PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So what will we see from the refs during the super bowl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitsudriver

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
This thread is NOT to discuss far fetched conspiracy theories regarding games being fixed.

So, with that being said, for the most part it seems that referees tend to “let them play” a bit more in the playoffs. With all the talk of blown calls in the Ram’s championship game (rightfully so), do you think the refs have been told to “tighten” it up? Do you think they’ll be more prone to throw a questionable flag then they might have been had so much attention not have been given to the terrible calls two weeks ago? If the game gets called a bit more by-the-book who do you think this favors?

I have to feel a tight game will be called. I would have to think that Roby-Coleman is going to be called extra tight. Bill will have them play to the circumstances. Not sure how much control McVay will have on his anger management players like Suh, Peters Talib etc

I’m leaning towards the Pat’s benefiting from the Saints/Rams game f-ups. Might we see one of those rare interference calls on the player mauling Gronk?

Under 5 accepted non procedural penalties, a complete non factor.

Most of our Super Bowls imo have been called evenly. That's all I'm looking for. Call it fairly and hopefully call it infrequently

Still grinds me that they changed the catch rule knowing it would benefit one team (Eagles) and the “Philly Special” was a fraud play and should have been flagged.

Big momentum changers.

I hope they let the DBs play, on both sides of the ball. Consistently. None of this ticky tack defensive holding.

I’ve rewatched the Chiefs game, and it’s really remarkable how one-sided the secondary rules were.

I hope they let the DBs play, on both sides of the ball. Consistently. None of this ticky tack defensive holding.

I’ve rewatched the Chiefs game, and it’s really remarkable how one-sides the secondary rules were.

Shhhhh don’t tell that to Felgah lol.

I think they will do what they always do, attempt to make the correct calls every play. And in the playoffs I'm not sure it's always about letting them play in the playoffs. I think it's more about the better teams with the better players along with the refs who made the most correct calls / non-calls throughout the season.

Not denying there is a slite tendency to air on the side of letting them play, but I think that is much farther down the list of reasons for less flags.

I’ve rewatched the Chiefs game, and it’s really remarkable how one-sided the secondary rules were.

That paralells my rewatch exactly. Kelce pushed off on his first TD catch and the KC secondary held often and blatantly. Only JC got called tight.

I think the blowback from the Saints game will work in our favor. If the refs are perceived as favoring LA it'll be a very bad look for the league.

I'm hoping they just let them play, no one wants a flag fest in the Superbowl.

There's so many fans who think the NFL cheats to help us win it's really a no-win situation for them. Plus I can't imagine a scenario where the league actually directs refs to lean one way or the other, that **** would get out. I could see the league highlighting certain players *cough* Gronk *cough* but to just outright say 'hey make sure we favor NE cause it looks bad' is the sort of stuff that would leak to the press in no time.

Still grinds me that they changed the catch rule knowing it would benefit one team (Eagles) and the “Philly Special” was a fraud play and should have been flagged.

Big momentum changers.

Don’t get me started... I was ****ing fuming st the time. Especially as the so called philly **** was reviewed.. not like I hold a grudge or anything... or that the Eagles had at least 14 Pts given to them..

The Saints/Rams game showed the ineptitude of the NFL and its refs.. the post game silence is deafening. The NFL does not need to have the rules committee meet to make things better than they have been, use some common sense and if necessary deploy another ref for these games.

Over the years too many games have been decided by lousy calls..

Robey has been fined by the NFL, but the NFL has remained silent on the occurrence.

All of this is NFL Double Speak, "The NFL really cares about Player Safety and helmet to helmet hits", but in the case of Robey.. "Crickets"...

There's so many fans who think the NFL cheats to help us win it's really a no-win situation for them. Plus I can't imagine a scenario where the league actually directs refs to lean one way or the other, that **** would get out. I could see the league highlighting certain players *cough* Gronk *cough* but to just outright say 'hey make sure we favor NE cause it looks bad' is the sort of stuff that would leak to the press in no time.
Sorry maybe I should have been more clear. I agree with you, not a good look either. Just thinking that the refs will be of the mindset of not making any obvious bad calls in favor of LA, this mindset will subconsciously work in NE's favor. Maybe I'm wrong, who knows what to expect from these refs nowadays.

Last edited:
The NFL wants the Rams to desperately win, make no mistake about that.

As far as storylines go, I bet Rams win is much more desirable.

Factor 1, anyone but Pats, we want parity right.
Factor 2, there MUST be justification for moving two teams to LA.

But it's just narratives, we have to wait

I don't think there's any doubt that the fix is in. If L.A. wins, it will be because the refs threw questionable flags (or ignored obvious calls) because the league wants to justify moving teams out there. If the Pats win, it will be because the refs threw questionable flags (or ignored obvious calls) because of an East Coast bias. But, one way or another, it's definitely fixed. No question about that.

What will we see from the refs during the SB?

As much pro-LA shenanigans as Park Avenue feels it can get away with.

People are naive fools to think otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes