Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony2046

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Every week after a game I like to look at the all-22 to see what went right and what went wrong. Afterwards I've enjoyed posting screenshots or game film and reading the feedback from the numerous knowledgeable posters and learning from their inputs.

Needless to say that the last few weeks have been just horrendous. The miscommunication has been dumbfounding. In short the first four weeks have been a disaster.

But something dawned on me during this last rewatch. I don't need to post a video. I don't need any feedback. Because I've already seen the problem and I know what the answer is. It's Hightower, McCourty, BB, and MP.

This team is stocked with Super Bowl winning leaders. There is no way that they let this **** show continue.
So sorry Tampa but General Hightower , Colonel McCourty and the rest of the crew are about to wreck your freaking day.

"There is no more mistakes, no more my bad, there's none of that no more"

We've seen this movie before. And it ends well.

Oh and by the way, we still have Tom F'ing Brady.

Last edited:
Not sure this team has the confidence to be "perfect", but would think on the spectrum of pure unadulterated crap and perfection, that they can at least trend towards the perfect side..

There is too much experience, talent, great coaching and leadership for this to continue..

The defense is going to be bad all year, and we need to be prepared. There isn't enough depth to go around to prevent it.

That said, the miscommunications in the secondary will get fixed. Gilmore will learn to keep his hands out of WRs faces. Eric Rowe won't get run over by most WRs. Once the secondary shores up. our bad defense will be good enough.

The defense is going to be bad all year, and we need to be prepared. There isn't enough depth to go around to prevent it.

That said, the miscommunications in the secondary will get fixed. Gilmore will learn to keep his hands out of WRs faces. Eric Rowe won't get run over by most WRs. Once the secondary shores up. our bad defense will be good enough.
Honestly, I think Belichick saw this coming, that’s why he tried to improve the offense to be even higher scoring. He knew he was going to lose Long and Sheard. He didn’t know he was gonna lose Ninkovich, but he really didn’t effectively replace those guys, except in the draft. And he had to know those players wouldn’t pay dividends THIS season.

Before the season began I felt this would be a really tough game. Short week on the road. An opponent with multiple offensive weapons (Mike Evans, DeSean Jackson, Doug Martin, Cameron Brate, rookie OJ Howard). That increases the chances of the defensive philosophy of neutralizing the opponent's best player less likely to succeed.

Unfortunately for the Bucs (and fortunately for the Patriots), Tampa Bay has serious defensive issues as well. Their three best players on defense are LB Lavonte David, DT Gerald McCoy and LB Kwon Alexander. David has a sprained ankle and won't play Thursday. Alexander has been dealing with a hamstring, and has played just 17 snaps this season (in their opener in week 2). McCoy is dealing with an ankle injury and will play, but is not 100%.

In addition safety (and cheap shot artist) TJ Ward missed last week with a hip injury, and probably will miss this game as well.

CB Brent Grimes is back from a shoulder injury. The other corners (Ryan Smith, Vernon Hargreaves) have not looked good at all this season.

The Buc defense made Case Keenum look like an All Pro two weeks ago. The Patriots should be able to move the ball and do well against them. Obvious question of course is how the New England defense performs. Evans is a player that poses problems for even the very best defenses.

Great points jmt57: the problem is I think this Pats D is facing too good an opponent Offensively at this time. Tampa has a lot of Players who can catch the Football. I see a shoot out all the way Tom Brady and the Offense will have to carry this Team for now, we need to be better than 50% on 3rd Downs. I am not expecting this Defense to make many key stops, I am hoping that Tampa make many mistakes Offensively. That's the only way I see us winning this.

If the Pats O is slow to start, expect a long night.

We also have the league's worst defense on short rest so...there's that.

I know. It's more of a wishful thinking post. I just can't imagine having all that super bowl champion leadership on one team and not being able to fix things enough to get the win. I think guys like Hightower are no BS type of guys.

That was the thought process.

Before the season began I felt this would be a really tough game. Short week on the road. An opponent with multiple offensive weapons (Mike Evans, DeSean Jackson, Doug Martin, Cameron Brate, rookie OJ Howard). That increases the chances of the defensive philosophy of neutralizing the opponent's best player less likely to succeed.

Unfortunately for the Bucs (and fortunately for the Patriots), Tampa Bay has serious defensive issues as well. Their three best players on defense are LB Lavonte David, DT Gerald McCoy and LB Kwon Alexander. David has a sprained ankle and won't play Thursday. Alexander has been dealing with a hamstring, and has played just 17 snaps this season (in their opener in week 2). McCoy is dealing with an ankle injury and will play, but is not 100%.

In addition safety (and cheap shot artist) TJ Ward missed last week with a hip injury, and probably will miss this game as well.

CB Brent Grimes is back from a shoulder injury. The other corners (Ryan Smith, Vernon Hargreaves) have not looked good at all this season.

The Buc defense made Case Keenum look like an All Pro two weeks ago. The Patriots should be able to move the ball and do well against them. Obvious question of course is how the New England defense performs. Evans is a player that poses problems for even the very best defenses.

Ward being injured is a relief, every time we play him it feels like Russian roulette

Honestly, I think Belichick saw this coming, that’s why he tried to improve the offense to be even higher scoring. He knew he was going to lose Long and Sheard. He didn’t know he was gonna lose Ninkovich, but he really didn’t effectively replace those guys, except in the draft. And he had to know those players wouldn’t pay dividends THIS season.

That's hard to believe. When is the last time a team won a Super Bowl with a defense that was weak and untrustworthy?

Mike Evans and DeSean Jackson against this D seems kinda like a mismatch ...
It depends on how they choose to play it and how much pressure they end up getting on Winston.

If they give him as much time as the first four QBs, we may see some more big passing plays. Luckily, I think Winston is the least efficient passer out of who we've faced, so far. Time will tell if that's true or not.

Expecting an 80 yard bomb td to Jackson on a Gilmore blown coverage

It depends on how they choose to play it and how much pressure they end up getting on Winston.

If they give him as much time as the first four QBs, we may see some more big passing plays. Luckily, I think Winston is the least efficient passer out of who we've faced, so far. Time will tell if that's true or not.

Less efficent than 2017 Cam Newton and Rookie QB Watson? Not in my opinion ...

Less efficent than 2017 Cam Newton and Rookie QB Watson? Not in my opinion ...
Well, yeah, it's certainly debatable, but I think we've seen plenty of examples of Winston making poor decisions when pressured, both in college and in the pros.

Watson had 2 INTs and Newton had 1, so I certainly think it's possible to force Winston into throwing a couple as well, particularly under some pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back