PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Someone from outside NE gets it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VegasGuy

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Good to see that there are at least SOME people who still have a modicum of sanity that reside in Pittsburgh. He correctly files this under the ?Stupid rule, but correct call" title. You can't blame the Pats for a rule devised by the rules committee that INCLUDES Mike Tomlin, and has never included Bill Bellichick.

Thanks for the link

Someone on Reddit pointed out that if they change this rule all those times the receiver seems to complete the catch as he falls to the ground and loses grasp of the ball which rolls away would become fumbles not incompletions.

I'm not saying I love the rule but I don't know if there is a better way to codify a catch without opening up a bigger can of worms.

Good to see that there are at least SOME people who still have a modicum of sanity that reside in Pittsburgh. He correctly files this under the ?Stupid rule, but correct call" title. You can't blame the Pats for a rule devised by the rules committee that INCLUDES Mike Tomlin, and has never included Bill Bellichick.

Thanks for the link
Anyone who is disputing the call is not worth any time arguing with. You can argue about the rule but the call was right and there is no doubt about it. Cry me a river, Steelers fans.

Sports talk radio was one whine-fest this AM. Dan Patrick, Lebatard, some idiot on CBS were all complaining about how calls should not fail "the eye test"

I didn't tune to Wingo and Golic, but in general it was 100% pandering to the whiny Pats-hating masses.

So pathetic!

These days, though, their salty tears no longer even bother me. Instead they make me laugh.

Someone on Reddit pointed out that if they change this rule all those times the receiver seems to complete the catch as he falls to the ground and loses grasp of the ball which rolls away would become fumbles not incompletions.

I'm not saying I love the rule but I don't know if there is a better way to codify a catch without opening up a bigger can of worms.
That’s the real issue. No one who calls it a bad rule can give you a better rule.
People are hung up on breaking the plane but you have to break the plane WITH POSSESSION and a catch is not complete, and therefore possession established unless you finish the process.
The rule says James doesn’t have possession until he completes the catch. If you change that a player could bobble the ball over the goal line, never catch it and be awarded a TD.
The standard to be awarded a TD should be as high or higher than the standard on any given play, not lower.

No, he doesn't get it, because he thinks a fair, necessary rule is stupid.

That's really the funny part about the controversies that are started over the catch rules: they exist the way they do at least as much to help the offense as to help the defense. I remember when these rules were being changed to their current iterations one of the justifications was to prevent "cheap fumbles" where the receiver didn't really have possession before the D is able to knock it out.

Sports talk radio was one whine-fest this AM. Dan Patrick, Lebatard, some idiot on CBS were all complaining about how calls should not fail "the eye test"

I didn't tune to Wingo and Golic, but in general it was 100% pandering to the whiny Pats-hating masses.

So pathetic!

These days, though, their salty tears no longer even bother me. Instead they make me laugh.
Wingo is an idiot.
He was arguing that “it should look the same” saying when a guy dives to the goal line them drops the ball he gets a TD. He seems to not understand you have to actually make the catch to have possession.
Golic pointed out why should you have a different rule for a 4th and 4 than a TD and that if they changed the rule tons of incompletes will become fumbles.
Wingo has no answer.

This is exactly the issue. The rule gives the receiver as much chance to secure the ball as possible without completely nullifying all other possession rules in the book.

So pathetic!

Nice to have another palm beacher here. I was hearing them whine this morning also. The biggest whiners were the ones that predicted a Steelers victory. They lose all of their objectivity because this.

I find it funny that none of these pundits are saying "You know what? Jesse James: Hold onto the ball, man. You're an NFL tight end with huge hands. Just don't lose control of the ball when literally nobody is touching you and we're not having this discussion."

Anyone who is disputing the call is not worth any time arguing with. You can argue about the rule but the call was right and there is no doubt about it. Cry me a river, Steelers fans.
Well you should tell Steven A and Max on ESPN's first take that. They out and out lied for 5 minutes trying to disprove the call. They used semi-truths and partial quotations of the parts of the catch rule to try and add legitimacy to was was CLEARLY not a catch, as the stupid rules define it. It was really painful to watch, because they were both completely transparent in their effort to paint the officials as wrong and the Pats as the beneficiaries of a call, "again". :rolleyes: I actually turned it on because I was naively hoping for better. I expected at least one of them to show some sense. ;)

The refs picked up a flag for illegal man down field on the first Steelers TD. The replay clearly shows at least 2 Steelers linemen about 5 yards downfield when the ball is thrown.

The pats haters are in full blown misery mode. It is glorious. If we can just win another superbowl and put another dagger in them, it would be great.

It is so sad what society has become. Bitter, jealous, hypocrites

Well you should tell Steven A and Max on ESPN's first take that. They out and out lied for 5 minutes trying to disprove the call. They used semi-truths and partial quotations of the parts of the catch rule to try and add legitimacy to was was CLEARLY not a catch, as the stupid rules define it. It was really painful to watch, because they were both completely transparent in their effort to paint the officials as wrong and the Pats as the beneficiaries of a call, "again". :rolleyes: I actually turned it on because I was naively hoping for better. I expected at least one of them to show some sense. ;)

They have been calling that consistently! It's one thing if they hadn't been calling it consistently but the refs knew right away from replay that it wasn't a catch. I believe they said the rule has change since 1999. It's funny but if we had been in the steelers side than nobody would have given a F*ck!

I find it funny that none of these pundits are saying "You know what? Jesse James: Hold onto the ball, man. You're an NFL tight end with huge hands. Just don't lose control of the ball when literally nobody is touching you and we're not having this discussion."

That would require accountability which doesn’t exist in the participation trophy era. Its easier to make excuses for one teams success than to get it done on the field.

Putting yesterday's "non-catch" aside, I believe the NFL has correctly crafted what a catch is. Sure the replay aspect of getting the call right is tedious and time consuming but I absolutely agree with the interpretation. When I watch a college football game and how little is required to make a legal catch...factor in the one foot rule...it's kind of a joke. The NFL got this one right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back