PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sick of every mistake of Belichick being called "arrogance"

Status
Not open for further replies.

neuronet

Homer Little
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
It is inevitable. Every time Belichick does something that doesn't work out, there is some jackhole online, or writer, that attributes it to his "arrogance." STFU. He's just a coach who made some mistakes. He went for it on fourth down. How is that arrogance? Do you really think he was ****sure that they would get it? How was it arrogant to go for it on fourth down?

He rotated his offensive line early in the season, and the OLine ended up being weak. Well, obviously arrogance was the problem him thinking he could do a whole new type of OLine scheme. Or maybe, he wasn't sure what he wanted, and he was testing out lines until he found what worked. How the hell is it arrogant?

It has become a knee-jerk, thought-free, contentless conversation-stopping idiot flag. Just stop.

Here's a guy who spends much of the offseason brainstorming about football with other coaches, like he did with Chip Kelly when Kelly was a no-name at the University of New Hampshire. He's always looking for new ideas, new input, ways to shape his approach.

That is the OPPOSITE of arrogance.

Even if he is "arrogant" I don't think that's a bad trait for a head coach to have.

Its not like there's an NFL Coaching Book that all coaches must adhere to and if you don't then you're arrogant.

It is inevitable. Every time Belichick does something that doesn't work out, there is some jackhole online, or writer, that attributes it to his "arrogance." STFU. He's just a coach who made some mistakes. He went for it on fourth down. How is that arrogance? Do you really think he was ****sure that they would get it? How was it arrogant to go for it on fourth down?

He rotated his offensive line early in the season, and the OLine ended up being weak. Well, obviously arrogance was the problem him thinking he could do a whole new type of OLine scheme. Or maybe, he wasn't sure what he wanted, and he was testing out lines until he found what worked. How the hell is it arrogant?

It has become a knee-jerk, thought-free, contentless conversation-stopping idiot flag. Just stop.
Yes saying BB is arrogant is the ignorant lowest common denominator answer.

You are talking to a lot of people here who can't separate the call from its outcome. For them something that works is a good call and something that fails is an inherently bad call. Trying to discuss the nuances of decision making with people like that is the first mistake.

You are talking to a lot of people here who can't separate the call from its outcome. For them something that works is a good call and something that fails is an inherently bad call. Trying to discuss the nuances of decision making with people like that is the first mistake.

Going for it on 4 and 1, fine. Completely understandable. I thought it was a great idea. Going for it on 4th and 6 was...something. Arrogance isn't the word. Dumb probably. You always take the points. You had timeouts. Denvers O was dead in the water so you getting the ball back was pretty much guaranteed.

The coaching was abysmal. You have TB12 on the verge of the SB. You don't or can't protect him. Even then he still had you in position to win. And you screw him over by your stupidity. This wasn't the Peyton of 2006 and BB was seeing ghosts.

It was 10 years before they won one after '04. To be so bad with a chance to get to another one was very disturbing.

Going for it on 4 and 1, fine. Completely understandable. I thought it was a great idea. Going for it on 4th and 6 was...something. Arrogance isn't the word. Dumb probably. You always take the points. You had timeouts. Denvers O was dead in the water so you getting the ball back was pretty much guaranteed.

The coaching was abysmal. You have TB12 on the verge of the SB. You don't or can't protect him. Even then he still had you in position to win. And you screw him over by your stupidity. This wasn't the Peyton of 2006 and BB was seeing ghosts.

It was 10 years before they won one after '04. To be so bad with a chance to get to another one was very disturbing.

Brady is not an innocent victim here but was part of the issues. Both INTs -- especially the first -- where completely unnecessary and just him being not have enough patience or trying to force plays.

Also I'd turn around the two fieldgoal decisions. I'd say going for it with 4th & 1 with all that time could have been handled differently. But when you are down to almost the two minute warning, need 8 points to win and are in the redzone then you go for it on 4th & 6. You will need a TD either way and by going for it you have one more shot. If you fail you pin them deep and get a shot at good field position if your D and ST both step up.

Brady is not an innocent victim here but was part of the issues. Both INTs -- especially the first -- where completely unnecessary and just him being not have enough patience or trying to force plays.

Also I'd turn around the two fieldgoal decisions. I'd say going for it with 4th & 1 with all that time could have been handled differently. But when you are down to almost the two minute warning, need 8 points to win and are in the redzone then you go for it on 4th & 6. You will need a TD either way and by going for it you have one more shot. If you fail you pin them deep and get a shot at good field position if your D and ST both step up.

I would add that, to me, once you've opted to convert the 4th down vs. kicking a FG with 6 minutes left, you've committed yourself to doing the same thing with just over 2 minutes left.

I would add that, to me, once you've opted to convert the 4th down vs. kicking a FG with 6 minutes left, you've committed yourself to doing the same thing with just over 2 minutes left.

Agree. The moment we went for the first 4th down conversation we made our bed.

on the 4th and 6 wasn't there like 2:40 left? If they kick FG, then they would have needed a 3 and out to have a chance. That is a tough call..

I didn't think arrogance in either 4th down situation yesterday. I simply didn't understand it. At all. In such a close game all points matter, even 3 at a time.

With the infamous 4-1 call in Indy, I think we all understood why he went for it - the D was gassed. He didn't want to rely on the D again for another chance. That certainly did not appear to be the case this time around. It was the opposite IMO. The O was sputtering, and the D was holding up. Take the 3 and get the ball back. I'm still scratching my head...

Do you think needing 8 points to tie instead of 7 changed Bill's thinking in going for it on the 4th downs?..Shouldn't have, or is there a reason it would that I'm missing?

I didn't think arrogance in either 4th down situation yesterday. I simply didn't understand it. At all. In such a close game all points matter, even 3 at a time.

With the infamous 4-1 call in Indy, I think we all understood why he went for it - the D was gassed. He didn't want to rely on the D again for another chance. That certainly did not appear to be the case this time around. It was the opposite IMO. The O was sputtering, and the D was holding up. Take the 3 and get the ball back. I'm still scratching my head...
You just answered it I think, their offense was sputtering so maybe Bill thought they wouldn't get back down there again.

on the 4th and 6 wasn't there like 2:40 left? If they kick FG, then they would have needed a 3 and out to have a chance. That is a tough call..

Yep. The D was on fire at that point. The Denver O had done nothing in the second half. Nothing. You'd get the ball back. Which they did.

Idunno...if that's the case, you sure take the points - no?

You always take the points.

This is exactly the type of thinking that makes coaches stagnant, and kills their message after X number of years. Belichick is a great innovator because he doesn't concede that you "always take the points". Sometimes it doesn't work, like we saw Sunday, but I would rather have a coach that pushes the envelope and makes something happen than a coach who just wants to play it safe so he can't be blamed (ala Marvin Lewis).

I'm sure most teams would trade their HC for Belichick. That said, he did cost them yesterday. I also contribute most of the Pats success to Brady.

Also can't understand why they refuse to give Tom more weapons. A quality day 1 or 2 WR and RB at some point in the last 5 years and they'd be unstoppable. Even with what they have, won a SB, been to another plus 2 other AFCC games. What they have has worked well, but probably had another 2-3 trophies with better weapons.

There is no such thing as a perfect player or a perfect coach, unless Jesus decides to come down and strap on a helmet or put on a headset.

Bill is the best in the business but he still makes mistakes and some odd decisions. I'd still take him over any other head coach in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST