones was a Heisman finalist.

In fact Alabama had 3 QBs on the roster who were Heisman prospects all at the same time - Jones, Hurts and Tua.

In fact Alabama had 3 QBs on the roster who were Heisman prospects all at the same time - Jones, Hurts and Tua.
Alabama is a machine. Don't forget about Bryce Young who was supposed to start over Mac as a freshman. To your original point, this does not mean that Mac was overhyped coming into the NFL. He did not prepare or play like he was expecting his crazy physical talent was enough. Pretty discouraging that only 1 QB has won the national championship and a super bowl, Montana would be the perfect role model for Mac.

All you have to do is take a look at the list of Quarterbacks who’ve won the Heisman. I’ll start at 1990.

1990: Ty Detmer
1992: Gino Torretta
1993: Charlie Ward
1996: Danny Wuerffel
2000: Chris Weinke
2001: Eric Couch
2002: Carson Palmer
2003: Jason White
2004: Matt Leinart
2006: Troy Smith
2007: Tim Tebow
2008: Sam Bradford
2010: Cam Newton
2011: RGIII
2012: Johnny Manziel
2013: Jameis Winston
2014: Marcus Mariota
2016: Lamar Jackson
2017: Baker Mayfield
2018: Kyler Murray
2019: Joe Burrow

Look at that collection of disappointments and disastrous busts. If you win the Heisman as a QB it’s a kiss of death for being a professional QB.
Got a couple MVP'S & decent starters in there

NFL blew it with Flutie - not Doug's fault

"pound for pound" = "a guy who's too short"

Perhaps... But he still had the Easiest season a national championship (real or mythical) - winning QB had in the history of college football; and was maybe the first QB taken 15th overall or later whose former team's offense had superior talent than the professional team's by whom he was drafted...

Mac - as well as Parker & the left side of the OL - has a lot to prove tomorrow.

Perhaps... But he still had the Easiest season a national championship (real or mythical) - winning QB had in the history of college football; and was maybe the first QB taken 15th overall or later whose former team's offense had superior talent than the professional team's by whom he was drafted...

Mac - as well as Parker & the left side of the OL - has a lot to prove tomorrow.
I agree that Mac has not proven himself in the NFL at this point, but that was not the point of debate. To date Mac has not demonstrated the ability to lift the team above adversity and win when things are not going well. Tomorrow will be a good test.

So?

Those guys all had better weapons though. I don’t think we’ll see a major spike in mac’s numbers until he gets an elite weapon. Until then just hoping for steady improvements in the numbers and better decision making

Devante Parker not cutting it, then?

And some people still wonder why Saban is going to coach until he dies.

Saban has Mercedes dealerships, but unfortunately no cars to sell on the lot, thanks to the chip shortage!

So now saban is building his first hotel!!!!

That dude does not need to keep coaching. I think he does because his ego is bigger than mt. Everest!!!!!

And some people still wonder why Saban is going to coach until he dies.

Because he likes football ?

Saban has Mercedes dealerships, but unfortunately no cars to sell on the lot, thanks to the chip shortage!

So now saban is building his first hotel!!!!

That dude does not need to keep coaching. I think he does because his ego is bigger than mt. Everest!!!!!

Yep, Son of Lou likes power even more than he likes football... Bill likes assholes like that... LaRussa, Bobby Knight, Urban Meyer...

Saban can raise an eyebrow and get 10 five star recruits lined up to play for him. Saban as a person is such a colossal institution that he doesn’t need to go through the hellish recruiting grind that other teams, and this includes blue chip programs, need to go through every year. Saban doesn’t need to work to convince kids to come to Alabama. Other teams need to work to convince kids to not go to Alabama. Why ever stop when you can pencil in a Playoff appearance every season? Might not win it all but 12-13 wins automatically a year? Sounds good.

It was interesting to come to this thread after the first game was played. The tone changed a little, but I'm still confident because the Pats under Bill start slowly. They seem to be a work in progress more than most teams.

Here are some of my thoughts as I read this thread;

It's funny how so little confidence there was in Pitt but they look like they could be okay. I hope so anyway. I put 5,000 Dingle Dollars on them at (+400) to make the playoffs.

I'm not so sure that Watson will be as good after a couple of years off. We'll see I guess. Btw, has there ever been a player that was so unpopular, even with his own team's fans? As tough as it's been for them, having to pull for that dirtbag has taken them to a new low.

After one game the playoff teams are really pretty well set in the AFC if you look at it closely. Buf, Bal, Cin, KC, LC, Ten are 6 right off the bat.

Sorry to be so direct, but it's crazy talk to think that Josh was more important to the team's success than JC Jackson. C'mon man. :)
Well the D looks like they are not missing a beat from last year but the Offense however...

Tua throws for 6 TDs and over 500 yards against Baltimore. Ryan is cooked. Steelers look like I thought they would with Tribisky. Just a few thoughts after the first round of games of week two.

Saban has brought tons of money to the alabama campus and the school has used that money to upgrade other facilities and build new dorms!

Better facilities attract better athletes.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back