PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sony Michel retires after 5 seasons

Good for Sony...

I liked him, and for all his faults, he was a key contributor in LIII... For that alone, he's a Patriot for life in my book...

now i hope he goes forth and exploits that name for a built in corporate sponsorship...

It’s really only been 5 seasons? Feels like a lot longer. Thanks for the great postseason Sony! Always welcome back in NE.

I don't blame the guy. With guys like Zeke, Cook, Taylor, etc having to fight tooth and nail to get decent contracts, he's probably thinking, "If I'm only going to get the minimum for a few more years, why wait until I can't walk anymore to retire?"

Thanks for 2018 Sony! Honestly, the touchdowns in that playoff run are one thing, but the most important run he had was his last one where he ripped off like 30 yards on first down when they needed to kill clock at the end of the Super Bowl. Really set a tone and demoralized that Rams defense, and led to them having a full field to cover when they were making a last ditch attempt at a comeback.

Best of luck to him!

i always thought he look like marshall faulk

Another example why it is unfair to hold RBs to the tag.

Few make it seven years, and at 28 almost none are worth a large contract.

Sony is smart not to beat his body up for a veteran minimum contract.

Yes. This. I believe not taking Lamar at that point in first round when he was clearly the-best and most talented player available at a time when they desperatly needed a post Brady QB plan.
Lamar has one playoff victory in his career…

And what is Brady saying to you taking a QB in the first after taking less money for the last four years?

Good call.

Last edited:
We had two First Rounders that Draft and Drafted two Meh players. Watched both Chubb And Michel and don't know how the Patriots chose Sony. The word was he was the better pass catcher yet he couldn't catch a cold. It's like Drafting Harry over A.J. Brown the Patriots have a disturbing pattern.
I just explained this above. In fact Nick Caesario told us why immediately after the draft in an interview. Sony understood complex pass blocking schemes and could play immediately. They needed a back who could play immediately a year after Dion Lewis left.

A RB’s inability to pass block is how Alex Smith’s leg got bent into a pretzel and almost ended his career. This isn’t fantasy football.

Watching him in person in Atlanta was a joy. Good luck! Great postseason that year set record for most postseason tds for a rookie RB

Taking a RB was the right call and Michel was viewed as a dual threat. I had no problem with the pick, but his his injury history worried me.

I absolutely hated the Wynn pick which I wanted to be Ridley to replace Cooks.

Taking Lamar Jackson would’ve been idiotic.

I just explained this above. In fact Nick Caesario told us why immediately after the draft in an interview. Sony understood complex pass blocking schemes and could play immediately. They needed a back who could play immediately a year after Dion Lewis left.

A RB’s inability to pass block is how Alex Smith’s leg got bent into a pretzel and almost ended his career. This isn’t fantasy football.
They could have easily found another RB who could block in later rounds. Sony was hardly a unique talent

Lamar has one playoff victory in his career…

And what is Brady saying to you taking a QB in the first after taking less money for the last four years?

Good call.
Lamar was the Heisman trophy winner and had off the chart athletic measurables. You do not pass on that at 31 because Tom might be upset. You also fail to mention LJ has won an MVP.
How many MVPs have Wynn or Michel won?

Taking a RB was the right call and Michel was viewed as a dual threat. I had no problem with the pick, but his his injury history worried me.

I absolutely hated the Wynn pick which I wanted to be Ridley to replace Cooks.

Taking Lamar Jackson would’ve been idiotic.
Didn’t mind the Wynn pick because I thought we were getting a future all pro guard. Just didn’t work out that way.

Honestly, I don’t get hung up in the we should have picked this guy stuff like some of the others. Well, Just one time because old draft guru Manxman had me completely sold on Aj Brown and that’s one player I really wanted.

They could have easily found another RB who could block in later rounds. Sony was hardly a unique talent
Who?

Sony and Wynn were the highest rated players at their respective positions available. They needed a starting RB and OT so they took two from the national championship contending team.

What you know now years later about who they could have taken later in the draft is worthless in 2018.

Last edited:
Lamar was the Heisman trophy winner and had off the chart athletic measurables. You do not pass on that at 31 because Tom might be upset. You also fail to mention LJ has won an MVP.
How many MVPs have Wynn or Michel won?
Wynn and Michel have a Super Bowl ring… Lamar has struggled to get out of the wildcard round.

Fantasy stats isn’t the goal of real life football.

It's crazy. The league uses RBs less and less in this era, but their careers get shorter and shorter. Most RBs was out by about age 28 these days. Even back in the day when teams were run first offenses they seemed to hang onto until 30. I don't get the change. Corey Dillon was 30 in 2004. In today's NFL, it would be extremely rare to see a top RB be that old. The Pats are looking at a 28 year old Zeke Elliot who has been significantly on the decline for several years now. The Cowboys overused him, but no more so than the Bengals used Dillon before the Pats acquired him.

Michel was never worth his draft position, but he played a decent role in the 2018 Super Bowl run and was a serviceable RB. And now he is retired at 28.

Again Sony, played a key role in the 2018 season. So I will always appreciate what he did for the Pats even if he never lived up to expectations.

Michel was never worth his draft position, but he played a decent role in the 2018 Super Bowl run and was a serviceable RB. And now he is retired at 28.
If Sony’s knees held up he would have been entirely worth his draft position… and the Pats still would have let him walk after his rookie deal ended.

Not referring to you, but it’s funny how negative nancy’s here insist the Rams giving up seven years worth of firsts and putting themselves in a cap debt canyon was completely worth it because they won a single ring.

But using one first on Sony, who ran us to a championship in 2018 was a waste. This is the NN way… all things Patriots suck, no matter how successful they were.

It's crazy. The league uses RBs less and less in this era, but their careers get shorter and shorter. Most RBs was out by about age 28 these days.
It’s bizarre indeed.
Not referring to you, but it’s funny how negative nancy’s here insist the Rams giving up seven years worth of firsts and putting themselves in a cap debt canyon was completely worth it because they won a single ring.
Yes, it was worth it.

They had won their only championship over 20 years ago. Clearly doing it the other wasn’t working either which is why they went all in.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back