PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

some will see this as blasphemy, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

neckroll#14

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Bear with me. There is absolutely nothing more Brady & Belichik need to so to cement their legacy as the GOAT QB/Coach tandem of all time... Unless you are brain damaged like Marshall Faulk, this is no longer in dispute. All that's left is individual accolades.

All the haters can come up with now is Brady made Belichick (look at his record in Cleveland!) or Belichick made Brady (he's a system QB! The pats went 11-5 with Matt Freakin' Casssell!). So its time to break them up and build their legacies on their own. Consider:

Brady is a So. Cal boy, Montana was his hero, his mom (in California) has cancer. He's taken below-market contracts for years. With his buy-in, trade him to the 49ers for a king's ransom, with a pre-agreed contract to pay him the money the GOAT QB deserves. He gets to be paid like he should, be near his mom, Giselle gets to be in a place better for her career, and he gets to add to his legacy by getting a sorry franchise out of the dumpster.

The 49ers sell tickets, because this is a major PR coup... they also don't have much at QB at the moment.

Jimmy G gets the reins and Belichick will prove his greatness by bringing a championship to the Pats without Brady.. the trade compensation will help this (two #1s plus maybe more from a high-picking crappy team?). Belichick wins (or goes deep into the tournament with Jimmy, proves again his incredible skill, and turns over the team to his successor.

Kraft gets his franchise QB for the next decade... you know he must be thinking beyond the GOATs for what the next 10-12 years will bring. Certainly Jonathan is. It must eat at him that we have a potential star QB that he invested in, coached by Belichik, and mentored by Brady... that may take his greatness to some other team. As awesome as he is, Brady is 40, and down to a couple or three superior years.. he will be gone too soon, then what?

Under this scenario:
Brady wins
Belichick wins
Krafts win
JAG wins
49ers win (or some other team)
Even we fans win for the long haul... our franchise should be secure and we can still root for Brady

The NFL is theater... here to entertain, not cure cancer, drive world peace or anything else. Wouldn't this be entertaining? I picture Belichick, Brady, and Kraft smoking cigars and mapping this all out. While we think JAG is tee'd up for a trade, I wonder if a classic misdirection play will unfold.

What do you think?

I'm sorry but I stopped reading at "it's time for them to build their own legacies".

Did the OP end up suggesting they trade Brady?

I think it is pretty stupid, as much as he is a "Bay Area Guy" he is a Patriot.. Mr. Kraft is a fan first and a business man close second, #12 is the face of his product and he knows what he has.. would not be surprised that at the end of his career that #12 has some type of real or titular role with the Pats Organization..

After Matt Cassel, Brian Hoyer, Ryan Mallet, Kevin O'Connell etc. my skepticism only increases.

We don't really know the extent of his mother's illness or her prognosis.. lots of assumptions, it appears to be cancer, but little else.

I think Jacoby Brisset is heir apparent to #12....

There is no doubt that of Bill saw Brady even approaching a cliff, this trade would be on. Bill is staying around at least for the transition to the next guy, and that transition will have nothing to do with sentimentality. It would be brutal, and tears would be shed. We will not be waking up one day to a Brady retirement and thinking 'oh ****, this year's quarterback class is bloody awful'. The situation will be in hand

However, Tom isn't approaching that cliff. He is better at 39 than he was at 29 I feel. His body condition means I can see another three years at least. Therefore the maths for getting rid doesn't add up yet.

They like Brissett, and although I pity the guy who takes over from the GOAT, it is obvious they think he has it

The sum of all you propose is in the best interest of the NFL* at large.

After all the sh*t that the NFL has flung at the players (Brady, Belichick, & Kraft), why would they all conspire to help the league individually as proposed?

They have been to battle together. They have been to war together. They have won more than they have lost. They don't do what they do for themselves. They do it for each other.

“When a warrior fights not for himself, but for his brothers, when his most passionately sought goal is neither glory nor his own life's preservation, but to spend his substance for them, his comrades, not to abandon them, not to prove unworthy of them, then his heart truly has achieved contempt for death, and with that he transcends himself and his actions touch the sublime. That is why the true warrior cannot speak of battle save to his brothers who have been there with him. The truth is too holy, too sacred, for words." - Steven Pressfield, Gates of Fire

That is the core cultural tenet that Belichick brought to the team, that Kraft cultivated, and that Brady perfectly embodies. It has been a perfect storm.

To be personally honest, since 2001 I've admitted to myself that this franchise under this GM and head coach knows what it is doing and has a strategic vision for the future that is well thought out. Ultimately, I'm just a fan along for this dreamlike ride.

Can this dream turn into a nightmare? After 5 Super Bowls and constant division championships, I have a hard time swallowing that. Suppose everything that the OP puts forth happens...does this mean our fanbase should go full SafeSpace/Cupcake on BB and Kraft? I'd stick it out....with pleasure.

bill-belichick-stare.jpg

Bear with me. There is absolutely nothing more Brady & Belichik need to so to cement their legacy as the GOAT QB/Coach tandem of all time... Unless you are brain damaged like Marshall Faulk, this is no longer in dispute. All that's left is individual accolades.

All the haters can come up with now is Brady made Belichick (look at his record in Cleveland!) or Belichick made Brady (he's a system QB! The pats went 11-5 with Matt Freakin' Casssell!). So its time to break them up and build their legacies on their own. Consider:

Brady is a So. Cal boy, Montana was his hero, his mom (in California) has cancer. He's taken below-market contracts for years. With his buy-in, trade him to the 49ers for a king's ransom, with a pre-agreed contract to pay him the money the GOAT QB deserves. He gets to be paid like he should, be near his mom, Giselle gets to be in a place better for her career, and he gets to add to his legacy by getting a sorry franchise out of the dumpster.

The 49ers sell tickets, because this is a major PR coup... they also don't have much at QB at the moment.

Jimmy G gets the reins and Belichick will prove his greatness by bringing a championship to the Pats without Brady.. the trade compensation will help this (two #1s plus maybe more from a high-picking crappy team?). Belichick wins (or goes deep into the tournament with Jimmy, proves again his incredible skill, and turns over the team to his successor.

Kraft gets his franchise QB for the next decade... you know he must be thinking beyond the GOATs for what the next 10-12 years will bring. Certainly Jonathan is. It must eat at him that we have a potential star QB that he invested in, coached by Belichik, and mentored by Brady... that may take his greatness to some other team. As awesome as he is, Brady is 40, and down to a couple or three superior years.. he will be gone too soon, then what?

Under this scenario:
Brady wins
Belichick wins
Krafts win
JAG wins
49ers win (or some other team)
Even we fans win for the long haul... our franchise should be secure and we can still root for Brady

The NFL is theater... here to entertain, not cure cancer, drive world peace or anything else. Wouldn't this be entertaining? I picture Belichick, Brady, and Kraft smoking cigars and mapping this all out. While we think JAG is tee'd up for a trade, I wonder if a classic misdirection play will unfold.

What do you think?

Trading to crystalize legacies is non sensical.

If you want to stir up the fan base , say the Pats should trade TB12 to SF for 3 1st Rd picks an assortment of mid-rounders and their 3 best defensive players.

Even then ....No way. This train still has plenty of track

no offense to OP but...... NO !

This is a Madden move. Jimmy G's potential is high so let's move the older player and in a few years his rating will grow into the same.

Life doesn't work that way.

If we keep Jimmy somehow, he could be an All Pro and still not be half the player Brady is. Jacoby might be the 2nd-best QB in the history of football, but he would still only be the 2nd-best QB in Patriots history.

The next guy likely isn't going to be as good as Brady. Neither is the guy after that. Or the next ten guys. Yes, the 49ers got Young to take over for Montana, and while he was great, he wasn't as good as Joe. The Packers got Rodgers to take over for Brett, but Rodgers has yet to overtake Brett. He may one day, but so far, he hasn't.

Then you look at the Bills after Kelly, the Dolphins after Marino, the Cowboys after Staubach, then after Aikmen. These are great players, but not GOAT-worthy, and it took forever for some of those teams to find replacements, and some of them still haven't.

What we are witnessing will never be seen again. Enjoy these last few years, however few or many they may be. Cherish each moment, every time Brady runs out of the tunnel, every 4th-quarter comeback, every audible out to the perfect play, followed by a precise pass dissecting the defense, because you may not see it again in your lifetime.

That's why it drives me nuts when people suggest we rest Brady in the regular season (like some wanted to against Cleveland), or think we can easily replace him with Jimmy G. He is the GREATEST OF ALL TIME. ****ing respect the GOAT, pay witness to every single play we have left, don't waste any of this, don't try to ruin today because you're worried about tomorrow. Because this is a once-in-a-lifetime thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft