PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Some things to think about during the bye week

Status
Not open for further replies.
teamplay said:
Excellent post. I'm not one who's worried about this team; if every other team improves 5% each week, the Pats improve 10% -- by the end of the year, they're scary. The adjustments are being made; this team will be very competitive.

Having said that, your comparison between Manning and Brady really surprised me -- much closer than I would have guessed. Not that total yards means a darn thing, but I just looked at the stats:

2006 Total Offense Yardage
Indy 357 ypg
NE 337 ypg

2005 Total Offense Yardage
Indy 362 ypg
NE 352 ypg

Much closer than I ever would have guessed.

Whats sad is that nobody is mentioning anything about Manning's body language or loosing WR's... but they have very similar scores... We have to be proud of our guys...

maxhagen said:
Whats sad is that nobody is mentioning anything about Manning's body language or loosing WR's... but they have very similar scores... We have to be proud of our guys...

I guess no one ever noticed how Manning looked walking off the field in Foxboro during the playoffs.

Excellent post! Good start for this team that is still developing.

jczxohn1 said:
Excellent post! Good start for this team that is still developing.

Thanks man, yeah that's what I'm thinking too. Brady keeps talking about how this team is still finding it's identity. Well, if they're still searching at 4-1, then I think I'll be happy what they come up with once it's all come together.

the bye week is a nice time to see where we are and where we can go. At this point I think we all have to agree that we are ahead of last year despite all of the drama and the sky is falling of the WR sistuation. One reason is the killer schedule we had to start last year and the other is the defense has gelled a lot earlier. With that I hope (as I said in another post) that like last year toward the end of the season the defense starts to be "unleashed" shall I say. we have also been able to stay relatively healthy compared to years past which is a big plus.
the pats are always a work in progress in the BB era. I dont see this year being any different and that is a VERY good thing for us as Pats fans.

ps thanks for the breakdown Brownfan

Frankly this is an excellent post and discussion.
Count me as one of those fans who appreciate what we do right.
Superb coaching.
Good player selection and valuation.

We have 7 games against teams which to date have won a total of 7 games altogether.

Then we have INDY,CHI,MINN and JAC and we should match up well with INDY and JAC.

But like you, I am full of optimism...

Brownfan80 said:
For all the posts that are responding negatively to the playcalling and gameplanning, let me take this moment to point out some of the SUCCESS we have had this season (besides the obvious 4-1 start).
I'm still wondering what anti-depressants you're now on? :p

Box_O_Rocks said:
I'm still wondering what anti-depressants you're now on? :p

Not wanting to get lumped in with that other crowd has really done the trick.

That and a 4-1 record. :D

Brownfan80 said:
Great points on the looming Indy game. I'd certainly be happy if we ran for over 200 yards against them. If the game even remotely resembled the Bengals game I'd be absolutely thrilled.

quote]

I have a feeling that the coaching staff will be studying the film from the Titans-Colts from this past weekend. The Titans ran for 214 yards (V. Young had about 64 of them) and nearly pulled it out.

Patsfanin Philly said:
I have a feeling that the coaching staff will be studying the film from the Titans-Colts from this past weekend. The Titans ran for 214 yards (V. Young had about 64 of them) and nearly pulled it out.

I think I'd die if Tom had 64 yards rushing, lol.

But no, I'm sure you're right. Obviously there is some flaw that can be exploited in that defense.

Any idea if Bob Sanders is expected back by then? He'd help that run D I'm sure. He's small but he's a good hitter and very quick to the ball.

Brownfan80 said:

I gotta get me summa' dat!

Clonamery said:
I gotta get me summa' dat!

Just read the majority of posts on the board, there's plenty to go around. ;)

Brownfan80 said:

:D

:woohoo: Great post 80! And loved your response to Box too!!! Thank god for these posts of good football talk with the occasional wry wit!! Keeps me hanging in at this board!

PatsChick87 said:
:woohoo: Great post 80! And loved your response to Box too!!! Thank god for these posts of good football talk with the occasional wry wit!! Keeps me hanging in at this board!

Thanks again, it's nice to know that the research was appreciated. Hopefully the alternate perspective was a benefit to some as well.

I still love this place, in spite of its recent warts.

terrific post and thanks. And when I think about it, although I didn't think they played that well against Denver, if not for a couple of poor plays in the secondary, they could be 5 - 0.

belichickaholic said:
terrific post and thanks. And when I think about it, although I didn't think they played that well against Denver, if not for a couple of poor plays in the secondary, they could be 5 - 0.

Well, the big plays against Denver still only allowed 17 points, so I think it was more that our offense simply got dominated by a good defense. But you're right, the one long run-after-the-pass TD should NEVER have happened. Bad play by Sanders.

But that 3rd down bomb for the TD was just a great playcall. Running situation. Playaction. Our D bit hardcore because we'd been getting killed by the running back. Ellis had perfect coverage, but the perfect throw over the top of him without safety help because of the playfake was just a beautiful call and beautiful execution.

BradyManny2344 said:
Our pass rush hasn't shown up until later in the game, but we've gotten away with it. I guess I don't know how we don't have a stronger pass rush considering some of our great players up front.

Our pass rush comes mostly from the linebackers inthe 3-4.

The late rush is from the DLine constant pressure.

Now that the back seven are preventing the big play, they can start to "gamble" more meaning sacks and interceptions.

They will need to be more coordinated this year because of the loss of Willie. He was the only great individual pass rusher they had.

Colvin's a good outside rusher, but can't bull rush like Willie.

When they start going in and out of different fronts and sending any of four LBs they'll get sacks. They just don't want to confuse themselves.

NEM said:
Yeah, play action will cause that. We need to use it more often. The one time we used it on Sunday was a TD.

We have a smart Qb who handles play actionb very well. And we should be using it more often now that we have a threat with TWO running backs.

Still cant understand why we dont.

I'm not going to muck up a perfectly positive thread with this negativenancy nonsense. You know I'd take you up anywhere else, but the vibes here are good, and you're strainin' the mojo.

RayClay said:
Our pass rush comes mostly from the linebackers inthe 3-4.

The late rush is from the DLine constant pressure.

Now that the back seven are preventing the big play, they can start to "gamble" more meaning sacks and interceptions.

They will need to be more coordinated this year because of the loss of Willie. He was the only great individual pass rusher they had.

Colvin's a good outside rusher, but can't bull rush like Willie.

When they start going in and out of different fronts and sending any of four LBs they'll get sacks. They just don't want to confuse themselves.

I'm not sure why they'd hold back a gameplan because they don't want to confuse themselves... unless that was sarcasm?

I mean the only new player we have out there right now really is Seau. Everyone else has been here and knows what is going on.

Wilson/Hawkins - Harrison
Samuel - Hobbs/Scott
Colvin - Bruschi - Seau - Vrabel
Seymour - Wilfork - Warren

Who out of that group besides Seau is going to get confused by mixing up looks or blitzing creatively?

Brownfan80 said:
I'm not sure why they'd hold back a gameplan because they don't want to confuse themselves... unless that was sarcasm?

I mean the only new player we have out there right now really is Seau. Everyone else has been here and knows what is going on.

Wilson/Hawkins - Harrison
Samuel - Hobbs/Scott
Colvin - Bruschi - Seau - Vrabel
Seymour - Wilfork - Warren

Who out of that group besides Seau is going to get confused by mixing up looks or blitzing creatively?

No, I'm totally serious. Some teams have great rushers like Taylor etc. who try to beat their man every play. McGinest could do that. Now we have to rely on shifting and confusion so the other team doesn't know where the rush is coming from.

We start seasons preventing the big play like against Cincinatti. Once everyone's on the same page we add more layers and leave it to guys like Bruschi and Harrison, (didn't play together last year), Seau, (hasn't fully absorbed defense), etc.

If we get too complex too soon, there is miscommunication, a hole and we give up a big play.

See part 1 "don't give up big play".

Also, if we can win early, why give other teams all our defenses to study?

I'm dead serious, although I'm not a defensive expert. There is much more "rehearsed improvising" in our defense than in other teams who rely on execution and less on deception.

Also we are playing conservative for the pass, relying on our big 3 DLine to hold the line and help stop the rush, which we are doing well. IMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye