PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So let's take a good look at McCourty, shall we?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many times does it have to be explained to people that this became a huge need over the last two weeks with Jets getting Holmes and the Dolphins getting Marshall?

How many times does it have to be pointed out that you could have twenty shut down corners, if a NFL QB has all day to throw, any WR is going to get open......

Look at the Pats roster, they have Ty Warren and that's IT!!! TBC is at best a situation pass rusher, the Pats have ZERO DEs other than Warren, and nobody that can set the edge or rush the QB from the OLB position. Teams are not going to bother to throw on the Pats because, like baltimore did, they are simpley going to run over them. The Pats got blown out by a team whose QB could barely walk he was so hurt.

I don't care how you spin it, a nickel corner is NOT what the Pats needed in the first round! If they traded the pick for picks in round 2 or 3, I could see that, but they need DEs (multiple) and OLB (multiple) and they are not going to win many games lining up with combination of Warren, TBC, Wright (at DE) and "TBD" as the other OLB.

Oh BTW Crable hurt himself jumping off the couch last night in jubilation that the Pats did not draft an OLB to replace him, and he has been placed on IR.

Last edited:
Have to say the more I read and hear about this kid the more I love the pick. Just watched his Sports Science video on ESPN and he really does look an impressive individual.

Devin McCourty over Kyle Wilson.

Why?

Because weirdly, we only draft first rounders that have a last name beginning with "M"

2005: Mankins
2006: Maroney
2007: Merriwether
2008: Mayo
2009: No first rounder
2010: McCourty

i have to admit that i was not thinking we should have drafted a corner with pick 27
but i am very happy for the moment about this overall draft

and i'm very excited to see Mc Courty in action

How many times does it have to be pointed out that you could have twenty shut down corners, if a NFL QB has all day to throw, any WR is going to get open......

Look at the Pats roster, they have Ty Warren and that's IT!!! TBC is at best a situation pass rusher, the Pats have ZERO DEs other than Warren, and nobody that can set the edge or rush the QB from the OLB position. Teams are not going to bother to throw on the Pats because, like baltimore did, they are simpley going to run over them. The Pats got blown out by a team whose QB could barely walk he was so hurt.

I don't care how you spin it, a nickel corner is NOT what the Pats needed in the first round! If they traded the pick for picks in round 2 or 3, I could see that, but they need DEs (multiple) and OLB (multiple) and they are not going to win many games lining up with combination of Warren, TBC, Wright (at DE) and "TBD" as the other OLB.

Oh BTW Crable hurt himself jumping off the couch last night in jubilation that the Pats did not draft an OLB to replace him, and he has been placed on IR.
Wow, hitting the panic button much? The pats have a few prospects at DE who are getting a chance to develop (Ron Brace, Myron Pryor), and we still have AD, Woods, Ninkovich, TBC, and Cunningham at OLB. That's at least some good depth, and at best a solid pass-rushing unit.

The Jets had one of the best defenses in the league last year, and their pass rush was only marginally better than ours. If you have a deep secondary, you're making the quarterback's job much harder. Besides, we picked up Jermaine Cunningham to rush the QB and I think he's going to surprise people.

The offseason isn't even over until September. It's ridiculous to be throwing these temper tantrums at this point.

BTW, the "nickel corner" position which you are deriding is essentially a starter in today's NFL. I'd rather give McCourty a try there than Wilhite.

Last edited:
Have to say the more I read and hear about this kid the more I love the pick. Just watched his Sports Science video on ESPN and he really does look an impressive individual.

Thanks for the heads up on that clip. Excellent stuff.

Devin McCourty jersey presentation - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Like what he says at the end. Hopefully that is what will happen.

I can't imagine contract negotiations going on any longer than they usually do. McCourty should be in camp. I like that quote and I also like the quote from Kraft...

Speaking on a stage at Gillette Stadium’s 50-yard line, Kraft said he feels the Patriots have had a great draft to this point, highlighted by “a lot of physical players, which is something that we like.”

Physical is something the fans like as well, Mr. Kraft.

He's on WEEI talking right now, says he sat down with BB about a month before the draft reviewing film. Seems like BB targeted him as possible pick even then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back