PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Solution to the RB issue at the deadline?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, just on the Patriots defense, you have the following players who are, or have been, starters, and are second round draftees and lower, going all the way down to 'undrafted' status:

Bruschi
Vrabel
Samuel
Hobbs
Gay
Thomas
Harrison
Wilson
Colvin
Sanders

As for the "studs" determination, that will, naturally, depend on your definition, but I'd say that's a pretty darned good group of players.

Well, only half of those guys were drafted by BB / Pioli. Hobbs and Samuels are very solid picks as 4th and 3rd round respectively, Gay is an undrafted gem, but I wouldn't exactly call Wilson or Sanders a steal.

As the team gets stronger and stronger, I think it makes perfect sense to trade draft picks that have little shot to make the roster, at least for another year. We have a young enough team where we are not mortgaging the future if we continue to trade a draft pick here and there for mature, proven players who can fit.

that being said, I think Faulk , Evans , and Eckel (!) can handle the load until Maroney is ready to return, which will hopefully be before week 9

Well, only half of those guys were drafted by BB / Pioli. Hobbs and Samuels are very solid picks as 4th and 3rd round respectively, Gay is an undrafted gem, but I wouldn't exactly call Wilson or Sanders a steal.

As the team gets stronger and stronger, I think it makes perfect sense to trade draft picks that have little shot to make the roster, at least for another year. We have a young enough team where we are not mortgaging the future if we continue to trade a draft pick here and there for mature, proven players who can fit.

The question didn't ask for players drafted by Belioli. I didn't have a problem with the Patriots making the trade, but that's not the point. The reality is that there are gems available throughout the draft, and there are plenty of busts to be found at the top. Where/if a player is drafted plays into the odds of success, but it's by no means determinative:

The 2006 Pro Bowlers drafted longest ago were taken in 1993 and are: guard Will Shields (3rd round, 74th selection), safety John Lynch (3rd round, 82nd selection) and fullback Lorenzo Neal (4th round, 89th selection).

Overall, the 84 Pro Bowlers include: 40 first rounders, 13 second rounders, 12 third rounders, one 4th rounder, two 5th rounders, three 6th rounders, a 7th rounder and 12 undrafted players.

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php?/weblog/comments/nearly_half_of_2006_nfl_pro_bowlers_drafted_in_first_round/

Sometimes extra picks work out for teams and you get Eugene Wilson and Vince Wilfork for Kyle Boller, and sometimes it doesn't work out and you end up with Singleton and Agnew for Russell Maryland.

vrabel, harrison, colvin, thomas...adalius? were fa's . all the others took a few years to develop.

if we need an rb...and i mean that neither morris or maroney are healthy..then i would do it.

i dont deny i have a bit of the george allen mentallity...the future is now...which doesnt really work in todays NFL

tatum bell will put the ball on the ground. I've always wanted warrick dunn to win a championship. the guy is everything that is right with the league. plus hes a good rb. I say work out a deal for dunn so the can have jerius norwood start.

I say bring in Ricky Williams!!! :D After all, we are drafting and trading everyone elses bad apples, might as well take one more bad apple... :rocker: :rolleyes: (This is attempt at being humorous... :cool: )

Warrick Dunn, boy, that's a heck of a good idea. Since it's obvious now that the Falcons are DOA, just maybe they'd be willing to swap him for the chance to take a younger player in the draft. You'd think Atlanta would ask for a 2nd, and that might be more than the Pats would be willing to pay. But what a guy to fantasize about playing with the Pats! He'd be a dynamo.

You guys do know that Welker was a RB in high school and his early college years right? Just sayin ;)

dunn could probally be had for a 3rd or 4th. he can do what kevin faulk does but hes more of a legitimate threat at RB

dunn could probally be had for a 3rd or 4th. he can do what kevin faulk does but hes more of a legitimate threat at RB

If Dunn could be had for a 4th, I think I do it. If Sammy Morris is badly injured.

3rd or 4th? He's an aging RB on the downside of his career... a 5th or 6th is more like it

that being said, I think Faulk , Evans , and Eckel (!) can handle the load until Maroney is ready to return, which will hopefully be before week 9

This makes the most sense to me. Start Faulk and spot him with Eckel. Actually, Evans had a good game at Miami a couple years ago ... Maroney will be back eventually, no need to spend draft picks on fill-ins at this point. And by the way, they said that Bam Childress did such a great job on the scout team impersonating LaDanian Tomlinson a few weeks ago -- food for thought?

Last edited:
This does NOT work for me. With Faulk as the main back, we have no third down back. In addition, the likelihood of Faulk being injured or worn down as the main back is high. Evans is not on this team to run the ball, except in short yardage situations (and that IMHO is a serious mistake). Eckel is an emergency and garbage time back. IMHO, we needed a 5th back in any case. we were OK as long as BOTH Morris and Maroney were healthy. With at least one out or nicked, we need another running back, unless we really believe in Eckel.

This makes the most sense to me. Start Faulk and spot him with Eckel. Actually, Evans had a good game at Miami a couple years ago ... Maroney will be back eventually, no need to spend draft picks on fill-ins at this point. And by the way, they said that Bam Childress did such a great job on the scout team impersonating LaDanian Tomlinson a few weeks ago -- food for thought?

With Tatum Bell starting for Detroit, why not take a crack at acquiring Kevin Jones for a pick?

With Tatum Bell starting for Detroit, why not take a crack at acquiring Kevin Jones for a pick?

Who's starting for Detroit ? I thought Jones was ? I know people here frown upon Bell, but I always liked him. He would be a good fit until/when/if our injured RB's come back. If Jones is available, I'd love to see the Pats make a move for him, I was a huge fan of his during his draft year.

you guys act like this is baseball, why would all these teams trade their players to help the hated patriots, keep dreaming, this is not a fantasy league

This does NOT work for me. With Faulk as the main back, we have no third down back. In addition, the likelihood of Faulk being injured or worn down as the main back is high. Evans is not on this team to run the ball, except in short yardage situations (and that IMHO is a serious mistake). Eckel is an emergency and garbage time back. IMHO, we needed a 5th back in any case. we were OK as long as BOTH Morris and Maroney were healthy. With at least one out or nicked, we need another running back, unless we really believe in Eckel.

From what I've seen of Eckel, he's got a good motor. I'm just saying that if Morris is shelved for an extended period and it looks like Maroney will be back soon or needs to be eased back in, we can go with what we have without spending draft picks. A previous poster mentioning Welker's history as a running back also is kind of intriguing. Imagine Troy Brown in the slot and Welker coming out of the backfield a la Faulk, with Moss, Stallworth and Watson in the mix. If Morris is really hurt, it's true we'll need another back. I just don't want to see us lose a draft pick for it.

Last edited:
read somewhere this morning Jones has taken over 1st string from Bell in Detriot.

the Giants would take anything they can get for his rights at this point
Why? I don't think they'd let him go to the Pats at any price at this point.

The Giants play us last game of the year, when they will likely be fighting for a playoff spot. Why would they send Tiki to us, knowing that Tiki would love to stick it to them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes