PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should we try to land Brandin Cooks?

The cost is relative. Better to pay Cooks 18m or give up a first and pay Tee Higgins 25m a year?
I'd rather get someone via the draft and/or have Tyquan become the guy.

Thoughts:

1.) Cookie has a 26M cap number. 18M guaranteed...which is what the Patriots would need to "eat".

2.) We already have Tyquan Thorton....which is a poor man's Cookie, IMO. And Thorton has 4 inches on Cookie...AND runs a faster 40.

3.) If Cookie were to take a pay cut AND we wouldn't need to give up more than a 5th...sure why not....otherwise...a hard pass.
Cooks has a 26M cap number for Houston. The Pats would not be on the hook for all of that. They'd only be on the hook for his salary. They can restructure him, if he is willing to do an extension then it becomes a lot easier.

The way I see it, we are losing Agonyolor and possibly Meyers to free agency... We got Bourne for 1 more year, with his deal up at the end of 2023... There isnt much left in the cupboard... Parker? meh... too inconsistent for my liking... Thornton? gotta show something...

Cooks is not the greatest WR in the league, but is incredibly productive... and was really not a fan of being in Houston last season... we got an "in" in the Houston front office with Caserio... think it would be worth forking over a 2, maybe get back a 6 or whatever ... The Texans dont really need draft capital though, after cleveland doubled up the Texans first and third round selections in the watson trade... But they are really in a full blown rebuild... 6 picks in the first three rounds gives them a lot of flexibility...

We get a reliable receiver who is a legit threat on the field... who's been here before, knows the drill etc... sure he will cost a pretty penny cap wise, but that could be addressed via an extension... I think it would be a good move to make this happen... Would be much happier going into the season with Cooks here...
The way I see it, we are losing Agonyolor and possibly Meyers to free agency... We got Bourne for 1 more year, with his deal up at the end of 2023... There isnt much left in the cupboard... Parker? meh... too inconsistent for my liking... Thornton? gotta show something...

Cooks is not the greatest WR in the league, but is incredibly productive... and was really not a fan of being in Houston last season... we got an "in" in the Houston front office with Caserio... think it would be worth forking over a 2, maybe get back a 6 or whatever ... The Texans dont really need draft capital though, after cleveland doubled up the Texans first and third round selections in the watson trade... But they are really in a full blown rebuild... 6 picks in the first three rounds gives them a lot of flexibility...

We get a reliable receiver who is a legit threat on the field... who's been here before, knows the drill etc... sure he will cost a pretty penny cap wise, but that could be addressed via an extension... I think it would be a good move to make this happen... Would be much happier going into the season with Cooks here...
I'll take cooks, But still want a game breaking WR.. cooks is a good player still has elite speed as we had him so we know his skill set.

9 years

but we gotta do something... the wr situation could become untenable very quickly...
@TommyD4207 care to share why you disagreed with this post? The thought process behind it is simple ... Lose Meyers to free agency, don't resign Agholor, leaving us with Bourne, Parker and Thornton... Or was it just a general disagreement with trying to bring Cooks back?

I wouldn't be too happy if the best wr we have is a toss up between Kendrick Bourne and DeVante Parker... That's what I consider an untenable position to be in... You have a QB who was hard pressed last year, we don't need to be making it any harder on him than it already is... We need to add talent to this position group...

not sure why anyone would disagree with that assessment... its a pretty bare bones basic look at the wr position prior to free agency (slim pickings, as Meyers is rated the best available wr) and the draft...

I'd rather get someone via the draft and/or have Tyquan become the guy.
Can't rightly argue with that train of thought. I would love Thornton to step up. But I'm not going to hold my breath.

A trade for a receiver is the Pats best option to improve the position imo. There are a couple guys (like Hopkins) who I would prefer to Cooks but I think Cooks would really help this team.

Even if the Pats trade for a receiver I still want to see them draft a slot receiver.

This is assuming Meyers prices himself out of New England. If Meyers is willing to take 12mm a year the Cooks doesn’t make as much sense. Although, I think Cooks is probably a better fit for a BoB offense.

Bull fecking ****. Did you want the damn Eagles SB??? They left 14 points on the board in the first half. If Cooks and the rest of the offense had manned up and played hard they would not have been down by 10. He is a SOFT player. No room for him on this team.
Bad take bro. Cooks got knocked out. In concussion protocol. Wasn’t up to him go come back in. Cooks Is a realistic possibility. I doubt we are giving up a first plus 70m guaranteed for a good receiver. Supposedly it’ll only take a 3 or 4 to get cooks

Cooks has a 26M cap number for Houston. The Pats would not be on the hook for all of that. They'd only be on the hook for his salary. They can restructure him, if he is willing to do an extension then it becomes a lot easier.
Yup, and his salary is 18M....guaranteed....

He played here before and wasn't that good. 18 million for that plus two years older? Are you insane?
we've had just three guys top 1000+ yards receiving in the last 6 years...

edelman ('19), gronk & cooks (both in '17)... cooks had 65 receptions and 7tds that year... come on with the "wasn't that good" narrative...

To quote General Patton, 'I don't like paying for the same real estate twice.' If it's not done, you say, 'This is not what we agreed on.'

Cooks pi***d and moaned his way off the Saints roster. He felt Drew Brees didn't have the arm strength to hit him downfield, and that he was being underutilized. He would through fits if he didn't get looks during a game, and let Payton know it. Just my opinion, but I don't think he comes to the Pats, because (in Cooks' mind) Mac may not have the skill set to make him money.

He once told a reporter "closed mouths don't get fed". Hard pass for me on Cooks.

Interesting side note. With the pick the Saints got in the trade, they took Ryan Ramcyk who has anchored the right tackle position ever since, and was named all-pro three times.

Brandin Cooks = Charmin Mega Soft

View attachment 50109

This is a quality you want in toilet paper but not in a football player.

There's a reason he's traded almost every season. Teams quickly find out that he's got some skills, but he's not 'that guy'.
Yup, the guy hated contact throughout his career which is why the Saints weren't going to pay him and why the Pats wouldn't pay him. If a DB just grazes him, he will find a way to drop the ball or not even make an attempt at the ball. The Super Bowl against the Rams was a prime example of what kind of player he is when it matters most. While this wouldn't have happened had Goff had his head out of his ass, a fingernail from Jason McCourty prevented Cooks from catching the ball. Cooks had a chance to haunt Bill's decision trading him, but he came in the clutch for the Pats.

Take the money and apply it somewhere else. He is not the answer.

Odell has expressed interest in playing for the pats. I like to take a flyer on Crowder also.

I'm not sure if Cooks makes the team that much better than it is now. I'd take him on the FA market at a reduced contract, but not for a big cap hit and a draft pick.

The only potentially available WR I like from a value standpoint is Jeudey, and I have a hard time believing Denver is going to shop him after going all in for Payton.

You made my point
We shall see what they do.
Should be a better offense regardless since Fat Matt is gone.
Lol …getting knocked out doesn’t make one soft

I don’t know / not a big guy yet has been pretty much injury free for 9 years. One of these years he’s gonna run out of luck and you know our good “fortune” with wide receivers…..

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back