PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sony Michel retires after 5 seasons

Yes, it was worth it.

They had won their only championship over 20 years ago. Clearly doing it the other wasn’t working either which is why they went all in.
That 2018 ring was worth drafting Sony in the first.

If Sony’s knees held up he would have been entirely worth his draft position… and the Pats still would have let him walk after his rookie deal ended.

Not referring to you, but it’s funny how negative nancy’s here insist the Rams giving up seven years worth of firsts and putting themselves in a cap debt canyon was completely worth it because they won a single ring.

But using one first on Sony, who ran us to a championship in 2018 was a waste. This is the NN way… all things Patriots suck, no matter how successful they were.
I think you make valid points . If the pass blocking was the most crucial thing for the 2018 super bowl ring then Michel pick is worth it's weight in gold just for that . And we had 3 decent seasons.

Considering wynn, Nkeal Harry, Easley , barmore till now -- Sony Michel is a home run . Barmore only 2 seasons and will prolly be a playmaker this season or next but still has not had the one dominant season like what sony had in his rookie year.

I think you make valid points . If the pass blocking was the most crucial thing for the 2018 super bowl ring then Michel pick is worth it's weight in gold just for that . And we had 3 decent seasons.

Considering wynn, Nkeal Harry, Easley , barmore till now -- Sony Michel is a home run . Barmore only 2 seasons and will prolly be a playmaker this season or next but still has not had the one dominant season like what sony had in his rookie year.
Wynn, Sony, N’Keal… all drafting for need while “going all in.”

Barmore has drawn some of the most double teams in the league when healthy. That doesn’t show up in the stat sheet, but it’s really good nonetheless.

The guy's retired... Some people need to let things go... It's not like we haven't heard the same **** over and over for half a decade

Last edited:
We had two First Rounders that Draft and Drafted two Meh players. Watched both Chubb And Michel and don't know how the Patriots chose Sony. The word was he was the better pass catcher yet he couldn't catch a cold. It's like Drafting Harry over A.J. Brown the Patriots have a disturbing pattern.
How many rings does Nick Chubb have? He would have barely played his rookie year, due to the fact that he couldn't pass protect, it was something he learned later (and he's still not great at it).

Michel was able to plug and play, and without him, they don't win in 2018. Chubb wouldn't have been able to do that, and you had a 40 year old QB. It's rare when you can invest for the future AND fill holes in a win-now roster.

I don't blame the guy. With guys like Zeke, Cook, Taylor, etc having to fight tooth and nail to get decent contracts, he's probably thinking, "If I'm only going to get the minimum for a few more years, why wait until I can't walk anymore to retire?"

Thanks for 2018 Sony! Honestly, the touchdowns in that playoff run are one thing, but the most important run he had was his last one where he ripped off like 30 yards on first down when they needed to kill clock at the end of the Super Bowl. Really set a tone and demoralized that Rams defense, and led to them having a full field to cover when they were making a last ditch attempt at a comeback.

Best of luck to him!
He had a great rookie year. I had fallen asleep prior to the Sony Michel draft pick, and was awoken by a text from my uncle saying “great pick, Pats got Sony Michel”. He actually was my favorite player heading into the 2018 draft, and was so happy the Pats had drafted him. I thought he would be the perfect replacement for Dion Lewis. I liked him better than Chubb, because Michel seemed faster and a better pass catcher at Georgia.

I had watched his career at Georgia, and that great playoff game vs Oklahoma where I think he had 4 TDs, including a 76 yard run, a one handed touchdown catch, and the game winning 25 yard td run in OT that got them into the NCAA championship game.

I think he just never looked like the back he was at Georgia, where he was explosive. His rookie year, he was really good, but the knee injury at camp, and then in the Chicago game, really seemed to make that explosiveness disappear. He never regained that, though he had some decent years with the Pats. He had over 1200 yards and 12 TDs as a rookie in 16 games (13 regular season and 3 playoff games). Averaged 4.5 yards a carry. So I had high hopes for him.

Had 900+ yards his second season, but averaged less per carry, under 4 yards a carry. And then his injury shortened 2020 season was so weird, where he seemed to regain his explosiveness, averaging 5.7 yards a carry. 3 of his 5 seasons he rushed for over 800+ yards, not a bad little career. Never the back I thought he would be, and obviously Chubb would’ve been the better pick, but Michel was a key player in that 2018 season, had over 100+ yards in both the SD and KC playoff games, over 90 in the SB against a tough Rams defense, and scored 6 TDs in the playoffs. Just a great playoffs. Shame he could never be that back who was so explosive in Georgia and had that legendary game vs Oklahoma (watched that one live).

Sony helped the Patriots win a Super Bowl so his draft position is probably moot without the benefit of hindsight.

Lol yeah I don’t care too much about proper English on a football forum.
Honestly it’s the least of my concerns.

You're communicating here via the written word. Might as well put effort into doing it right, both as a courtesy to others and to get your thoughts across effectively. If you hope to be taken seriously, that is.

I bring it up cause I hated picking that position in the first I hated taking that player with his injury history and not really being the starter or best back on his own team, When Tom Effing Brady said prior to the draft Lamar was a beast and at the time the longevity of Brady was up for debate,
The fact that Mcdaniels worked him out the night prior to the draft there was a lot of smoke he would come to NE and learn from Josh and Tom.
Instead we took a position which had been handled well here by role players and journey men.
The fact he is retired and Lamar is one of the highest paid QBs In the NFL refuels that fire.
I thank Sony for his playoff contributions his rookie year that helped us out tremendously.
However doesn’t warrant the pick over a Special talent like Jackson.

giphy-4.gif

Was Sony Awesome?

Not really.

Was he a solid contributor?

I think so.
Sometimes that’s all it comes down to.

Was Jr Redmond a good running back? No, but whenever I think of him, I only think of that amazing play from dump off by Brady and how he kept the drive alive to win the first superbowl. Wiggins had that great catch and run on that drive as well and also a similar clutch catch in the snow bowl. Antwan Harris fg block vs Pitt. They weren’t great players by any standard but to me they were legendary when their numbers were called in the biggest moment. Same goes for Butler, Michel, Mitchel and others.

I hope he got a good advisor coming out of college and saved a lot of that money. It would be great to be 28 and financially secure for the rest of your life. It would suck to be 28 having already made most of the money he'll ever make and have nothing in the bank.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back