PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So let's take a good look at McCourty, shall we?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's bad enough that Dynasty has some odd media love infatuation where by we can't question the media since they know more than us but if we don't criticize BB (who I think knows more than the media) then we are raging homers who have no thoughts.

So you are saying that the media/posters are not allowed to question BB because BB knows more than the media/posters do. Then what is the point of even talking football?, just ask BB what he thinks because he knows everything and is always right because he knows more than everyone else does. No ones perfect and people do make mistakes, but by your reasoning no one can bring it up because they dont know as much as BB does. You are a homer because your only thought is whatever BB says/does.

One interception in his senior season tells me that he's a good cover corner, but most likely will NOT be the next Darrelle Revis.

I don't hold that against him, he didn't really want to answer that question...he still has a few guys who could go tonight and tomorrow after all ;)

Last edited:
I don't hold that against him, he didn't really want to answer that question...he still has a few guys who could go tonight and tomorrow after all ;)

Well hey, according to a lot of people around here (I'm basing this on the opinions I have seen), McCourty is already better in this defense than that ballhawking sissy wannabe Asante Samuel ever was. :D

derailed.jpg

On a side note, is it possible to derail your own thread?

Adding him to the ignore list does wonders...just don't read the replies of others featuring his posts though.

Yea it just gets difficult at times wading through all the noise to read the other posts. :/

So you are saying....

No that's not what I said, and I'm completely done contributing to bogging this board down with nonsense so I will not be furthering this "debate" with you.

Well hey, according to a lot of people around here (I'm basing this on the opinions I have seen), McCourty is already better in this defense than that ballhawking sissy wannabe Asante Samuel ever was. :D

He could turn out to be...it could also be that he is able to adapt right away to what they need from a CB more than others have been able to do or others are able to do that they have now.

It is way too mature to call him better than anyone yet- I am high on the guy but I won't compare him to anyone else except his current teammates' developments in their first years.

links? Or is this hyperbole?

He could turn out to be...it could also be that he is able to adapt right away to what they need from a CB more than others have been able to do or others are able to do that they have now.

It is way too mature to call him better than anyone yet- I am high on the guy but I won't compare him to anyone else except his current teammates' developments in their first years.

After watching his videos, he reminds me of a more atheletically gifted Leigh Bodden.

links? Or is this hyperbole?

It's a joke on people who think Asante Samuel was just north of completely useless for us.

No that's not what I said, and I'm completely done contributing to bogging this board down with nonsense so I will not be furthering this "debate" with you.

Actually, its what you are saying, you just realized how foolish you sound. But I agree lets talk football and not useless crap like this

Haven't gone through the 19 pages of this thread, but one thing I've been thinking about with this guy is "what if he's the next Josh Cribbs/Devin Hester?" Special teams certainly seems to be a major reason they took this guy. What if he performs well as a CB, but is an all pro returner type? I don't think we can even call this pick a reach with the Jets taking a CB 2 picks later - they very well have preferred McCourty to Wilson.

How many times does it have to be explained to people that this became a huge need over the last two weeks with Jets getting Holmes and the Dolphins getting Marshall?

derailed.jpg

On a side note, is it possible to derail your own thread?

He may not ever cover better than Asante. Maybe he will? But i guarantee he can already tackle better than Samuel before ever playing an NFL down.

Haven't gone through the 19 pages of this thread, but one thing I've been thinking about with this guy is "what if he's the next Josh Cribbs/Devin Hester?" Special teams certainly seems to be a major reason they took this guy. What if he performs well as a CB, but is an all pro returner type? I don't think we can even call this pick a reach with the Jets taking a CB 2 picks later - they very well have preferred McCourty to Wilson.

Based on what? His KR for a TD against UConn?

Darius Butler returned more kicks back in college.

Yes,thanks. I'm truly sorry for your personal disappointment. :rolleyes:

Maybe today will end up making you happier. :)

I'm a person. I get disappointed.

Next time I will cry for the masses.

Or become a robot.

What is wrong with you people?

I didn't say he was a bad player, I said that he is an absolute reach, and that they should have either picked Olrick, or traded down again.........

We get it, you don't like the pick and would have preferred a pass rusher for the first round. However it's nonsensical to call this an 'absolute reach' when it's clear that many scouts, experts and teams had him going in the first round between 20 and 30. It's also clear he, or any of the other top tier corners, wouldn't have lasted beyond the first round.

So we are to believe that the same team that has selected WHilite and Wheatley, now can evaluate CB talent much better.

Uh, does this mean that we should no longer select cornerbacks because they messed up on a couple in the past? In that case, let's never draft a TE, a QB, a RB...

The draft is a crap shoot. There's no "law" that one must get a #1 CB out of the first round or they're a bust. You should be getting what will be a contributor in the first year and eventually a starter. I feel confident that this will be the case.

We get it, you don't like the pick and would have preferred a pass rusher for the first round. However it's nonsensical to call this an 'absolute reach' when it's clear that many scouts, experts and teams had him going in the first round between 20 and 30. It's also clear he, or any of the other top tier corners, wouldn't have lasted beyond the first round.

Uh, does this mean that we should no longer select cornerbacks because they messed up on a couple in the past? In that case, let's never draft a TE, a QB, a RB...

The draft is a crap shoot. There's no "law" that one must get a #1 CB out of the first round or they're a bust. You should be getting what will be a contributor in the first year and eventually a starter. I feel confident that this will be the case.

Very true. Ty Law was the 2nd cb drafted after Tyrone Poole by Carolina. Samuel was drafted in the 3rd or 4th. You just never know what you got until atleast he gets on the field.

There is no way that you can be happy with a first round pick that has ZERO chance (aside from several injuries) of being a starter next year.

Why does he have no chance? It's likely he won't be a starting CB since we have one experienced corner and another highly drafted one with a year in the system. But if he picks up the system quickly and plays better in training camp than either of those two, then he most definitely WILL be the starter. And given how much Nickle and Dime we will play, he will end up starting the majority of the snaps. And he likely will end up the starting KR and starting gunner on ST. That sounds like reasonable end of Round 1 value, especially when it comes packaged with a 3.

Why does he have no chance? It's likely he won't be a starting CB since we have one experienced corner and another highly drafted one with a year in the system. But if he picks up the system quickly and plays better in training camp than either of those two, then he most definitely WILL be the starter. And given how much Nickle and Dime we will play, he will end up starting the majority of the snaps. And he likely will end up the starting KR and starting gunner on ST. That sounds like reasonable end of Round 1 value, especially when it comes packaged with a 3.

I agree, I think there's a good chance he'll contribute next year in some capacity at CB. From all accounts he is a very intelligent kid and BB complimented him for knowing the defense so well as to know just where everyone else was supposed to be, what there assignments and responsibilities are, the linemen stunts etc...

He has both the tangibles as well as the intangibles to become something and the intelligence to pick it up quickly. Like everyone else he's all potential at this point but I like it.

I REALLY wanted Jerry Hughes and it was insult to injury when the Colts drafted him. Why would we pass up a pass-rusher like Hughes, even though fits the Colts idea of a DE better.... for another CB?

BUT,

then I realized that the Colts already have Mathis and Freeney. Why in their right minds would they draft another DE when they have greater needs on the team? The answer is because he was the best player on the board for how they run their team. Hughes has the motor and pass-rush moves that have made their DE's so successful.

Now we look at McCourty. Yes, we have a lot of young corners on the team, but NONE of them are as good CB's as Mathis or Freeney are DE's. Just as Hughes is the 3rd or 4th best pass-rusher, McCourty is the 3rd or 4th best CB. Not only does McCourty pan out to be an excellent fit for our secondary, but BB obviously values 3-4 down "football players". That is exactly what he got.

Polian may be Satan incarnate, but he knows what he's doing. Now, how can we possibly criticize BB when another so-called "drafting genius" made such a similar decision just a few picks past us in the draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back