PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So how do you grade this year’s draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.
point well taken

Wilson should be considered a backup to Bentley and McMillan. The open question is whether anyone else will step up (McGrone? Jennings? Langi?)
I seem to recall Mike Vrabel not being good enough to start for Pittsburgh.

You're having a hard time, aren't you? The Rams have their own draft board. We don't know here Strange was on said draft board. They THOUGHT he would be available at 104 or later based on their thinking of what other teams might do between picks 1-103. For all we know the Rams could have had Strange ranked 10th on their board but still thought that he would slide to pick 104 for a number of reasons. For whatever reason you think that every team follows the same draft board, which is dumb.
Obviously I don't think every team follows the same draft board... the Patriots draft board for example was apparently way different than most... hence the criticism for their first two picks especially. You're just getting completely ridiculous now... "Strange could have been 10th on the Rams draft board"... yeah ok, that's why they were considering his probable availability at 104. Get real.

Strange: I didn't say he was a 1st rounder, but he was a mid-2nd rounder and would likely have been gone before #54.
There were probably at least 30 better players available at #29. Either way it was too early for Strange. They should have stayed at #21 and taken McDuffie or Elam.

Mason and OG: Belichick felt that guard WAS a need, partly for cap reasons and partly due to some decline, and that there were 3 real good guards that would be available in mid r1 to mid r2. Are you seriously gonna question his roster management decisions like this?
Yes, and why wouldn't I? Belichick doesn't have a great track record as a GM. I don't want to open that can of worms but collectively his drafts have been subpar. As for your rationalizing the changes at G, I can see letting Karras go if they felt they would have had to significantly overpay him to stay, but the Mason trade makes no sense. Adding Strange to the equation doesn't make them better at the position than they were a season ago.

Thornton: in this case the Pats were at 54 and moved up to 50, because they felt a run on WR's was about to start, which in fact is what happened. They had their pick of the r2 WR litter, and they took Thornton, who they feel is the best fit for their team. Do you know better than they about Thornton vs those others? There's also been several reports that TT was going in the 2nd round. The draftniks were wrong as they often are - he was a 2nd rounder, not a 4th or 5th rounder. It was a great move to slide up to 50 and get their man.
Do I think Pickens, Pierce and Moore will be better NFL receivers than Thornton? Yes.

I would have been much happier if they had traded up to get Metchie like the Texans. Trading up for Thornton, who assuredly would have been available at least through the 2nd round, made no sense. The guy's a toothpick... 6'3" maybe 180. Pickens and Pierce are the same height with much better size. Either one of them would have made sense or even Skyy Moore.

QB: for a low 4th, they get a guy they must like, and it fixes the backup QB position for years, cheap. They don't like Stidham going forward.
Right, Stidham sucks, he's a backup, where he belongs. If backup is where Zappe belongs then he wasn't worth the 4th round pick. I much prefer a player there who may actually help the team during games that count.

Big Picture

Original Picks: 21, 54, 85, 127, 164, 200, 242

Comp Picks: None

Picks Made: 29, 50, 85, 121, 127, 137, 183, 200, 210, 245

Players Traded for Picks: Shaq Mason, Sony Michel, Ryan Izzo,

Players Added from Picks: DeVante Parker, Trent Brown, Shaun Wade, Isaiah Ford, Yasir Durant

Next years Draft: Traded their 3rd Round pick but picked up Carolina’s 3rd Round pick
Picked up a 4th Round pick from Rams
Traded their 5th Round pick

NEW: WR: DeVante Parker
Tyquan Thornton

OL: Trent Brown
Cole Strange
Chasen Hines
Yasir Durant
Andrew Stueber

RB: Pierre Strong
Kevin Harris

QB: Bailey Zappe

DL: Sam Roberts

CB: Shaun Wade
Marcus Jones
Jack Jones
Nice try, they traded for Brown last year, he is a free agent signing this year. Once you remove him from your list, the failure of this draft becomes crystal clear.

IF a Div 2 player can develop into a great guard, the Pats at best will tread water at that position, by wasting a first round pick and gaining a 5th.

Nobody was taking Strange before the third round, Jerrah Jones actually showed Dallas draft board for rounds one and two, and Strange wasn’t even on it.

Obviously I don't think every team follows the same draft board... the Patriots draft board for example was apparently way different than most... hence the criticism for their first two picks especially. You're just getting completely ridiculous now... "Strange could have been 10th on the Rams draft board"... yeah ok, that's why they were considering his probable availability at 104. Get real.

There were probably at least 30 better players available at #29. Either way it was too early for Strange. They should have stayed at #21 and taken McDuffie or Elam.

Yes, and why wouldn't I? Belichick doesn't have a great track record as a GM. I don't want to open that can of worms but collectively his drafts have been subpar. As for your rationalizing the changes at G, I can see letting Karras go if they felt they would have had to significantly overpay him to stay, but the Mason trade makes no sense. Adding Strange to the equation doesn't make them better at the position than they were a season ago.

Do I think Pickens, Pierce and Moore will be better NFL receivers than Thornton? Yes.

I would have been much happier if they had traded up to get Metchie like the Texans. Trading up for Thornton, who assuredly would have been available at least through the 2nd round, made no sense. The guy's a toothpick... 6'3" maybe 180. Pickens and Pierce are the same height with much better size. Either one of them would have made sense or even Skyy Moore.

Right, Stidham sucks, he's a backup, where he belongs. If backup is where Zappe belongs then he wasn't worth the 4th round pick. I much prefer a player there who may actually help the team during games that count.

You do realize that teams are all going to rank Strange differently, don't you? Until you get me a copy of the Rams draft board, you should just stop embarrassing yourself.

Also, you do realize that there were 40 players ranked higher than Logan Mankins in 2005, don't you? Looking back at the draft Mankins was a top 4 player.

And no offense, you don't know how to evaluate talent. There are a few posters here I trust wrt to the draft. You are not one of them. In fact you are nothing but a Tommy Troll, Dave from Boston.

Last edited:
On second thoughts and after further film analysis and reasoning, the draft grades on my end can be updated from C- to a B.

Thornton's comparison against the top WR's really blew me away and the fact that he had a pretty bad QB and still came up with the numbers speaks volumes about it. And his film doesn't lie. His fluid movements are impressive .

If strange can provide 5 years of top 10-15 guard performance at a total comp of 30 million , that's a huge win . If he becomes all pro even more better. Want to see how our run game improves even further this year .

Loved both the Jones pick and strong . So thats a A.

Bailey zappe was a trade that I did not like but he might turn to be the best discounted backup who also keeps Mac on his toes.

Sam Roberts is my binkie for this year.

We replaced Shaq, gunner , JC with rookies and also got the backup for Harris .

The way I see the draft is to build a strong core for 2023 and 2024 and compete with them. Pats next year could run us into Seattle and create our own legion and then armed with picks and cap space go for the kill in 2023 and 2024.

I grade it as a "Blech!", which is slightly behind my "meh" grade and slightly ahead of my "Yak!" grade.

Seriously, I was not a fan. The need I wanted to address most was to get a couple more studs in the front 7. I mocked Boye Mafe in the 1st and Troy Andersen in the 2nd. I think that would have been a million times better than what we did. Strange was easily a round too early, Thornton won't be a great WR (just a fast one), the second Jones was overdrafted and a redundant pick after the first Jones (who I love). Did a similar thing at RB, where we drafted a stud in Strong, but then followed up with another RB that we probably don't have a roster spot for. I like the late picks - Roberts was a favorite sleeper of mine going into the draft, and I always wondered why Hines wasn't more highly regarded. All in all, maybe it's more of a "meh" draft - we got some players that will contribute and maybe a couple of real studs, but we wasted several of our pick.

So to recap:
a. "30 better players than Strange" - according to whom? he was gonna get picked by mid 2nd round, and ended up getting picked in the low 1st round. He's a freak athlete. The Pats moved down and got paid a 3 and a 4, then they picked him and he's gonna be their starting LG and they're very happy about it. But you're not. Houston picked a G at 15, LA picked a G at 17, Tampa and Minny picked G's in the 2nd. Were those all bad picks too? It was time for Karras and Mason to go, and I trust Bill Belichick to make those calls, as we all should. He's also not just thinking of 2022, but the next 5 years.

b. BB and his brain trust liked Thornton over Pickens, Pierce, and Moore, who were all picked within 5 spots of each other. Not only that, they jumped from 54 to 50 cause they feared Thornton would be gone by 54. And it's been confirmed since that TT was gonna go in that bunch to somebody, he wasn't lasting till our next pick. But you know better.

c. Metchie was picked at 44, so a 10-spot jump in the middle of the 2nd round would've cost us a 3rd. Metchie is also injured, and I noticed that another theme this year in addition to speed was to pick guys that don't have existing ACL injuries. And he's not in TT's class in terms of speed. As far as being a toothpick, so are a lot of the top WR picks the past couple of years including Jamieson (both 6'2 in the 180s).

d. I don't know about Zappe, I was just shocked to hear that any college QB threw for > 6000 yards last year.

Last edited:
You do realize that teams are all going to rank Strange differently, don't you? Until you get me a copy of the Rams draft board, you should just stop embarrassing yourself.
We don't need a god damn snapshot of their draft board... they told the entire world they had Strange at 104 or thereabouts.

McVay: "How about that? And we wasted our time watching him thinking he'd be at 104 maybe!"

They thought he would be able at 104. McVay's spin on his comment (and laughing in Belichick's face) was merely an attempt to cover his butt for a public display of disrespect.

Also, you do realize that there were 40 players ranked higher than Logan Mankins in 2005, don't you? Looking back at the draft Mankins was a top 4 player.
That was back in 2005 after they had won 3 of 4 Super Bowls and had an established all-world quarterback. The current team obviously is in a much different spot... probably looking up at 8-10 teams in the conference alone. All of their draft picks are at a premium as they're rebuilding the roster hopefully toward a championship caliber team again. I don't think Strange moves the team forward at all. Even if he's as good as Mason then they're still no better off at that position.

Also, suggesting Strange could turn out as good as Mankins is ridiculous. Mankins was one of the best guards in the league for the majority of his career.

And no offense, you don't know how to evaluate talent. There are a few posters here I trust wrt to the draft. You are not one of them. In fact you are nothing but a Tommy Troll, Dave from Boston.
Oh I'm really hurt. You are a weirdo. What's your obsession with my name and location?

So to recap:
a. "30 better players than Strange" - according to whom? he was gonna get picked by mid 2nd round, and ended up getting picked in the low 1st round. He's a freak athlete. The Pats moved down and got paid a 3 and a 4, then they picked him and he's gonna be their starting LG and they're very happy about it. But you're not. Houston picked a G at 15, LA picked a G at 17, Tampa and Minny picked G's in the 2nd. Were those all bad picks too? It was time for Karras and Mason to go, and I trust Bill Belichick to make those calls, as we all should. He's also not just thinking of 2022, but the next 5 years.
b. BB and his brain trust liked Thornton over Pickens, Pierce, and Moore, who were all picked within 5 spots of each other. Not only that, they jumped from 54 to 50 cause they feared Thornton would be gone by 54. And it's been confirmed since that TT was gonna go in that bunch to somebody, he wasn't lasting till our next pick. But you know better.
c. Metchie was picked at 44, so a 10-spot jump in the middle of the 2nd round would've cost us a 3rd. Metchie is also injured, and I noticed that another theme this year in addition to speed was to pick guys that don't have existing ACL injuries. And he's not in TT's class in terms of speed. As far as being a toothpick, so are a lot of the top WR picks the past couple of years including Jamieson (both 6'2 in the 180s).
d. I don't know about Zappe, I was just shocked to hear that any college QB threw for > 6000 yards last year.
In short you subscribe to In Bill We Trust. And you think everyone else should as well. He's tasked with rebuilding a team absent the greatest player in the history of the league. The track record without is not good. We'll have more information next season but every team in the division has gotten better and the Bills were already way ahead of us. Then there's the conference which also has collectively gotten much better. As things stand right now I don't see an improved Patriots roster (and the coaching staff is probably much worse if we're counting on Patricia and Judge in significant roles).

Nice try, they traded for Brown last year, he is a free agent signing this year. Once you remove him from your list, the failure of this draft becomes crystal clear.

IF a Div 2 player can develop into a great guard, the Pats at best will tread water at that position, by wasting a first round pick and gaining a 5th.

Nobody was taking Strange before the third round, Jerrah Jones actually showed Dallas draft board for rounds one and two, and Strange wasn’t even on it.

WRONG !!!

They used this years 5th round pick for Brown. From USA Today March 9th 2021. (Sorry but I don't know how to cite the article)

"The Las Vegas Raiders traded traded the tackle to the New England Patriots on Tuesday, according to multiple reports. The teams swapped future draft picks, per NFL Network, with the Raiders receiving a 2022 fifth-round pick in exchange for Brown and a 2022 seventh-rounder."

WRONG !!!

They used this years 5th round pick for Brown. From USA Today March 9th 2021. (Sorry but I don't know how to cite the article)

"The Las Vegas Raiders traded traded the tackle to the New England Patriots on Tuesday, according to multiple reports. The teams swapped future draft picks, per NFL Network, with the Raiders receiving a 2022 fifth-round pick in exchange for Brown and a 2022 seventh-rounder."
They used this years pick for Brown LAST YEAR!

They signed him as a free agent this year.

They used this years pick for Brown LAST YEAR!

They signed him as a free agent this year.
Are you dense

As part of this years draft picks capital that I listed on the first line as Original Picks (Round 5 pick 164 given to us by the NFL based upon last years season record) was used to acquire the Player Trent Brown. How the f*ck can you argue that. All I listed was facts - I gave no draft grade or opinion on purpose and I get an idiot that can't see the obvious. From the 7 NFL picks that all teams get the patriots turned them into the 14 players that I listed. Whether you like them or not I DON'T CARE !! But stop being so ignorant !!

Wozzy's 2022 Draft Review (with grades... kinda)

Rnd Player Pick Pos College/Univ - Thumbs up
1 Cole Strange 29 OL Chattanooga

I wanted to write “he reminds me of Joe Thuney” and be done with it, but inevitably that would lead to “Joe was taken in the third round.” To which I would say, that isn’t what one should be comparing. If the 2016 draft were done over, where would Joe Thuney be taken now is the question and "much higher" is the answer. He just got paid 80 million dollars, teams know his value now.

Cole is tall at 6’5” but he doesn’t have long arms, so naturally that would move him inside. But his athleticism and mobility is such, he could probably mirror anyone and use his feet instead of his arms to defend. And while his arms might be average in length, they’re strong… he benches the moon. It’s King Kong “play now” type strength, so he isn’t letting go once he gets a meat hook around you. He plays mean, plays angry, plays downfield making multiple blocks at the next level… assuming health, he’s a blue-chip offensive lineman. He seems a likely a candidate to win the “Dan Connolly Award” for playing all 5 positions along the line.

Rnd Player Pick Pos College/Univ - Boom/Bust
2 Tyquan Thornton 50 WR Baylor

Forty times make people sit up and take notice. Yeah, they’re pretty overrated when talking about football speed, but in combination with a great vertical leap and knowledge a deep threat WR could be dangerous with really ordinary agility by almost exclusively working the field vertically and being a naturally crafty route runner. You run to spots on the field and a great QB will throw to spots. You can only run a three tree route, but if you’re open and fast that’s enough. A receiver who comes to mind is Desean Jackson, he’s slight of build, fast as all hell, consistently gets open deep but isn’t overly mobile…. and only needs 2-3 catches a game to burn the opposition. A middling version of this is David Patten, the worst version is Bethel Johnson. I think this Thorton pick has the biggest boom or bust potential of all these picks, and WR is already a position with the highest failure rate offensively in every draft for every team. But one thing that really gives me hope is his college stats.

Tyquon was 5th in receptions in the Big-12 with 62 catches, he was 4th in yards receiving with 948, he was 6th in yards per reception at 15.3 per… but most impressively ranked second in the entire conference with 10 receiving TD’s.

Why are these ^ random stats impressive, we’ve seen stats from college prospects who’ve failed before as pros… it’s because Baylor ranked 8th out of ten teams in lowest number of passing attempts in the Big12. Thornton made the most of his opportunities, must have caught them at a fairly high rate, got open, and had great instincts around the red zone. He also loves route running as a craft by his own admission. Boom or Bust.

3 Marcus Jones 85 CB Houston

In 1998 Allen Rossum was drafted in the third round by the Eagles, his consistency led him to #2 all-time in kick return yards, tied for 3rd all-time in kick return TD’s, 10th all-time in punt return yards and tied for 9th all-time in punt return TD’s. He is the only player in NFL history to have a kickoff return for a touchdown with five different teams… he was also tiny and played a little slot CB.

This is a player I thought of when trying to pin down Marcus Jones. But watching Jones offensive highlights, he looks like Tyreek Hill. He didn’t work out, but obviously he’s a next level athlete based on stats and film alone. You can’t fake that kind of production, or fake looking that much faster than everyone else on the tv screen. I’d love to know how the Pats use him if Jon Jones returns healthy and looks like his old self. They may try to use this kid in the slot offensively and craft some Tyreek-like plays just the get the ball in his hands.

Rnd Player Pick Pos College/Univ - Thumbs down
4 Jack Jones 121 DB Arizona St.

Jack Jones is a slot cornerback with one thing going for him physically… mobility. He is good at that. Beyond that he is tiny, like Marcus Jones but without the extreme athleticism you want… almost need.

He’s 5’11” 171 pounds… featherweight. He ran a 4.5 forty, average speed. His vertical was 35” so average explosion and lastly he benched it 11 times… so he’s just plain weak. He’s Myles Bryant but a tenth of a second faster. He maybe a better football player as well, a willing hitter, an instinctual guy… but in the 4th round there were better CB prospects there. Zyon McCollum taken in the 5th might be a more of a finesse CB, less inclined for the big hit, but he is a substantially better athlete and cover corner prospect. I thought for once this weekend the critics were right, the Pats took a player who should have been taken rounds later much too soon. He will require a year just to get strong enough to play, either on our practice squad or elsewhere.

4 Pierre Strong 127 RB South Dakota St.

He was my draft binkie at the RB position, he is James White’s new understudy but I think he could add a dimension to the running game that doesn’t exist currently. One that the team tried to find when they drafted speedster Laurence Maroney years back… a home run hitter. He's the fastest RB on the roster by far, his agility is best among all RB’s, his vertical leap was bested only by the other rookie in the RB room Kevin Harris. He’s even got decent strength, but has room to get a little stronger. I think they may use him as a 3rd down back, especially if White’s injury prevents him from coming back after all. But if White is back they may roster this kid just to hand it off to him and get him the ball a few times a game... a long as he plays special teams and can pass block. With Harris in a contract year, White’s health up in the air this was a great pick here.

4 Bailey Zappe 137 QB Western Kentucky

After the Jack Jones pick, I needed a crisis manager to talk me off the Tobin ledge. The Pierre Strong pick was the one, but it was followed soon after by the Zappe pick. What does Zappe have wrong with him that dropped him to the 4th in a “QB weak” draft? Being a short (6’.05”) and a small school prospect is enough to sink you… even in a weak draft for QB’s.

But what does Zappe have right with him… everything else. He was to the FBS what Mac Jones was in 2020 for Alabama, he led the nation in every meaningful stat… and by a lot. His single season passing ranking in 2021 for historical context: his 5967 yards is 1st all-time in NCAA history, his 62 TD’s is 1st all-time also, his 686 attempts 7th all-time… and look, we expect this type of production from an air raid offense but he completed 69.2% of his passes and he had the highest QB Rating of any rookie in the draft class. And while he may only be as tall as Drew Brees, Zappe also weighed 217 pounds… he’s stocky and muscular, not soft. He’s a smart kid who does the little things well and plays a cerebral game… like the current guy. I don’t think BB saw this kid and said “good back-up,” I think he saw this kid and said “good QB.” You don’t draft back-ups, you draft potential starters and competition determines pecking order. They got arguably the best QB available in this draft class in the 4th and it was a position of need.

6 Kevin Harris 183 RB South Carolina

In 2020 Kevin Harris ranked second in the SEC behind only Najee Harris in rushing yards, he had the third highest yards per average in the SEC, he rushed for the second most rushing TD’s in the SEC… there’s no bigger college conference than the SEC.

In 2021, a month before camp began, Harris had surgery on his back to remove a cyst from a spinal nerve. The injury didn’t cause Harris to miss any games during the 2021 season, though he did miss the season-opener due to an illness and when he came back he struggled to repeat his success from the previous season… but he got stronger as the season went on. A year removed from surgery means the Pats may have gotten a steal here, but at worst they got a grinder. At 5’10” 221 pounds he reminds me of a healthy Stevan Ridley, who also played in the SEC. They have similar size, strength, agility and running style… Harris may be a shade faster and more explosive even.

Rnd Player Pick Pos College/Univ - Boom/Bust
6 Sam Roberts 200 DE NW Missouri St.

This pick is a lot like the Marcus Jones pick, he didn’t work out except for vertical leap (good), forty (average) and bench press (average) but his production and film at division two are eye popping. He won an award that amounts to the best defensive player in all of division two. He was a scholar who got a big GPA, works with the elderly in his free time and oh yeah and he’s a Pat’s fan. At 6’5” he projects to play that Deatrich Wise DE position… which is funny because I beg them every year to improve there and they never do. But he’s a little bigger than Wise with shorter arms. He looks really strong on the interior and plays in opposing team’s backfields, he was unblockable at division two. There’s some boom or bust here, he could be Deatrich Wise or perhaps better… or he could be Brandon Deaderick.

6 Chasen Hines 210 G LSU

No

7 Andrew Stueber 245 OL Michigan

No

These last two picks sucked. They did better in UDFA with O-Linemen.

This is a copy/paste job but here ARE the UDFA’s.

Kody Russey, C, Houston - Guy is a plus athlete with a lot of starts in the pivot under his belt. Forty and vertical were good but his shuttle and bench were great. His 38 bench reps would have made him the strongest player at the combine had he attended.. and by a lot.

Brenden Schooler, S, Texas - Another guy who every measurable was in the plus column. At 6'2" 203 his 4.43 forty is good, as was his 37.5" vertical, 16 bench reps, 128" broad jump but lastly his agility drills were superior with a 6.71 Cone and 4.10 shuttle.

Devin Hafford, CB, Tarleton - If this guy ran his forty a tenth of a second faster he would have been drafted, but he seems to fit what they are looking for now at CB. Guys who can play zone. He is really strong for a CB, had he attended the combine his 24 reps would have been tops amongst all DB's. Every measurable besides forty and broad jump are good or great, and even those two are still decent. When you're that strong and athletic, a 4.5 forty is less of a hindrance because you can toss WR's around at the line of scrimmage and knock them off their routes. AJ Bouye or Richard Sherman are good examples of this. Another solid UDFA signing.

The guys above ^ are my favorites (thumbs up) to make the team despite the rooms they're entering being crowded already.

Liam Shanahan, C/G, LSU - I wouldn't necessarily put at the above guys level but he was a good athlete in many regards, his forty wasn't good but his vertical, bench and both agility drills were in that good not great area. He's a little tall for Center with short arms. He's on the outside looking in IMO but he's not without talent. He might make the PS here or on some other team.

Jake Julien, P, Eastern Michigan - I don't know **** about punters so I just copy/pasted his bio on his school page.

"Julien was previously drafted No. 31 overall by the Ottawa RedBlacks in the 2021 Canadian Football League Draft. A special team standout in Ypsilanti, Julien was a 2021 Second Team All-Mid-American Conference selection. EMU's all-time record holder in punt average at 44.0 yards per kick, Julien had 9,726 yards on 221 tries. Additionally, Julien is the only punter in Eastern Michigan history to record two 70+ yard punts in his career. In 54 career contests, he has 51 kicks of 50-or-more yards to go along with 71 placed inside the opponent's 20-yard line. Throughout his career at Eastern Michigan, Julien garnered two Second Team All-MAC honors and seven MAC West Division Special Teams Player of the Week honors. In 2021, Julien was named fourth team preseason All-American by Phil Steele's College Football Preview and selected first-team Preseason All-MAC by Phil Steele while grabbing second-team accolades from Athlon Sports."

Do I think we need a punter... not necessarily, but I suspect the team is negotiating with their current one who is slightly overpaid and this is a leverage/insurance move. The rest off the UDFA's are jags.

None of the other UDFA’s are likely to make it, they’re not good enough athletically.

Last edited:
Overall due to need I would give it a C minus D plus… I feel like we left out a lot of positions that we really have a strong need for ….. What do you think?

Sorry for not reading the first 20 pages; but I think... you're being too kind.

Strange was going within 15 picks of where he got picked. There's been numerous confirmations of that, including from Giardi today. The Rams guys were laughing because their fantasy of landing him at 104 blew up spectacularly, they were laughing at themselves.

As for the argument that you don't take a G in round 1, what about the other two guards taken above us? What about the Jets last year? Almost every year there's a G taken in the first round. Stupid argument that you don't take a G.

I commend the Pats taking the guy they wanted at 29. They'd already made some draft capital by trading down from 21. They probably were trying to trade down again a few spots but couldn't, so they made the choice. He sounds like a very rare athlete, can't wait to see him play.
The Cowboys actually showed thier draft board, they had 38 players rated with First or second round grades, Strange was not on the list.

That is the only real confirmation, NOBODY was taking Strange in the first round, I highly doubt anyone was taking him before 54 either.

The worst part of this, is this pick was made to fill a need created by trading away Mason for a meager 5th rd pick. The BEST the Pats can hope for is that Strange can play as well as Mason. So when the result of your first, at best, is a lateral move, you have failed in drafting.

I don’t care if Strange ends up being the second coming of John Hannah, his presence does not make the Pats a better team, today, tomorrow, or in 4 years.

They needed to improve the defense that could not make the Bills punt. This draft in its entirety makes no sense, a 4th rd pick on a guy that doesn‘t have a prayer of making the Gameday roster, reaches in both the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

I do like the Strong pick, but the rest were seriously over drafted, and the talent just isn’t there.

Are you dense

As part of this years draft picks capital that I listed on the first line as Original Picks (Round 5 pick 164 given to us by the NFL based upon last years season record) was used to acquire the Player Trent Brown. How the f*ck can you argue that. All I listed was facts - I gave no draft grade or opinion on purpose and I get an idiot that can't see the obvious. From the 7 NFL picks that all teams get the patriots turned them into the 14 players that I listed. Whether you like them or not I DON'T CARE !! But stop being so ignorant !!
A more accurate assessment of the Pats fifth rd pick this year would be to say it was used in 2021 on a player whose contract has since expired.

The obvious answer is its impossible to grade a Draft without seeing any of them play games. But I did not like them taking a Guard in the first round, especially with them creating a hole themselves there. Along with not addressing really the outside corner or linebacker position at all. They lost an all pro corner and seem to not care. I understand they like their young players from last years draft but to me that wont cut it, along with playing a lot of safeties. I do like how they took a chance on a receiver skill set they did not have, hoping hes dynamic with the ball in his hands. Consistently long, mistake free scoring drives will be harder and harder to come by, especially now that Brady is gone. A big play here and there will help

I feel the best way to evaluate the draft, given the players’ actual value and performance is tbd, is to look at how needs were addressed and trust the Pats scouts/evaluators know more than draftniks. Should we really be grading a draft on how well actual expert talent evaluators match media people who had 4 QBs going first round?

High upside Guard to replace Mason
WR with speed and big play ability to help Mac
CB with great return skills to replace Gunner
CB with great man skills, cheap cost long shot to replace JC
Backup QB to replace Stidham
Fast RB with Woodhead #s to potentially replace White in the future
Interesting 6’s and 7s that are outside chances to contribute

I agree with most that not addressing the DL and
NT specifically disappoints but hope will be addressed with veteran signings.

I think they did well trying to address as many needs as possible for a B+. Actual success can’t be judged till way down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back