PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SOME OPTIONS

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
We have lots of clues with regard to our 2018 patriots. We had a great off-season and a great draft. There is more to come (unfortunately including preparing for and responding to injuries)

Sign some UDFA's.
Sign a LB and/or a S before camp.
Trade for a LB or S (a 5th for Kendricks?).
Trade for a backup QB, BEFORE the player is cut and we'd have to bid for him.
Sign or trade for players late in camp or in the first couple of weeks of the season.
Trade some of our players (usually late in camp, but more value is to be had now).
Cut players when and if we need cap room.

IMHO, we will acquire roster players at least 2 of these 3 positions: LB, QB and S.

We have lots of clues with regard to our 2018 patriots. We had a great off-season and a great draft. There is more to come (unfortunately including preparing for and responding to injuries)

Sign some UDFA's.
Sign a LB and/or a S before camp.
Trade for a LB or S (a 5th for Kendricks?).
Trade for a backup QB, BEFORE the player is cut and we'd have to bid for him.
Sign or trade for players late in camp or in the first couple of weeks of the season.
Trade some of our players (usually late in camp, but more value is to be had now).
Cut players when and if we need cap room.

IMHO, we will acquire roster players at least 2 of these 3 positions: LB, QB and S.
Why would we acquire a qb? Hoyer is the backup.

BB seems to fill some weaknesses with final cuts from other teams. So I would assume until training camp there would be little player transactions.
With the roster full I don't expect any more camp fodder signings. Should be a long quiet wait for camp (unless another fake news report comes out)
I do not see a new QB on the team this year. There wont be a replacement for Brady just sitting around, and if there was the friggin Titan's would call 30 minutes before Bill and get him.:D

I think our biggest weakness is at LB. Before the draft there was a lack of talent and depth. With the late round picks we may have solved the depth issue, but the talent issue is still in question. Bentley is a classic run stopper and Sam is intriguing as it looks like he can play 3 downs, but who knows how they’ll turn out. I hope 1 of them turns into a quality player.

It was clear Belichick didn’t like this draft, especially round 2-4. There were options at DE that he wanted no part of. Maybe use some of draft capital to bring a vet LB or DE.

I haven't looked at the 2019 draft class yet, but likely either one of them or some reclamation project. I'm not overly concerned until Brady hits the wall.

I agree, but the ideal situation will allow 2 or 3 seasons in the system before his 1st NFL start. Maybe 1,2 under the goat and 1 under Hoyer or another vet in a bridge year. *Note - a Patriot/BB bridge year means at the very least a playoff berth.

Why would we acquire a qb? Hoyer is the backup.
I understand that there are those that are awaiting Brady's retirement announcement before looking for a quarterback.

But, I agree if we have no concerns for 2019 and beyond, then a quarterback should not be considered.

I think our biggest weakness is at LB. Before the draft there was a lack of talent and depth. With the late round picks we may have solved the depth issue, but the talent issue is still in question. Bentley is a classic run stopper and Sam is intriguing as it looks like he can play 3 downs, but who knows how they’ll turn out. I hope 1 of them turns into a quality player.

It was clear Belichick didn’t like this draft, especially round 2-4. There were options at DE that he wanted no part of. Maybe use some of draft capital to bring a vet LB or DE.

He didn't like the draft last year as well but I thought they where some decent pass rushers in this draft. At some point you have to draft the players and see what you got.

He didn't like the draft last year as well but I thought they where some decent pass rushers in this draft. At some point you have to draft the players and see what you got.

Last year, Belichick drafted Rivers and Wise.

This year, he acquired Clayborne. That is more reasonable than passing on sompnee you want to draft someone who you don't think will work out.

I'm fine with the first 3 choices, and the assessment that the rest weren't what he wanted.

As far as LB, in a lot of sets they only use two. Success will be measured by health and play.

Hightower returning will be huge for this team. His loss was missed throughout the season and into the superbowl. Can't think of a player on the front 7 that rushes the A gap better than he does and his return will strengthen the run game as well as the pass rush.

While the Van Noy wasn't spectacular he was serviceable.

Rivers could be a huge boost for this team. Right now he is still a rookie but has had access to the playbook and the meetings. If he can show the elite athletism and put it into his game play this corp could be scary.

Langi coming back, ditto to the athletism. Could be a nice situational sub to keep the others fresh while contributing on his own merit.

Rookies? We'll see.

I do like the idea of Kendricks here. If he can make that happen that would be phenomenal. If a coverage LB like that could be brought in I only think it would enhance the defense. Having a coverage lb with a quality slot cover cb (hopefully Dawson) could put this d on the next level to compete with the newer offensive looks out there.

Again, they only need 2 or 3 to play well to be effective. And stay healthy of course. This unit could become a nice cog instead of a worrisome mess if a few things go their way.

Also think the front 4 is in better shape than it was last year. The additions of Shelton and Clayborn seem to be a pretty good upgrade from last season pending whether or not they can stick, which I'm sure Belichick thinks they can. Lawrence Guy, The return of Wise, Flowers and Valentine and I don't think this group is in bad of shape as some may think.

I understand that there are those that are awaiting Brady's retirement announcement before looking for a quarterback.

But, I agree if we have no concerns for 2019 and beyond, then a quarterback should not be considered.
They will eventually bring someone in at the position, whether that’s this year or the next. Belichick isn’t stupid. He’s not going to buy into a pipe dream of a soon to be 41 year old playing for another 4-5 years like some of the homers, here.

As we know, it usually takes a couple of years to develop and groom a new prospect, so if they go out tomorrow and bring someone in, that’s still putting all of the eggs in one basket regarding Tom Brady’s ability to play into early 2020; and while impressive, that would still be something of a gamble.

Tom Curran has strongly hinted that he believes that Johnny Manziel will be brought in this summer if Kraft gives the okay. For the record, I think Brady can play another 3 seasons, with at least 2 proving to be successful.

You think we are going to acquire the qb if the future from a group of qbs that are going to be cut?

I see it differently.

I'm OK with Belichick not liking the flawed top 5 enough to bring one in.

However, we all thought that it would be fine to take a shot with a 3rd or 4th tier QB to see if they MIGHT develop into a future starter, or even a future backup.

I don't see how bringing in a Manziel or Bridgewater is any different. I also don't see how it wrong now to use a 3rd to trade for someone's backup is much different than using the 3rd in the draft. Obviously the experience level and contract length might be different.

As we know, it usually takes a couple of years to develop and groom a new prospect, so if they go out tomorrow and bring someone in, that’s still putting all of the eggs in one basket regarding Tom Brady’s ability to play into early 2020; and while impressive, that would still be something of a gamble.

l.

Zolak also mentioned during his radio show on Friday that he heard that Manziel will be in if Kraft okays it. Worth a gamble IF he has straightened out his life.

Kendricks is a good name. Also have read that KJ Wright is available. The 2019 draft stash will help trade for cover LBs and or edge guys.

This team has made some major additions since the super bowl. Let the talking heads sit oblivious.

I see it differently.

However, we all thought that it would be fine to take a shot with a 3rd or 4th tier QB to see if they MIGHT develop into a future starter, or even a future backup.

I don't see how bringing in a Manziel or Bridgewater is any different. I also don't see how it wrong now to use a 3rd to trade for someone's backup is much different than using the 3rd in the draft. Obviously the experience level and contract length might be different.
You aren’t getting a qb worth a third for a third.

I see it differently.

Sounds like we’re in agreement with all that you’ve said. I’m fine with seeing them hold off on a QB prospect, but at some point prior to next spring/summer, they’re likely to address it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes