PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

six championships not the most for a QB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude...c'mon. Those rinky dink championships don't compare to the Super Bowl. It's why nobody brings up the off brand pre-World Series championships in baseball the local livery team won in bumfuk Oklahoma in 1870 something.

But instead you go right for a not-so-subtle 'everyone who disagrees with me is a milennial bandwagon jumper' comment.

The NFL before Namath was truly professional football.

Would you exclude Red Aurbach's basketball championships in the 40's?

How about pro hockey? Should we ignore all championships before 1960?

I suppose that it reasonable to ignore all NFL football before Namath. Personally, I think this to be an unreasonable view.

Professional sports did not start in the 60's or 70's or later.

Last edited:
I forget that so many here starting following pro football after 2001.

so, yes Graham only won 3 NFL championships.
Why don't we just include CFL championships or college championships or high school championships or Madden championships if we're going to count the AAFC? The Browns were a legitimate team but the competition in the league was such a joke such that the NFL doesn't count their statistics in its recordbooks. That's different than the AFL.

Still, I'd like a 7th to just lick the salty tears of the haters!!!

5 years ago Niners/Steeler fans were saying, "Not as many as Montana/Bradshaw!"
3 years ago a Packer fan said, "Not as many as Starr!"
Last year, it was, "Not as many as Jordan"
Now it is, "Not as many as Graham"

Keep going, baby!

Kelly Slater has won 11 world championships.

Can't imagine playing in that era...

7-t5342318-500.jpg

And...nobody will ever beat Bill F'ing Russell anyway.

We keep hearing about Jordan but there are 3 other NBA players with as many titles as Jordan and 9 NBA players with more.

I really want the Pats and Brady to win the 7th next year. More than the Steallers total SB, ties the Steallers with 4 SB in 6 years and Ties the Bills in consecutive appearences at 4 in arow. If this happened heads would explode thruout 31 fanbases. If Brady needs Otto Graham to motivate him, go for it.

Would you exclude Red Aurbach's basketball championships in the 40's?

I suppose that it reasonable to ignore all NFL football before Namath. Personally, I think this to be an unreasonable view.

Professional sports did not start in the 60's or 70's or later.

Why would anyone who cares about basketball care about anything outside the NBA? Where does the line get drawn? Do we now have to consider euro ships as part of the convo?

Superbowl era is all that matters when it comes to the nfl because the nfl before that was technically a different league

Why would anyone who cares about basketball care about anything outside the NBA? Where does the line get drawn? Do we now have to consider euro ships as part of the convo?

Superbowl era is all that matters when it comes to the nfl because the nfl before that was technically a different league

I don't take away from past competitors of pro sports in whatever form the sport 'was'. With that said, with football it's pretty clear: this NFL is a superbowl era entity. While there is comparability of sport, obviously, winning the SB is new thing. Prior to the SB there were two leagues and an individual league victory was the chamionship. With the merger and advent of the SB, it was taking these two league champions and matching them up to crown the undisputed pro football champion.

The two are sufficiently incomparable, IMHO, to make the SB era a different achievement.

The patriots were the patriots BEFORE there was a Super Bowl!

It is fine for folks to state that records are for the Super Bowl era. That's fine. However, there was and AFL before the Super Bowl. There was an NFL long before the Super Bowl. And there were professional leagues before that.

And so it is with professional basketball and hockey.

I go back to a time when playing in Alumni Stadium was a heck of a step up from watching my little team that couldn't stumble and bumble their way around Fenway. I've seen every incarnation of the Pats and league since I was a kid being told by father and grandfather the AFL wasn't 'real football' and what happened in the AFL didn't count when/if those teams became part of the NFL. The "so many here starting following pro football after 2001" is a gratuitous shot across the bow at folks that correctly pointed out the AAFC was no more a part of the NFL than the AFL. A high school kid that started following the Pats in '01 now may well have a high schooler of their own watching with them. For them it isn't a bandwagon, it's a birthright.

Your arithmetic is good. A four year old might remember the last use of leather helmets in 1940.

No, but most of us aren’t 83 years old and remember back when people ran around with leather hats

HoF voters use 1960 as their cut off for 'modern era' but realistically NFL performance and record criteria shouldn't even be defined by something as all encompassing as the Super Bowl era. Any reasonable mind should see even inside the Super Bowl era there is a huge difference between how business was done pre and post FA/salary cap. I honestly believe some years down the road we will see a delineation based on the FA/cap era. This isn't our father's and grandfather's NFL.

Last edited:
Why do believe that the NFL before the merger with the AFL is irrelevant and not "real" football?

There are lots of folks here who were patriot fans before there was a Super Bowl, and Giant or Browns fans before that. There was an NFL since the 20's and professional leagues even before that.

History of the National Football League - Wikipedia

The Giants, that is, the New York football Giants were founded in 1925.

History of the New York Giants - Wikipedia

You started a terrible thread. I mean, what would encourage you to do so unless you're not a Pats fan, which I know you are? Just deal with it and learn from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes