PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So if that's what's on tape now, what does the Offense add next week for Seattle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BTTA

He/Him
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
According to Bedard:

Josh McDaniels had a very simple yet effective gameplan where, basically, every play was designed to look the same. Pull a guard with a handoff, and either give it to the back, have Newton keep it and run, or have Newton deliver a quick pass (he attempted just three passes over 10 yards).

If we assume the plan is to start simple, get competent, then build on that each week, what makes sense for Seattle? What plays would create bad positioning from their D, if last week's offense is what they primarily prepare for?

Football junkies, got ideas?

Since Seattle generally tries to get players upfield should we expect counters? If the game plan is like the superbowl I expect James White to be very busy catching passes from Cam. I could see that happening until the Seahawks show thay can stop it.

One nice thing about rooting for a Bellicheck team is you know they will have a plan A and a plan B and the team almost always has a good idea of what they will see..

"what does the Offense add next week for Seattle?"

Hopefully a real wide receiver and/or receiving tight end?

That's my only major concern about this offense now to be honest.

Agree, although that's been the problem since Antonio Brown finished his 10 minute career here.

Man, I don't think there's a team in the league who likes seeing Seattle on the schedule. Even when they are having a bad year they can win.

The Falcons WRs had 400 receiving yards against the Seahawks, so that's probably a good place to start. Jamal Adams was the only good player in that secondary on Sunday. Quinton Dunbar missed a bunch of training camp while his armed robbery charges were pending, Tre Flowers is coming back from a sprained ankle, and Shaquill Griffin apparently just didn't play well.

I'm hoping they add a healthy dose of the passing game that is able to get going because the Seahawks are worried about Cam running (which he won't do much of on Sunday) so they stack the box.

I am not too familiar with the technicalities but understood stacking the box usually means to stop the run ? ...so is this where we need wr or tight end plays to make them less predictable.....que Asiasi , Harry and Edelman so we should see more throws against the Seahawks

The Seahawks will practice stopping that one play with three options that, according to Bedard, was the foundation for almost every play the Pats ran.

So the Pats can be expected to give that same look, and try that play a few times. My question is this: what additional plays would they run from that formation that would take advantage of the Seahawks' expectation for that play?

That's why I asked the experts here to weigh in. Posters who know football well and can say something like, "so the Seahawks LB's will be keying off of the left guard on this play. The Pats should have the LG do what he's been doing, but instead of running the play they ran against the Dolphins, they run THIS play, which should spring the RB or TE." That's what I'm hoping will pop up in the thread.

According to Bedard:

Josh McDaniels had a very simple yet effective gameplan where, basically, every play was designed to look the same. Pull a guard with a handoff, and either give it to the back, have Newton keep it and run, or have Newton deliver a quick pass (he attempted just three passes over 10 yards).

If we assume the plan is to start simple, get competent, then build on that each week, what makes sense for Seattle? What plays would create bad positioning from their D, if last week's offense is what they primarily prepare for?

Football junkies, got ideas?
I think we are going to see more RBs on the field together. Possibly more TEs but I think we may feel better about Harry and Edelman blocking’s corners than an extra TE blocking a S or LB.
Small against small can work better than big against big depending on the players.
I’m expecting 2 RBs on the field together to, along with the QB/RB to create misdirection as well as opportunities to throw to them off play action, particularly White.
I think the passing game will continue to be one read stuff and focussed on play action to create space.

Atlanta averaged 4 ypc against Seattle, but they were largely behind the entire game by two scores. I think you test seattles run defense early, but cams gonna have to be able to wing it if we get into an early deficit. Wilson's off to a great start, I dont see a low scoring game.

I'm hoping they add a healthy dose of the passing game that is able to get going because the Seahawks are worried about Cam running (which he won't do much of on Sunday) so they stack the box.
Cams gonna run.

Atlanta averaged 4 ypc against Seattle, but they were largely behind the entire game by two scores. I think you test seattles run defense early, but cams gonna have to be able to wing it if we get into an early deficit. Wilson's off to a great start, I dont see a low scoring game.

for Gurley, it was more like 3 yards per carry, with one big run to bump it up to 4 ypc...

in regards to our offense, the running game isn't so dynamic that its going to produce 30+ ppg ... and 175 yards passing isn't going to cut it, nless their kicking game is so bad we start at their 40 most of the game... and i don't think their kicking game is that bad... time will tell what the coaches feel is the best way to take advantages of whatever the seahawks weaknesses are... If its a 21 personnel or a 12 personnel idc, or even the standard 3 wide 11 personnel package, as long as it creates mismatches that the offense can exploit...

You want to know the play the Pats didn't run yesterday? Screen passes. I fully expect them to run a healthy dose of them against Seattle.

And yes. More running the ball. But also calling some play action passes that get the ball to Michel so that the opposing teams have to stop assuming that him being on the field means it's an automatic run..

Damiere Byrd was out there for 56 plays Sunday and didn't get a single look........I'm pretty sure they can unleash him

I think we are going to see more RBs on the field together. Possibly more TEs but I think we may feel better about Harry and Edelman blocking’s corners than an extra TE blocking a S or LB.
Small against small can work better than big against big depending on the players.
I’m expecting 2 RBs on the field together to, along with the QB/RB to create misdirection as well as opportunities to throw to them off play action, particularly White.
I think the passing game will continue to be one read stuff and focussed on play action to create space.

Don't forget how much we used a 6th OL against MIA. We seem to always include a healthy dose of that whenever we have the appropriate personnel (rookie Solder, Cam Fleming) regardless of what system we run. It seems Bill likes Onwenu in that role.

Don't forget how much we used a 6th OL against MIA. We seem to always include a healthy dose of that whenever we have the appropriate personnel (rookie Solder, Cam Fleming) regardless of what system we run. It seems Bill likes Onwenu in that role.
Actually we only used the 6th OL 8 times. I thought it was more too.
I’m seems like we like using it when the field is short and lean toward small vs small between the 20s. (Also only used 2TE 9 times)

Great points by everyone. All the teams know Cam is going to run often....it's on tape...which I like. As he learns more of the playbook...he will run less and less as the season continues and will throw more. So when they are expecting him to run...he will pass. Later in the season when they see he is throwing more...Cam Bam run he Can.

The Seahawks will practice stopping that one play with three options that, according to Bedard, was the foundation for almost every play the Pats ran.

So the Pats can be expected to give that same look, and try that play a few times. My question is this: what additional plays would they run from that formation that would take advantage of the Seahawks' expectation for that play?

That's why I asked the experts here to weigh in. Posters who know football well and can say something like, "so the Seahawks LB's will be keying off of the left guard on this play. The Pats should have the LG do what he's been doing, but instead of running the play they ran against the Dolphins, they run THIS play, which should spring the RB or TE." That's what I'm hoping will pop up in the thread.

Actually, I would say to take a step back and look at the bigger picture - essentially, strategy over tactics.

Point 1 - Seattle has an aggressive defense - therefore you run some plays to see if the defenders will take themselves out of the play - i.e. screen passes and counter runs (which then sets up play-action passes where you throw to the side of the field that the telegraphed pass isn't going to, etc..)

Point 2 - Keep the defense honest - demonstrate the ability to throw the ball downfield early (Byrd over the top or Harry 1vs1 at the intermediate/deep levels) - it'll make it harder for them to justify stacking the box against the QB option

Point 3 - Find the weak spot - identify the individual defender (could be a LB or Safety) who makes bad choices (e.g. Elandon Roberts last week) and target them on options, motions and counters. Every time they screw up, you have a chance to spring a big play.

And then a half-point - keep Cam out of 3rd and long. Averaged over a game, it'll kill you every time. Pass-pass-'oh **** it's 3rd and 10' isn't his forte. The flip side of that is that defenses have no idea how to defend 3rd and 3, 3rd and 4 against him, because they can cover every receiver immaculately and he can still scramble for a first down.

Great thread, by the way :)

The very first time that we are near midfield on first down, McD has to tell Cam to throw the ball - deep, to either Byrd or Harry - from RPO action,
if only to gauge the defense's reaction...Better then than during 3rd/10 from inside our own red zone...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots