PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Some OL chatter

yes it was all patricia's fault that the offense, mac and the o-line sucked

apologizes to patricia, he has actually done very well compared to some experienced offense coaches like klemm and bob

the OL this year is far worse than last year. I think people are looking at this too simplistically though.

last year we could run the ball and OL was okay. yet we had an OC who had no idea what he was calling running a JV offense. put BOB on last years team and we might have made the playoffs. we almost did with fat Matt.

this year the OL is so bad it stymies everything they do. if you are 32nd in pass protection and run blocking theres not much you can do or call. but hope and pray.

the OL this year is far worse than last year. I think people are looking at this too simplistically though.

last year we could run the ball and OL was okay. yet we had an OC who had no idea what he was calling running a JV offense. put BOB on last years team and we might have made the playoffs. we almost did with fat Matt.

this year the OL is so bad it stymies everything they do. if you are 32nd in pass protection and run blocking theres not much you can do or call. but hope and pray.
people seem to forget the personnel is almost the same except Wynn isn't the RT anymore but he wasn't good at RT
this year is actually strange's second year where you would expect some progress compared to his rookie season
so with almost the same personnel 4 out of 5, why is the performance this much worse? What changed?
Some people really want to fit their narrative and don't look at facts (Tunescribe). The coaching this year isn't any better than last year, it really sucks at all kinds of levels OC, o-Line Coach, WR Coach

the decisions made in the offseason cost the team this season.
Anderson was a healthy scratch. with the teams OL issues, Anderson being a healthy scratch is a huge miss with him
Reiff was signed to play RT/swing T. he played a lot last week at LG and RG. he was better than Strange and Mafi have been, but in spite of a dire need at RT, Reiff did not see any snaps.

We came into the game with 3 of the exact same player: Trent Brown, David Andrews, Mike Onwenu. Are you saying these 3 have all lost it compared to last year?

I don't think Vederian Lowe is a downgrade from McDermott. He's an upgrade. Lowe hasn't been good so far, but that's certainly not the reason the OL is the way it is by comparison to last year.

So you think Onwenu now stinks after being rated on of the top guards last year. That's funny
He's losing $$$$$ in a contract Year you know BB ain't resigning him. Not good for Onwenu.

If Zappe/Grier play substantially better than Mac, watch as the O-Line performs miraculously better than before.

We came into the game with 3 of the exact same player: Trent Brown, David Andrews, Mike Onwenu. Are you saying these 3 have all lost it compared to last year?

I don't think Vederian Lowe is a downgrade from McDermott. He's an upgrade. Lowe hasn't been good so far, but that's certainly not the reason the OL is the way it is by comparison to last year.
Brown played very poorly last week. maybe injury (he was questionable). but each time he is listed on the ijury report with something, he does play, but poorly.
Onwenu was very bad the past 2 weeks. maybe injury. maybe not yet in game shape.
Andrews has been fairly solid.
Mafi, Strange, Lowe and Anderson have all been sub par. Sow has been non existent.

Brown played very poorly last week. maybe injury (he was questionable). but each time he is listed on the ijury report with something, he does play, but poorly.
Onwenu was very bad the past 2 weeks. maybe injury. maybe not yet in game shape.
Mafi, Strange, Lowe and Anderson have all been sub par. Sow has been non existent.
I'm sure Mac spotting the opponent three scores before halftime for two weeks in a row hasn't affected moral or performance in the least.

The linemen want a new starting QB, even if they can say so in the press... the whole team does... except Bill apparently.

Again, the line hasn't been bad since the first two weeks of the season. The offense has been horrendous, because Mac has been horrendous... so individual mistakes get amplified in a blowout loss. Running the ball becomes near impossible when the defense doesn't respect the pass at all, and when your QB is a quivering jellyfish who is seeing ghosts.

Blaming the line or anyone else for Mac's meltdown is the height of stupidity.

I'm sure Mac spotting the opponent three scores before halftime for two weeks in a row hasn't affected moral or performance in the least.

The linemen want a new starting QB, even if they can say so in the press... the whole team does... except Bill apparently.

Again, the line hasn't been bad since the first two weeks of the season. The offense has been horrendous, because Mac has been horrendous... so individual mistakes get amplified in a blowout loss. Running the ball becomes near impossible when the defense doesn't respect the pass at all, and when your QB is a quivering jellyfish who is seeing ghosts.

Blaming the line or anyone else for Mac's meltdown is the height of stupidity.
the team ranks last in OL efficiencies in both pass and run
but you keep being you
one of these times, you just might luck into being right
not yet, but maybe soon...

the team ranks last in OL efficiencies in both pass and run
but you keep being you
one of these times, you just might luck into being right
not yet, but maybe soon...
Mac has been sacked some of the fewest times in the NFL, and six of his nine total sacks came in the first two games.

For perspective Sam Howell has been sacked 29 times, Daniel Jones 28 times...

You people trying to shield Mac from the harsh realities of the world, or hold him accountable for his horrid play are ridiculous.

He's losing $$$$$ in a contract Year you know BB ain't resigning him. Not good for Onwenu.
That's irrelevant though to the quality of player that he is.

Personally I think they like him and they'll sign him.

Onwenu has had pass rushers count against him when Mac moves right into the path of the rusher. Onwenu has had guys locked down and yet they count against him. I can show you examples where that has happened. Onwenu had a false start last week, but when they showed his holding call on replay, it wasn't a hold. And the announcer noted it.

These 3 are the same guys.

Mafi is learning. He looks good. He looks better than Onwenu did as a rookie. Of course that's because Onwenu was out of position at LG, but we don't know what Mafi excels at. Sow had a concussion. Lowe, as I said, is better than McDermott. All I'm saying anyway is that comparing this OL to last year's, one would think the players are different, and they're not with the exception of Lowe.

last year we could run the ball and OL was okay.
No, it wasn’t. Remember the dumpster fire at RT? Until we inserted a practice squad player from the Jets.

But luckily Belichick took care of it in the draft. Wait, we got a kicker instead.

Well, Vlad Lowe looks the part. But the last three games he’s given up as many pressures as there are chocolate thin mints in a Girl Scouts cookie box.

people seem to forget the personnel is almost the same except Wynn isn't the RT anymore but he wasn't good at RT
this year is actually strange's second year where you would expect some progress compared to his rookie season
so with almost the same personnel 4 out of 5, why is the performance this much worse? What changed?
Some people really want to fit their narrative and don't look at facts (Tunescribe). The coaching this year isn't any better than last year, it really sucks at all kinds of levels OC, o-Line Coach, WR Coach
The biggest difference has been health. They've had a different starting 5 every week, and had most of their putative starters simultaneously sidelined during the pre- season.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back