PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Sidy Sow - Round 4 - 117th overall

Math bomb, math bomb, Sow's my math bomb...
tom jones film GIF

The guy is a plug and play type at guard, big, explosive athletic and strong. He’s Onwenu’s replacement if they can’t come to terms on a new deal.

Assuming health and a great camp it wouldn’t surprise me to see Onwenu traded to the NFC at the end of preseason for a decent pick.

The guy is a plug and play type at guard, big, explosive athletic and strong. He’s Onwenu’s replacement if they can’t come to terms on a new deal.

Assuming health and a great camp it wouldn’t surprise me to see Onwenu traded to the NFC at the end of preseason for a decent pick.

Either Onwenu gets traded or Sow is one of our backup Tackles where he's plenty athletic enough:

We can't have 3 starting OG/C and 3 backups.

Brown, Strange, Andrews, Onwenu, Reiff are the likely starters

Sow (G/T swing), Andrews (C/G swing), Mafi (LG/RG swing) and probably Calvin Anderson should be the backups.

Either Onwenu gets traded or Sow is one of our backup Tackles where he's plenty athletic enough:

We can't have 3 starting OG/C and 3 backups.

Brown, Strange, Andrews, Onwenu, Reiff are the likely starters

Sow (G/T swing), Andrews (C/G swing), Mafi (LG/RG swing) and probably Calvin Anderson should be the backups.
Andrews is a hair’s length away from retirement. Onwenu is a free agent next offseason and will probably get a Joe Thuney type offer that’s too rich to match by any sane person.

That leaves Russey and Strange as the only interior linemen worth a damn on the inside entering 2024.

I still like Russey, probably more than this Andrews kid they drafted… but like them both. I have no way to quantify “smart,” but Pats coaches will be able to determine that and who can handle the line calls. Andrews (2) could provide depth if he doesn’t end up starting at center or guard.

I think Trent Brown starts at left tackle and Reiff or Anderson start at RT. McDermott probably earns the backup swing tackle position again. Reiff is a lot like Andrews and may not make it through camp healthy, he’s doesn’t have a lot of tread on those tires.

Why can’t the Patriots offer big dollars for at least one OL position like all 31 other teams do in order to have top tier experienced talent at a critical position?
Why do they not plan to give 2nd contracts to talent that they drafted and developed?

Why can’t the Patriots offer big dollars for at least one OL position like all 31 other teams do in order to have top tier experienced talent at a critical position?
Why do they not plan to give 2nd contracts to talent that they drafted and developed?
Logan Mankins and Shaq Mason say hello. Know your history.

Logan Mankins and Shaq Mason say hello. Know your history.
Mankins big contract was a side deal to reach a new CBA and end the lockout in 2011. Bill bristled under that contract and unloaded it on Tampa as soon as he could.

Mason’s deal was a very team friendly contract. Hell, it was so team friendly that it’s now on its third team without being redone.

You can draft and develop all you want. That is the way to build a team. But, one way they do need to adapt in the post #12 and eventual post BB era is by paying market to keep their better players through their 2nd contract. Players are going to matter more here than they have for the last 20 plus years.

Andrews is a hair’s length away from retirement. Onwenu is a free agent next offseason and will probably get a Joe Thuney type offer that’s too rich to match by any sane person.

That leaves Russey and Strange as the only interior linemen worth a damn on the inside entering 2024.

I still like Russey, probably more than this Andrews kid they drafted… but like them both. I have no way to quantify “smart,” but Pats coaches will be able to determine that and who can handle the line calls. Andrews (2) could provide depth if he doesn’t end up starting at center or guard.

I think Trent Brown starts at left tackle and Reiff or Anderson start at RT. McDermott probably earns the backup swing tackle position again. Reiff is a lot like Andrews and may not make it through camp healthy, he’s doesn’t have a lot of tread on those tires.

I know but we still won't keep 6 interior only linemen and Onwenu is clearly a guy they don't want at OT based on their words and actions. Also, Tackle is in worse shape than you just described at Guard.

Last edited:
I know but we still won't keep 6 interior only linemen and Onwenu is clearly a guy they don't want at OT based on their words and actions. Also, Tackle is in worse shape than you just described at Guard.
You bring 90 players to camp and whittle it down to 53, you keep the best. David Andrews and Riley Reiff have to make it through camp and preseason healthy, that’s not a given anymore.

I called Stueber and Hines bad draft picks last offseason, I don’t see them adding anything.

Mafi I have to least acknowledge gave a partial workout, I really have no clue how good he could be and have to also acknowledge the staff coached him at the Shrine Bowl where he shined. His bench wasn’t impressive but beyond that he could be an exceptional athlete. The coaches know better than I do. He also falls into that “too big to fail” category where, with no measurables to go on, one can assume what you see is what you get. Bigger matters.

Jake Andrews was a smart pick for a couple reasons. One he is a superior athlete, he can play center or guard, he is strong enough where he could probably play sooner than later. Whereas Mafi or a player like Solder often need a year in the weight program.

I’m still really high on Kody Russey, until Jake beats him out he is next in line at center from where I’m sitting. But the coaching staff can’t assume anything. I was high on Vincent Valentine after a rookie season where he played meaningful snaps at NT and played well. The following training camp he showed up fat, indifferent and was soon out of the league. Competition hardens steel and reveals a player’s true nature.

Sidy to me is an instant starter at OG if they need him. It doesn’t mean he will be. Injury, bad breaks, bad decisions can derail a career quickly in this league.

They need to plan beyond 2023. If all of the guys above become studs, that’s what we call a good problem to have. If it happens, they could trade Onwenu, they could turn a 6th round pick into a 2nd/3rd/4th and save some money.

OT to me is pretty set, they just need to stay healthy and execute…. but that describes every position group on every team in the league. The position is a little better off than people are suggesting. OT looked like a smart draft pick because Brown is a free agent after this year… suppose he plays well? They could sign him to a reasonable 2-3 year extension and be fine.

Last edited:
I’d love to retain Onweno, and we have tons of cap, but the Chris Lindstrom contract with a 5 yr aav of $20 million is insane and will likely affect the market for guards.

it is frustrating though having to restock already stocked positions while other positions of need still have holes.

I called Stueber and Hines bad draft picks last offseason, I don’t see them adding anything.
I think Hines will be a valuable backup at G. I don't think Stueber will make the 53.
Mafi I have to least acknowledge gave a partial workout, I really have no clue how good he could be and have to also acknowledge the staff coached him at the Shrine Bowl where he shined. His bench wasn’t impressive but beyond that he could be an exceptional athlete. The coaches know better than I do. He also falls into that “too big to fail” category where, with no measurables to go on, one can assume what you see is what you get. Bigger matters.
Mafi to IR
Jake Andrews was a smart pick for a couple reasons. One he is a superior athlete, he can play center or guard, he is strong enough where he could probably play sooner than later. Whereas Mafi or a player like Solder often need a year in the weight program.
IMO Russey will be the starting center when D. Andrews is not playing. J. Andrews will back him up.
Sidy to me is an instant starter at OG if they need him. It doesn’t mean he will be. Injury, bad breaks, bad decisions can derail a career quickly in this league.
Agreed. I think he can start at G in 2023. Maybe T is in play.
They need to plan beyond 2023. If all of the guys above become studs, that’s what we call a good problem to have. If it happens, they could trade Onwenu, they could turn a 6th round pick into a 2nd/3rd/4th and save some money.
Don't want to trade the best Offense Lineman on the team...but I understand your point.
OT to me is pretty set, they just need to stay healthy and execute…. but that describes every position group on every team in the league. The position is a little better off than people are suggesting. OT looked like a smart draft pick because Brown is a free agent after this year… suppose he plays well? They could sign him to a reasonable 2-3 year extension and be fine.
Quality-wise I think the line is slightly better so far then in 2022 and Klemm will help some as well.

I think Hines will be a valuable backup at G. I don't think Stueber will make the 53.
Not sure about either of them, Stueber is massive and at least has the length to play tackle…neither is a good athlete.
Mafi to IR
Or he starts if Onwenu is moved… no telling.
IMO Russey will be the starting center when D. Andrews is not playing. J. Andrews will back him up.
Agreed based on experience and athleticism alone but we have no clue about competence or brains. That’s an x factor fans have little knowledge about.
He’s athletic and better suited for guard, but they can get by in a pinch with good athletes.
Don't want to trade the best Offense Lineman on the team...but I understand your point.
Unfortunately “want” has nothing to do with negotiations unless Onwenu loves it here and is willing to take a reasonable deal.
Quality-wise I think the line is slightly better so far then in 2022 and Klemm will help some as well.
The line talent last year wasn’t bad as much as the execution, coaching and play calling was. Incompetence at the top can make even the most talented players look bad. Think Randy Moss on the Raiders.

Andrews will probably miss games moving forward anyway. I think he works out any money and sticks around as long as he's doing his job. Young Andrews waits his turn, even if he's pretty good.

I doubt they keep Onwenu once he can get paid. I don't know why, but they've always underestimated his value.
Michael Onwenu is definitely gone with the excessive Guard Drafting. I know they are hoping at least two of these Guards developing into Starters or solid back-ups.

Watch every time they stop their feet to change direction/side. Their belly and knees. Shoulders and eyes. That's what I try to look for here.

If you watch those drills and compare the lateral movement, quickness as well as space covered, you'll see that Skoronski covers a lot more ground and looks quicker and more fluid than Sow. That's the difference between a tackle and a guard IMO. Sow might do well on the interior but I don't see him covering enough ground laterally to block NFL pass rushers.

I feel RAS just indicates that Sow is very athletic for a guard, not that he's suited to be a tackle. Skoronski does his drills at :37 mark, and Sow at :52 mark if you want to compare them yourself.

If you watch those drills and compare the lateral movement, quickness as well as space covered, you'll see that Skoronski covers a lot more ground and looks quicker and more fluid than Sow. That's the difference between a tackle and a guard IMO. Sow might do well on the interior but I don't see him covering enough ground laterally to block NFL pass rushers.
Skoronski has fantastic movement skills. Specifically laterally so he's cut out for these drills. I think Sow is a G but he'll get some snaps at some point to see if there's anything there. More due diligence than anything.
I feel RAS just indicates that Sow is very athletic for a guard, not that he's suited to be a tackle. Skoronski does his drills at :37 mark, and Sow at :52 mark if you want to compare them yourself.
RAS is simply the results and summary of testing. He has no say or wants no say in anything scouting or coaching. It's just letting you know who the best athletes are. You can mess around with it a little bit but it's still a receipt from testing to sort out the best athletes.

He does gods work imo. Very helpful.

Mafi to IR

How much is the tag for a guard. If it's 10 million we can tag and trade and also get the last season from Onwenu at less than a million.trade only if you get a 2nd rounder

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back