PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Special master rules in favor of Sauerbrun/NFLPA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Notice how many Bronco fans are getting bent about this? Like it's a mortal blow to the Patriots and the dynasty? And maybe just this much short of the end of the world, for New England, at least, if not the rest of the world?

No matter how you slice it, Steroid Boy is still just a punter, and the only reason he was on the squad last season was because the Pats lost not one, but two, punters to season-ending injury. If that situation does not happen, Sauerbrun is not even in the lexicon today.

We must face facts. The Broncos are still a 9-7 team, with zero chance of winning their division. Why, they might conceivably be battling the esteemed Oakland Raiders for last place out there!

That team needs all the help it can get, and adding this locker-room cancer is only something a Broncos fan could celebrate.

And should they ask, why did the Patriots exercise the right of first refusal then? Because they could! It was their right, just like it was Sauerbrun's right to re-seek employment in the Land of Oz.

It's that simple.

Proof positive that good things continue to happen to the Pats this off-season!

Good riddance to this guy!

???

Reread my post. The sellers included it, even though you, the buyer, knew they didn't mean to.
just giving u a hard time. normally, u would use a standard form to (as a BUYER) make an offer. So, the buyer would be the first to broach the refrigerator topic. In a standard form, it would not be included. So, for it toBE included, the first offer from the buyer would have to specifically reference the frig staying. Since they did not want it, they would not have referenced it. The seller then, in a counter offer, wouldn't mistakenly write the frig into the contract. In the end, I get your point, everyone must beware and be AWARE of what they are agreeing to. You cannot expect the other party to amend your mistakes for you.

I have no idea what happened, but it certainly looks like a rare hiccup by that typically well-oiled machine known as the Patriots' front office that can't be relying on the NFLPA to fix its mistakes. Sauerbrun's lawyer/agent had no obligation to point it out, since it advantaged his client.

Otherwise, it's water under the bridge or over the dam or whatever...

I have a suspicion that Gene Upshaw has a very strong dislike for Bob Kraft

and the Patriots. ...It shows their incompetence in checking out contracts

before approving them.

Do you have any evidence for the Upshaw comment? Pls share if you do.

As for "incompetence," I'm afraid the responsibility here rests with the Patriots. We can't expect other people to fix our mistakes.

just giving u a hard time. normally, u would use a standard form to (as a BUYER) make an offer. So, the buyer would be the first to broach the refrigerator topic. In a standard form, it would not be included. So, for it toBE included, the first offer from the buyer would have to specifically reference the frig staying. Since they did not want it, they would not have referenced it. The seller then, in a counter offer, wouldn't mistakenly write the frig into the contract. In the end, I get your point, everyone must beware and be AWARE of what they are agreeing to. You cannot expect the other party to amend your mistakes for you.

Sounds like a picked an example where not being in the real estate biz hung me up a bit -- but that's right, that's the general point. Maybe I should have used a more simple contract -- for "widgets" or something.

Interestingly, and you probably know this (and I doubt anyone else cares) the law of "fixtures" is not uniform state to state. In some states, some appliances actually are fixtures if they are connected (e.g., by a water hose) and have to be written out of the contract. I think the NAR has attempted to stay neutral on the issue, so it does not define "fixtures" or "personal property" in its standard fomr, but does give a laundry list (which, I imagine, does not include refrigerators, so you're right that they'd have to be added in by the seller in a counteroffer to make my example work). Although, the NAR may have state specific forms for the weird states like Louisianna.

There is no "MIND GAME" here. Shanahan had NOTHING to do with the situation. The NFLPA is the one that filed the greivance. It would seem that you don't have your facts correct.

OH, and the nickname given to the combination of Belichick and Pioli is Belioli.

One last thing, if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. All the guy did was do a parody of David Letterman based on your stupid initial post. If you are taking it to heart, then the porblem is with you.

Wow. Flippant remarks really don't translate over the internet.

Belioli? Still sounds like canned pasta.
Notice how many Bronco fans are getting bent about this? Like it's a mortal blow to the Patriots and the dynasty? And maybe just this much short of the end of the world, for New England, at least, if not the rest of the world?

No matter how you slice it, Steroid Boy is still just a punter, and the only reason he was on the squad last season was because the Pats lost not one, but two, punters to season-ending injury. If that situation does not happen, Sauerbrun is not even in the lexicon today.

We must face facts. The Broncos are still a 9-7 team, with zero chance of winning their division. Why, they might conceivably be battling the esteemed Oakland Raiders for last place out there!

That team needs all the help it can get, and adding this locker-room cancer is only something a Broncos fan could celebrate.

And should they ask, why did the Patriots exercise the right of first refusal then? Because they could! It was their right, just like it was Sauerbrun's right to re-seek employment in the Land of Oz.

It's that simple.

Proof positive that good things continue to happen to the Pats this off-season!

Good riddance to this guy!
Uh, your "dynasty" doesn't matter to me. I don't think this is going to matter at all, really, except help our dismal special teams. Coaches in the league play mind games with eachother. The more someone's confidence is shaken, the better.

And who exactly do you think will win our division? Obviously, The Chargers have a chance, but they'll see the Norvification of their team this year. He has the motivational qualities of a colobus monkey. His lifetime record of 3 wins against the AFC West isn't exactly impressive either. That team is like a dysfunctional little sister, even when they do go 14-2. My guess is tht we split the series with them this year. Kansas City is imploding. LJ is apparantly insufferable and the whole team hates him. There was rumors that Will Shields retired because he disliked him so strongly. Herm Edwards is a joke of a coach, you should know that by now. They've made no real good FA pickups despite having more wholes than your average sieve. Their once great offensive line is pretty much in shambles. And the Raiders? Lane Kiffin. That''s all you need to know. Even if they do take Calvin Johnson, he's not going to give Champ any problems. We, on the other hand, have Mike Shanahan as coach, an unstoppable offense (onpaper, obviously), and a defense that has good players, but needs an identity, since we have a new defensive coordinator and we've lost Al Wilson. Get some D-liine help in trading for Kris Jenkins and trading up to get Jamaal Anderson (no, not a pipe dream, apparently he's the Broncos #1 target and they'll do a lot to get him), draft a SAM linebacker and shift DJ Williams to the middle, we should be fine.

And I love how whenever you lose a player, it's "he sucked, he's a cancer" but before you were raving about his performance in the second half of the year. Right, good riddance. Your team wanted to retain him, so not good riddance. It's "****, that punter got away and now we're stuck with two injured punters?". How do punters get injured anyway?

Last edited:
It's not the league office's obligation to tell clubs if they've goofed under the CBA.

Actually, yes it is. The commissioner's office is responsible for making sure that all contracts meet the rules of the CBA. If a contract is submitted that doesn't meet the rules of the CBA, its supposed to be rejected.

Nor is it a player's obligation to inform a team that they've put something unenforceable in their contracts.

If you went to buy a house and overheard the husband telling the wife, "let's try to remember to not include the refrigerator in the contract" would you have a legal obligation to call up the sellers if they included the refrigerator in the contract? Nope. You might feel a moral obligation to do so, but that's your call, and I don't think players and clubs feel any such obligations toward each other.

No one claimed this so I don't see what your point is?

As for the this story, I kind of thing people are asking the wrong questions. Sure this is just about a punter. The question for me is whether the patriots tried this with anyone else more important and thus now have worthless ROFRs.

Why is it that you attempt to make the Patriots look like they were doing something under-handed?

Belioli? Still sounds like canned pasta.

Actually, it sounds like a damn good Italian Chef. Someone who is a master of his craft.

Oh, as for your flippant remarks, why do you think you got the responses you did? Because they were CLEARLY flippant....

Actually, it sounds like a damn good Italian Chef. Someone who is a master of his craft.

Oh, as for your flippant remarks, why do you think you got the responses you did? Because they were CLEARLY flippant....

I just don't appreciate people writing off my team BEFORE the season starts, especially because the Patriots can't seem to eke out a win against them...

A little good natured smacking never hurt anyone. Obviously some people didn't take it that way. Our teams have a rivalry. There's nothing wrong with that. I actually have quite a bit of respect for what the Patriots have done over this five year span.

Why is it that you attempt to make the Patriots look like they were doing something under-handed?

I think it is more of a, "if they missed it once, how many other times did they miss it?" which the answer would likely be none, but given the current new finding, they can have the players sign explicit waivers and fax them to the leauge and have that particular barn door shut before any more cows get out.

And I love how whenever you lose a player, it's "he sucked, he's a cancer" but before you were raving about his performance in the second half of the year. Right, good riddance. Your team wanted to retain him, so not good riddance. It's "****, that punter got away and now we're stuck with two injured punters?". How do punters get injured anyway?

Actually the majority around here were all for the Patriots not matching the Broncos offer in the first place. I thought the only reason they did it was to extort a late round draft pick. So at this point it is just an extended good-riddance. I an many other fans still would prefer a young guy to take the job.

I think it is more of a, "if they missed it once, how many other times did they miss it?" which the answer would likely be none, but given the current new finding, they can have the players sign explicit waivers and fax them to the leauge and have that particular barn door shut before any more cows get out.

Actually the majority around here were all for the Patriots not matching the Broncos offer in the first place. I thought the only reason they did it was to extort a late round draft pick. So at this point it is just an extended good-riddance. I an many other fans still would prefer a young guy to take the job.

I didn't see a majority of people saying that. I saw a 50/50 split. I doubt that the Broncos would have given you a pick for him. We do have a punter. It's not like Sauerbrun was absolutely necessary. We could just as easily drafted Sepulveda or someone else.

I didn't see a majority of people saying that. I saw a 50/50 split. I doubt that the Broncos would have given you a pick for him. We do have a punter. It's not like Sauerbrun was absolutely necessary. We could just as easily drafted Sepulveda or someone else.

Is it Sepulveda, or Ventura??

You would have parted with a seventh, you offer a guy a large incentive laden deal, you will part with a seventh to seal the deal.

Belioli? Still sounds like canned pasta.?

Here's a non sequitur if I've ever seen one....

Uh, your "dynasty" doesn't matter to me. I don't think this is going to matter at all, really, except help our dismal special teams. Coaches in the league play mind games with eachother(sic). The more someone's confidence is shaken, the better.?

Yes, it seems your coach's confidence, as well as your team's confidence, was shaken quite a bit in the second half of last season....

And who exactly do you think will win our division? Obviously, The Chargers have a chance, but they'll see the Norvification of their team this year. He has the motivational qualities of a colobus monkey. His lifetime record of 3 wins against the AFC West isn't exactly impressive either. That team is like a dysfunctional little sister, even when they do go 14-2. My guess is tht (sic) we split the series with them this year. Kansas City is imploding. LJ is apparantly (sic) insufferable and the whole team hates him. There was rumors that Will Shields retired because he disliked him so strongly. Herm Edwards is a joke of a coach, you should know that by now. They've made no real good FA pickups despite having more wholes (sic) than your average sieve. Their once great offensive line is pretty much in shambles. And the Raiders? Lane Kiffin. That''s all you need to know. Even if they do take Calvin Johnson, he's not going to give Champ any problems. We, on the other hand, have Mike Shanahan as coach, an unstoppable offense (onpaper (sic) , obviously), and a defense that has good players, but needs an identity, since we have a new defensive coordinator and we've lost Al Wilson. Get some D-liine help in trading for Kris Jenkins and trading up to get Jamaal Anderson (no, not a pipe dream, apparently he's the Broncos #1 target and they'll do a lot to get him), draft a SAM linebacker and shift DJ Williams to the middle, we should be fine.?

A classic case of whistling past the graveyard.

So you think the Bronx (as Armstrong so deftly refers to them) will split with San Diego this season, huh? Good luck with that one!

Just to bring you up to speed, there are not "rumors" Shields will retire. He already has!

Boy, you sure make a lot of assumptions to reach the conclusion the Broncos will be "fine"! But it does make for entertaining light reading...

I personally never said all that stuff about Sauerbrun. Although I've never liked the guy, I understood, in a resigned sort of way, why they signed him at the end of last season. But I also knew it was unlikely he'd return for another go-around with this team. I'll admit I was surprised when the matched the offer. I mean, why would they need this guy, let alone want him? Apart from maybe extracting a little from the Broncos, there was no real reason to do so.

So I'll stand by my earlier assessment, and say, once again, you can have him. And good luck.

As a post script, the Broncos' schedule looks like they drew it up. I mean, it's so filled with cream puffs, it looks like a pastry shop job! Now, I realize that's not your fault, but if you guys don't manage at least 11 wins against that JV schedule, you should seriously consider the season a failure.

Really.

And strictly out of curiousity, why do end your paragraphs with a question mark, even after putting a period in there? Are you trying to start some new writing fad amongst the functional illiterates in our society?

Just wondering....

Mike Reiss reports the Broncos have signed Sauerbrun.

The worst part of losing Sauerbrun is having to read Jeffrey Kessler's

remarks after the fact. He likes to rub it in.

Last edited:
The worst part of losing Sauerbrun is having to read Jeffrey Kessler's

remarks after the fact. He likes to rub it in.
At least Borges isn't around... he'd have a field day with how the Pats screwed up, how distracted Belichick must be, etc.

I'm thrilled about this. Not only does Shanny get to have the last laugh, we're no longer stuck with a ****ty punter. He forces fumbles, how many punters do that?

This was a hilarious little ***** fight while it lasted.

EAT IT BELICHICK!

(um, yeah, I'm done now. Sorry.)

Yeah, I wonder why Pats fans don't like Broncos fans :rolleyes:

That's right, Dragon. I went back and rechecked my post and I'm not sure why that guy thought I was saying the patriots did anything underhanded. My point was merely that they clearly goofed once. Who knows how many times they've goofed with other players, although I imagine it's not that many since I think ROFRs in contracts are not that common.

On your point, though, why would a player ever do that? If there are other contracts that the patriots have entered into in which the ROFR is part of the contract and not a separate document, why would any player now agree to sign a separate waiver? If I'm the player's agent, I tell the player to tell the Pats (or any other team that's made the mistake), "nope."

Big whoop, we don't get a 7th round pick for Sauerbrun from the Donks. Either way I was in favor of drafting Sepulveda or whoever they feel is the best punter in this year's draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back