PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So how do you grade this year’s draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure who this guy is but . . . :whistle:

This same guy has a super high grade on Leo Chenal. Chenal is off the charts. 250 guy that runs a 4.45

We may look back at this draft and not complain at all about Strange over Dax Hill, but not choosing Chenal may come back to bite us.

Picking a smart, tenacious, and athletic OG at 29 who has played very little big time football and needs a bit more core strength was a horrific over reach. I could have stomached it at 54.

A mistake like this and with the efforts of the other teams in the AFC East (even the Jests seem to be getting their act together) means the Patriots have a very real possibility of being no better than .500 in their division. And that’s being generous.

I’m guessing that this is what BB and Matt Groh saw when they picked Cole Strange. Pretty similar combine measurables to Joe Thuney.

C+

I don't know why they needed to draft two RB'. The only drafted one DT and in the later rounds and made a bunch of head-scratching moves. It wasn''t a disaster but only just. They must rate their own players VERY highly. We shall see...I suppose.

Strange, although taken too high for my taste will be solid starter as his floor.

Thorton, it will be interesting to see how they use him. I know most of the concerns are around size but I think with the rule changes he'll be fine. I'm wondering if he'll be used in the slot in a Deion Branch type manner running the 12-18 routes and he has the speed to run between the safeties for the big play.

Marcus Jones upgrades our return game right away. He could land in the slot on either offense or defense. It will be interesting to watch. Nickel safety is another position to watch for.

Jack Jones is going to have an impact if he can stay out of trouble. Hopefully not to the same degree but like Hernandez he's never there without the off the field stuff. I'd like to know how many teams had him off their board.

Strong, James White replacement is my guess. Playing at a small school I didn't see a lot of him.

Zappe, I don't hate the pick like some do. The kid is a good value pick who could lead the team if MJ10 gets hurt. He sort of reminds me of Colt McCoy. Probably never going to be a full time starter but a good career backup.

Harris, are they forward looking if they can't resign with other Harris? I assume he he has special teams value. I was suprised about two RBs for sure with the other needs.

Roberts could be a Deaderick type of surprise who catches on and has a decent career here. I'm sure Bill had a woody over the blocked kicks. I really like the pick.

Hines and Stueber likely land on the practice squad but they both play a lot of positions so maybe they can latch on at one.

We'll certainly find out how this class ranks out. I'm going to say C+ and I hope I'm proven wrong. They need a minimum of three starters out of this group if they're going to hope to contend for a playoff spot.

Here is what I would have done differently

1. pick Dax Hill at 29 as a CB, instead of Strange
2. pick Troy Andersen LB instead of Thornton
3. Marcus Jones pick was fine
4. Calvin Austen instead of Jack Jones
5. Pierre Strong good pick
6. Chris Oladokun instead of Zappe
7. Kevin Harris fine
8. Bo Melton or Dareka Young instead of Chasen Hines
9. stueberr OK

ridiculous picks- Thornton and Jack Jones and Zappe F--------
Marcius Jone B+
Pierre Strong A-
Kevin Harris B+
Please send your resume to BB as it appears he could use your expertise

Not as bad as most are making it. LG was a definite need, and who cares if he came in the bottom 1st or middle 2nd. Same for CB and WR. If we'd have picked Elam or something in the bottom 1st people would rejoice, but what if Jones turns out better as a dual threat - CB & PR. Bottom line, everyone is a gamble. We gambled on the fastest WR in the class, nothing wrong with that. Took the fastest 3rd down RB to replace White in a year or two. You got to try. Sure, I thought QB and another Harris weren't as needed as EDGE or LB, but BB must think the guys we have are better bets than a low-draftee who won't make the team anyway. Let's see what happens in TC.

Bill played this draft perfectly. He's got 10 picks in the 2023 draft. He let other teams take so called elite players in a not so deep pool knowing next year's draft is where the values are. Chess vs checkers. Dude's a genius.

Well, we didn't win the post-draft grading championship, which we seem to lose every year to the Jets or Cowboys, but we likely helped ourselves in the long-run. So there is that, I guess.

Anyway, I don't know a thing about any of these guys outside of what BGC, and a few other people who I read on message boards, post into easily digestible write-ups for us. But I like the philosophy of doubling/tripling up positions to mitigate risk.

With bust-rates so high with draft picks, regardless of the round they were taken or consensus draftnik group-think, Belichick and Groh again layered redundancy into their choices (which they've been doing the last few years with TE, Edge, LB, OL) with the hope that one of these guys in each group works out. Now granted it's been a mixed bag. Owenu and Herron worked out. Assisi and Keane, Wino (traded) and Uche not so much, but there is still time. Perkins and Jennings (different draft, but same position) are incomplete so far.

So, if the hope is to get a couple starters and some depth out of each draft, let's hope that Strange and Thornton turn into starters for us, and a couple from the doubled up OL, CB, RB picks turn into valuable subs/depth over the next couple seasons and then the draft can be viewed as a success.

Regardless, though, I'm definitely a fan of what they're trying to do.

C+. Maybe B-

I didn’t watch the draft, but I didn’t realize that CB from Clemson Andrew Booth slid down to the second round because of hernia surgery that prevented him from being properly evaluated.

This is the kind of player and position we should have targeted.

I’m guessing that this is what BB and Matt Groh saw when they picked Cole Strange. Pretty similar combine measurables to Joe Thuney.

When the 2022 Patriots are compared to the Patriots of Thuney’s rookie year, which won the SB, one realizes how many talent deficits are on the current team: no CB1 and no NT for starters.

Last edited:
Priority needs were -

OL - Need to throw deep and force defenses to defend the whole field. That requires the QB having time.

WR - This team has needed a dynamic # 1 WR for years. Look how Cooper Kupp and Jmarr Chase transformed their teams into scoring machines. The 2022 WR group was riding on Devante Parker staying upright and Agahlor improving. Too many 2021 NE drives stalled out placing the NE defense right back on the field.

Look at the Bills drives compared to the Patriots drives in the 2021 post season butt kicking. The Pats longest drive was exactly where you dont need it.

Wild Card - New England Patriots at Buffalo Bills - January 15th, 2022 | Pro-Football-Reference.com

CB - Obvious hole after walk on JC Jackson followed the money.

Who knows if any of these drafted players will pan out, but the order was of sound mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes