PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Six months after SB win, what little thing sticks in your memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This.
Despite the tight score it simply never felt like the issue was in doubt, the only one of the Pats SB games that felt that way.

Well it’s our largest margin of victory despite the low scoring game. So the two statements are consistent.

Not to take anything away from JMAC, but I think we still would have won even if they scored there. LAR had no business being on the field against us that day. Their coach was too starry eyed over Bill to actually prepare.

You are assuming that a TD there wouldn't have given them and their QB more confidence and made them more relaxed. I don't like the word momentum because to me it is a ******** concept that people use to connect often independent events into an overarching narrative. But to me there are moments in a game that can shake the confidence of a team or give them a boost. I honestly think this was one of them.

Even when the Rams and Goff did almost everything right and exploited the right matchups/coverages the Pats were still individually prepared enough to be a step ahead of them.

It kinda reminded me of how the KC AFCCG game started to flip on that one deep completion on third down against Gilmore right after halftime. The first few plays looked like our total domination would continue but then Mahomes finally connected and it seemed to calm him down.

How Gilmore bullied CJ Anderson and nearly forced a game changing fumble recovery

So much thunder already taken between the defense with the genius quarters design to Gronk’s possibly last contribution.

So I’ll have to go with the special teams here and say that we witnessed the best combined kicking performance by 2 punters in not just the super bowl, but the history of the game.

It was the surprise that Sean McVay had no clue had to adjust to the Patriots defense. For someone who has been hailed as a terrific offensive coach (with some justification) to be totally befuddled with how to attack the different look the Patriots threw at him (which took away outside runs and essentially allowed the Patriots to ignore play action) was so unexpected. And it kept up the entire game.

You are assuming that a TD there wouldn't have given them and their QB more confidence and made them more relaxed. I don't like the word momentum because to me it is a ******** concept that people use to connect often independent events into an overarching narrative. But to me there are moments in a game that can shake the confidence of a team or give them a boost. I honestly think this was one of them.

Even when the Rams and Goff did almost everything right and exploited the right matchups/coverages the Pats were still individually prepared enough to be a step ahead of them.

It kinda reminded me of how the KC AFCCG game started to flip on that one deep completion on third down against Gilmore right after halftime. The first few plays looked like our total domination would continue but then Mahomes finally connected and it seemed to calm him down.

Otherwise known as “momentum.”

For me it was the defense. Great 1st half vs the Chargers, great 1st half vs the Chiefs, and then a ridiculous full game vas the Rams. The Chiefs and the Rams have 2 of the top 12 scoring offenses ever, and to play 6 quarters of perfect defense against those 2 teams was incredible to watch. Scary to watch 2nd halves vs the Chiefs and Chargers, but that 1st half defense gave up 7+0+0 in the 3 playoffs games, a total of 7 points against some excellent offenses.

Then the last 2 scoring drives by the Pats in the SB. I kept on saying, "Brady, it's time to Brady them" all game, he finally did it in the TD drive that pretty much ended the game. The way that defense played, 7 points might as well had been 70 points. Best defensive performance I've ever seen. The Rams never got past the Pat's 27 yard line, NEVER got into the Red Zone, I think that only happened once before (Cowboys vs Dolphins in SB 6 I believe). Maybe the Ravens vs the Giants, the Giants only scored on a kick off return.

Regardless, I consider the Pats defensive performance the most dominating ever in a Super Bowl, because who they were playing, The Ravens were not facing a powerhouse offense in the Giants, The Cowboys were not facing a powerhouse offense in the Dolphins. The Pats were facing the 12th highest scoring offense EVER. 3 points, and zero trips into the red zone. Incredible.

Just the way our defence played and how slow Goff looked at getting rid of the ball.

I have kept highlights of chargers/chiefs/rams games and usually watch at least one of them every week.....so good

Nope. Confidence. Read again.
Read it. You’re still describing momentum. Confidence is a part of that, as anyone who has ever played a sport competitively can tell you.

The Oxford Dictionary of Sports Science defines psychological momentum as, "the positive or negative change in cognition, affect, physiology, and behavior caused by an event or series of events that affects either the perceptions of the competitors or, perhaps, the quality of performance and the outcome of the competition. Positive momentum is associated with periods of competition, such as a winning streak, in which everything seems to ‘go right’ for the competitors. In contrast, negative momentum is associated with periods, such as a losing streak, when everything seems to ‘go wrong’."

For me it was the defense. Great 1st half vs the Chargers, great 1st half vs the Chiefs, and then a ridiculous full game vas the Rams. The Chiefs and the Rams have 2 of the top 12 scoring offenses ever, and to play 6 quarters of perfect defense against those 2 teams was incredible to watch. Scary to watch 2nd halves vs the Chiefs and Chargers, but that 1st half defense gave up 7+0+0 in the 3 playoffs games, a total of 7 points against some excellent offenses.

Then the last 2 scoring drives by the Pats in the SB. I kept on saying, "Brady, it's time to Brady them" all game, he finally did it in the TD drive that pretty much ended the game. The way that defense played, 7 points might as well had been 70 points. Best defensive performance I've ever seen. The Rams never got past the Pat's 27 yard line, NEVER got into the Red Zone, I think that only happened once before (Cowboys vs Dolphins in SB 6 I believe). Maybe the Ravens vs the Giants, the Giants only scored on a kick off return.

Regardless, I consider the Pats defensive performance the most dominating ever in a Super Bowl, because who they were playing, The Ravens were not facing a powerhouse offense in the Giants, The Cowboys were not facing a powerhouse offense in the Dolphins. The Pats were facing the 12th highest scoring offense EVER. 3 points, and zero trips into the red zone. Incredible.

And it's not like the offense was giving the defense a ton of help. They didn't possess the ball a ton (33:10 is pretty good but not over-the-top dominating). They didn't roll up the points so that the defense could just focus on stopping the Rams' passing attack. This was a nip-and-tuck game where the defense needed to play ALL GAME LONG at the top of their ability.

And they did it.

I agree - the best Super Bowl performance, all things considered, by any defense ever.

For me it was three third and longs in Kansas City....

And the fact that that game should have been a blow out........

And it's not like the offense was giving the defense a ton of help. They didn't possess the ball a ton (33:10 is pretty good but not over-the-top dominating). They didn't roll up the points so that the defense could just focus on stopping the Rams' passing attack. This was a nip-and-tuck game where the defense needed to play ALL GAME LONG at the top of their ability.

And they did it.

I agree - the best Super Bowl performance, all things considered, by any defense ever.
Uh, I’m not so sure about that last sentence there, chief. It was a great performance, no doubt. But best performance by any defense, ever, in the Super Bowl?

41 points,
3 points.

"I know it was you, Matty"

Detroit-Lions-head-coach-Matt-Patricia-denies-1996-assault-allegation.jpg

Gronk's catch at the 2 yard line. Sealed a nail-biting game IMO (and yes, I know the TD was not scored there).

Just the vibe down here in Atlanta. The city was overrun with fellow Pats fans and it was great. I didn't go to the game but I sure enjoyed hanging out with everyone all week.

JezzusHKeerist, what are we talking about? Two score lead! Kick the GD ball! Game over! There's no debate here!

JezzusHKeerist, what are we talking about? Two score lead! Kick the GD ball! Game over! There's no debate here!

Amen, it was def a "What the hell is there to discuss?' moment.

A) Matt Patricia looks like an absolute clown (Pun intended) after the SB 53 performance. His defense gives up 41 to a backup QB in the SB. The next year (Without him) the defense gives up three to arguably the best offense in Football.

B) Things just seemed to be "off" during the SB 52 week. Such as BB going to a basketball game. And I never felt great about the D because they were beating scrub QB's mostly all season. Whereas this time around the Pats D played well against the likes of Rivers and Mahomes leading up to the game. The proof was there. I just couldn't imagine this team would beat the best team in football in their house, only to lose to the Rams. Not that the Rams were an inferior opponent. But I felt the Pats already beat the best.

C) They needed to atone for the SB 52 disaster. KVN said they still thought about everything they did wrong against Philly. They never wanted to allow it to happen again. After hearing him say that a few days before the game, I really started to think the defense would right a wrong. I never expected them to give up three points though. Incredible. One of four times BB held an offensive machine in check during the big game (90 NFC Championship game in SF; SB 25 against Buffalo; and of course SB 36).

All in all, this was one of the more satisfying Super Bowl wins they've had. Mainly because they atoned for SB 52. And they dealt with alot of adversity during the season. There's something to be said for going through adversity, and then overcoming it. In a way, that might be what led to the SB 42 defeat. That was a team that had everything go their way during the season. But when they faced a team that could handle their offense, they seemed to feel pressure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey