PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So how do you grade this year’s draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The money in 2021 didn’t just appear out of thin air… they didn’t find it in a briefcase on the beach. The cap they owed on Gilmore in 2020 was more than the dead cap of Brady, AB and Bennett combined.

And it wasn’t written like that five years prior when Stephon signed that deal. His cap hit was massive because they reworked his contract to open up cap space in 2018 and 2019 so they could sign players at the trade deadline… players who at least in 2018 helped them win a ring. They did this with Tom’s contract, Gronk’s, Cannon’s contract and more.

Brady made the decision to leave, he was a free agent. And it was the right decision, for both player and team, which is what I said before Tom even said he was leaving. That they were up to their ears in cap debt and their team was old. It was time to cut the cord and rebuild.
Im a little confused, are we talking about the same thing! You said they cleared the money in 2020 so they had a ton of it in 2021. If Brady was on the books going into the 2021 season, they still wouldve had a lot of money to spend, correct? Maybe we should just agree to disagree

Im a little confused, are we talking about the same thing! You said they cleared the money in 2020 so they had a ton of it in 2021. If Brady was on the books going into the 2021 season, they still wouldve had a lot of money to spend, correct? Maybe we should just agree to disagree
No, not unless he blindly accepted playing on a bad team. Plus they owed 13.5 million in cap debt for him before signing him. Add 50 million to 13.5 and you’ve lumped 63.5 million in cap debt onto the books… they were already broke and like 12 starters needed to be re-signed or replaced.

They cleared all that dead cap and Gilmore’s bloated cap off the books in 2020. That’s what made 2021 possible. There’s nothing to agree or disagree with, it’s math.

No, not unless he blindly accepted playing on a bad team. Plus they owed 13.5 million in cap debt for him before signing him. Add 50 million to 13.5 and you’ve lumped 63.5 million in cap debt onto the books… they were already broke and like 12 starters needed to be re-signed or replaced.

They cleared all that dead cap and Gilmore’s bloated cap off the books in 2020. That’s what made 2021 possible. There’s nothing to agree or disagree with, it’s math.
63.5 Mil didnt go on the books in 1 year. You just said they ate that dead money in 2020 anyway...So the remaining 2/50 wouldve been just that in 2021 and 2022, without even adding in additional extensions. Gilmore has no relevance to this conversation. He was traded away, that couldve happened with Brady here as well. His 2021 cap hit was 10.5, I dont see how that hinders them from doing much of what they did in the 2021 offseason. 1 player being on the roster doesnt cost 160 mil gtd in a year

63.5 Mil didnt go on the books in 1 year. You just said they ate that dead money in 2020 anyway...So the remaining 2/50 wouldve been just that in 2021 and 2022, without even adding in additional extensions. Gilmore has no relevance to this conversation. He was traded away, that couldve happened with Brady here as well. His 2021 cap hit was 10.5, I dont see how that hinders them from doing much of what they did in the 2021 offseason. 1 player being on the roster doesnt cost 160 mil gtd in a year
So break it up into two years like the Tampa deal. That’s almost a 32 million dollar cap hit for both 2020 and 2021. That’s a lot.

Also this all hinges on Tom agreeing to rebuild, which at 43 he didn’t want to. Especially given they might not be good enough in 2021… so he’d have wasted two years of his career.

This is all mental masturbation at this point. It was smart for Tom to go, it was smart for the Pats to move on. Now they have two young QB’s on rookie deals, one coming off a Pro Bowl season, they have an exciting young team and are slated to have the most cap space in the league in 2023 with the most players already under contract. They’re rich.

So break it up into two years like the Tampa deal. That’s almost a 32 million dollar cap hit for both 2020 and 2021. That’s a lot.

Also this all hinges on Tom agreeing to rebuild, which at 43 he didn’t want to. Especially given they might not be good enough in 2021… so he’d have wasted two years of his career.

This is all mental masturbation at this point. It was smart for Tom to go, it was smart for the Pats to move on. Now they have two young QB’s on rookie deals, one coming off a Pro Bowl season, they have an exciting young team and are slated to have the most cap space in the league in 2023 with the most players already under contract. They’re rich.
I gave you the cap numbers, you said theyd reset in 2020...Agree wholeheartedly. His numbers wouldve been high. Offset that with not Franchising Thuney and youre mostly all set. We know what his cap hits in 21 and 22 were/will be, if they did exactly what Tampa gave, it was 10.5 last year and almost 12 this year. They wouldve been better than they were last year and probably this year, that is for certain.

I like where they are too, itll still take a lot of development from Mac to help take this team to the next level...I just refute the fact that this team wouldve been dead with Brady on the Tampa deal. Thats also not even entertaining the fact that the Team really couldve avoided the dead cap hit deal if they wanted to sign him earlier! Its an irrelevant argument, but it helps pass the time!

I gave you the cap numbers, you said theyd reset in 2020...Agree wholeheartedly. His numbers wouldve been high. Offset that with not Franchising Thuney and youre mostly all set. We know what his cap hits in 21 and 22 were/will be, if they did exactly what Tampa gave, it was 10.5 last year and almost 12 this year. They wouldve been better than they were last year and probably this year, that is for certain.

I like where they are too, itll still take a lot of development from Mac to help take this team to the next level...I just refute the fact that this team wouldve been dead with Brady on the Tampa deal. Thats also not even entertaining the fact that the Team really couldve avoided the dead cap hit deal if they wanted to sign him earlier!
TB wanted to go.

giphy.gif

Except that team would have sucked royally... I mean they would have been terrible. The same roster in 2020 with Tom instead of Cam and no Thuney, no Devin McCourty.... that's a horrible team no matter how you slice it. And they don't have all that cap space in 2021 if they do this.
I like where they are too, itll still take a lot of development from Mac to help take this team to the next level...I just refute the fact that this team wouldve been dead with Brady on the Tampa deal. Thats also not even entertaining the fact that the Team really couldve avoided the dead cap hit deal if they wanted to sign him earlier! Its an irrelevant argument, but it helps pass the time!
The goal is to win rings, not retain Tom and scrape by.

I get that a subsection of fans believe Tom has magical powers and makes everything better... he doesn't. The defense, special teams and O-Line may look a little better with his presence, but he can't make a bad team good... he simply can't. No single player can... if Tom had magical powers he'd have closer to 23 rings... he doesn't.

Except that team would have sucked royally... I mean they would have been terrible. The same roster in 2020 with Tom instead of Cam and no Thuney, no Devin McCourty.... that's a horrible team no matter how you slice it. And they don't have all that cap space in 2021 if they do this.
You keep talking about the 2020 roster, I think ive made the point they couldve had a down year in 2020 and have rebuilt on the fly like they did in 2021 and on. They dont have all of the space in 2021 if they had Brady, but they have a lot of it. McCourty was on the books for 11 mil last year, thats more than Brady. I think they couldve pretty easily found the way to use that 100+ mil in money to upgrade the roster, with a HOF qb.
The goal is to win rings, not retain Tom and scrape by.

I get that a subsection of fans believe Tom has magical powers and makes everything better... he doesn't. The defense, special teams and O-Line may look a little better with his presence, but he can't make a bad team good... he simply can't. No single player can... if Tom had magical powers he'd have closer to 23 rings... he doesn't.
Not sure whos arguing that sir! Just that they couldve retained Brady and still been competitive!

You keep talking about the 2020 roster, I think ive made the point they couldve had a down year in 2020 and have rebuilt on the fly like they did in 2021 and on.
And Tom wasn't okay with that, it's why he left.
They dont have all of the space in 2021 if they had Brady, but they have a lot of it. McCourty was on the books for 11 mil last year, thats more than Brady.
Brady reworked his deal in Tampa after 2020 so they could bring everybody back in 2021, it screwed him initially because it added an extra season onto his deal and he tried to leave for Miami. Point being his initial cap hit before reworking his deal was 25 million per season over two years.
I think they couldve pretty easily found the way to use that 100+ mil in money to upgrade the roster, with a HOF qb.

Not sure whos arguing that sir! Just that they couldve retained Brady and still been competitive!
Not competitive in 2020, possibly competitive in 2021... but they still would be working a bunch of young players in because they wouldn't have spent as much in free agency. It's more likely they don't win a ring in 2021 than do.

Tom went to a team in Tampa that led the league in passing yards the year prior, that was third in passing TD's, that had a stud defense and one that could pay him 50 million over two years without breaking a sweat. NE couldn't compete with that.

McGrone, Uche and Jennings have to step up in the LB room for the defense to be effective this season. Otherwise they need to cut bait and get better there next offseason.
The first two of those players are incompatible with a heavy 2-gap defensive scheme, the coaches also have to step up and tweak the scheme to make it work as well. Or, why did the choose those players in the first place?

The first two of those players are incompatible with a heavy 2-gap defensive scheme, the coaches also have to step up and tweak the scheme to make it work as well. Or, why did the choose those players in the first place?
Jennings can provide depth behind Judon, possibly play opposite him on passing downs if he emerges as a force. McGrone can run a high 4.4 forty according to his ex-Michigan coach, he and Uche should provide speed back there. Bentley takes over from Hightower as the lone thumper in the middle. A SS will play a lot in big nickel at LB. Assuming the youth step up and play well, they should have a good unit.

And Tom wasn't okay with that, it's why he left.
This is a different discussion wed would have to have! Maybe in another thread
Brady reworked his deal in Tampa after 2020 so they could bring everybody back in 2021, it screwed him initially because it added an extra season onto his deal and he tried to leave for Miami. Point being his initial cap hit before reworking his deal was 25 million per season over two years.
His initial cap hit didnt matter, they took the year to eat money. If he signed the 2/50 deal here, im sure he wouldve extended and done the same. Its what hes done forever.
Not competitive in 2020, possibly competitive in 2021... but they still would be working a bunch of young players in because they wouldn't have spent as much in free agency. It's more likely they don't win a ring in 2021 than do.
Not arguing 20, I think theyre competitive in 2021 for sure, they almost were with a rookie qb and tons of new guys. Sub in a HOF qb and I think the team is much better. Do they win a ring though? Wouldnt bet on it, but theyve done some incredible things I wouldve never bet on during their run as well!

Tom went to a team in Tampa that led the league in passing yards the year prior, that was third in passing TD's, that had a stud defense and one that could pay him 50 million over two years without breaking a sweat. NE couldn't compete with that.
And poor coaching/culture and structure! Talent only gets you so far! A lot of other talented teams in the league, not just TB.

You really could, considering it was BB for years giving Brady all the answers to the test before each game. Teaching him how to read a defense
So Belichick's got all the answers for Mac jones as well, right? We should be expecting a Super Bowl title soon. But then again, what happened in 2020 with Cam? Didn't have all the answers to the test that year? Bledsoe in 2000? Kosar and Testaverde? Funny how having all the answers only works with Brady.

Yeah, without those two all Tom had was Mike Evans, Gronk, Tyler Johnson, Scotty Miller, Cameron Brate, Fournette, OJ Howard...
You're hopelessly ridiculous. You said the Bucs had basically the same exact team. I point out how WRONG you are by reminding you they were down their #1 and #3 WRs and your reply is being without your #1 and #3 WRs doesn't matter. ************.

The Buc's won in 2020 because they learned to run the ball just before the playoffs, they lost in 2021 because they forgot to run the ball.
Here again you're WRONG. Go ahead tell me this doesn't matter either:

2020 Bucs Rushing Offense:
Attempts: 29th
Yards: 28th

2021 Bucs Rushing Offense:
Attempts: 31th
Yards: 26th

The Bucs run a pass first and often offense... this was before Brady even got there. They were 1st, 2nd & 1st in passing offense from 2019-2021. The big difference was transitioning from Winston to Brady which cutout a ton of inefficiency, mistakes and turnovers. That's right, Brady made the difference, he made the Bucs a Super Bowl contender. They probably could have been the #1 seed last season had their offense not completely fallen apart with injuries... that second Saints game they were without Brown and then Evans and Godwin went out before halftime. They still managed to get by (on one occasion with a miracle finish by Brady) until the Rams matchup when they just didn't have enough firepower to get through it. Too many injuries and a collapse on defense ended their season.

How he got by (won rings) with late round picks Edelman, Troy Brown and undrafted arena football league star David Patten I'll never know.
I don't recall a season when Edelman, Brown and Pattern were their 1-3 WRs. I mean what's your point here anyway?... because he won with lesser WRs he then should have been able to suddenly get by with Grayson and Perriman over Godwin and AB?

You're right, it was all defense. Their RB's were Jamal Lewis (NFL Offensive Player of the Year, First-team All-Pro, Pro Bowl, NFL rushing yards leader, NFL 2000s All-Decade Team) and Priest Holmes (NFL Offensive Player of the Year, First-team All-Pro, Pro Bowl, 2× NFL rushing touchdowns leader, NFL rushing yards leader, NFL scoring leader, Kansas City Chiefs Hall of Fame)... They had Shannon Sharpe at TE (3× Super Bowl champion, 5× All-Pro, 8× Pro Bowl, NFL 1990s All-Decade Team), Quadry Ismail, Travis Taylor and Jonathan Ogden (9× All-Pro, 11× Pro Bowl, NFL 2000s All-Decade Team, eventual HOF).

Were any of those ^ guys great?
The 2015 Broncos had Peyton Manning, one of the greatest QBs of all-time, and he actually was a detriment to the team winning.

2000 Ravens had a good running game, not great. Lewis and Holmes didn't receive any accolades in the 2000 season. Their passing offense was bottom third in the league, which is being polite, so I don't care who their receivers were, their QBs sucked. Their all-world defense gets 85% of the credit for that Super Bowl... probably more in the postseason when they gave up 3, 10, 3 & 7 points.

Do I have to count the number of Pro Bowlers on Tampa (Mike Alstott, Keyshawn Johnson, Keenan McCardell, Martin Gramatica) also?
Again, you're meandering, so try to stay on track... we're talking about the 2002 Bucs... more than half of those players didn't make the pro bowl. Their offense ranked 18th in scoring and 24th in yards whereas their defense was 1st in both. In 3 postseason games their defense forced 13 turnovers... they completely dominated that season start to finish. The rest of their team was mediocre at best.

I think you mean 2012 and no... Ray Rice, Anquan Boldin, Marshal Yanda, Matt Birk, Justin Tucker, Dennis Pitta, Torrey Smith, Michael Oher... none of those guys were good. The team was "average," lol... even though every starting O-Lineman on the team but one has a history of Pro Bowls and All Pro teams... they were "average?"

Fantasy football isn't real football... QB-centrics like yourself need to realize that.
We can talk fantasy football if you'd like but otherwise I think we've established here that we're talking actual football.

Right the 2012 Ravens and yes they were an average team THAT season...

Offense:
15th in yards
15th in first downs
15th in passing
11th in rushing

Defense:
17th in yards
21st in first downs
17th in passing
20th in rushing

Those are actual rankings and they reflect an average team. They limped into the postseason but their quarterback caught fire and carried them to a Super Bowl title.

Nick Foles beat Tom Brady, but "team" isn't what wins rings... only in some QB fanboy's head does this make sense.

Tom's magic must have shut off that night, all he did was pass for 505 yards and 3 TD's.

And it's not that Donta Hightower, 350 pound Alan Branch, Jon Jones and Patrick Chung were unavailable due to injury... it's because Nick Foles magically got good for one night... then lost his magic powers afterwards. Got it.
That Super Bowl result is an anomaly because you had the unprecedented occurrence of a head coach inexplicably benching a vitally important player which had an obvious detrimental impact on the outcome of the game.

Use another example. You do realize Tom Brady didn't create football in six days and rest on the 7th right? There were great QB's before him, and there are great QB's playing currently besides Tom.

Cut the cord buddy, there's a whole world out there...

At the very least stay on topic of threads and stop dragging us down these Brady ball washing rabbit holes. Many of us don't believe in magic or superheroes.
There's only one GOAT... that's how it works. If I had an example of another quarterback dominating postseason game-winning drives then I would give it to you. There isn't one.

This is a different discussion wed would have to have! Maybe in another thread

His initial cap hit didnt matter, they took the year to eat money. If he signed the 2/50 deal here, im sure he wouldve extended and done the same. Its what hes done forever.
He obviously knew the grass was greener elsewhere, and it was. I don't fault him.
Not arguing 20, I think theyre competitive in 2021 for sure, they almost were with a rookie qb and tons of new guys. Sub in a HOF qb and I think the team is much better. Do they win a ring though? Wouldnt bet on it, but theyve done some incredible things I wouldve never bet on during their run as well!
If Tom was on last year's team I think the defense still falls apart after the bye week. Either way it wouldn't be the same exact team, signing Tom would have a ripple effect on their overall spending. Something like 4% of their entire cap was dedicated to the QB position in 2021 with Cam's dead cap, Mac, Stidham and Hoyer... that number would be substantially higher with Tom. Some free agents we have now wouldn't be there assuming Tom re-signed. It's not a one for one situation.
And poor coaching/culture and structure! Talent only gets you so far! A lot of other talented teams in the league, not just TB.
Jameis Winston leading the league in turnovers, throwing the 6th most INT's in NFL history and fumbling the ball is largely what doomed Tampa. Tom was exactly what they needed.

Last edited:
He obviously knew the grass was greener elsewhere, and it was. I don't fault him.
Maybe be true at some point in his thinking, but I think there were other major factors involved as well. Again, im happy to discuss in another thread! I already feel partly responsible for derailing this one!

If Tom was on last year's team I think the defense still falls apart after the bye week. Either way it wouldn't be the same exact team, signing Tom would have a ripple effect on their overall spending. Something like 4% of their entire cap was dedicated to the QB position in 2021 with Cam's dead cap, Mac, Stidham and Hoyer... that number would be substantially higher with Tom. Some free agents we have now wouldn't be there assuming Tom re-signed. It's not a one for one situation.
Agree there, not 1 for 1...But they still have a lot of money to upgrade the roster. Do they have to be more conservative about their choices? Sure, but thats what the FO/Bill gets paid to do. They can choose just Henry instead of Henry and Smith. And that saves a lot of money, can they live without Godcheaux? I think so, etc etc.

Jameis Winston leading the league in turnovers, throwing the 5th most INT's in NFL history and fumbling the ball is largely what doomed Tampa. Tom was exactly what they needed.
I dont dispute parts of that, but their coaching/culture and structure was bad. They havent made the playoffs in 15 years, thats a hard feat to achieve. Jameis was fine in NO, under good coaching. I know you care about coaching based on our discussions, so its not something to overlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents