PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should we try to land Brandin Cooks?

He was misused when he was in NE in 2017 and still managed to be a 1,000 WR. He'd have to reduce his salary. Bill didn't want to pay him then, why would he pay him now?

A year ago, Amari Cooper was about 1.75 years younger than Cooks is now, coming off a 2021 season comparable to Cooks’ 2022 and 2019-2020 comparable to Cooks’ 2020-2021. He was due $20M (none guaranteed) compared to Cooks’ $18.5M ($18M fully guaranteed).

He went for a fifth and a swap of sixths.

He was misused when he was in NE in 2017 and still managed to be a 1,000 WR. He'd have to reduce his salary. Bill didn't want to pay him then, why would he pay him now?
Because he can't Draft em??:)

The $$$$$$ would match up nice thought: I would rather them pay Cooks $18Mill than Jonnu $17 Mill.
I have no idea if the money could work. Seems Cooks wants out of HOU and the NEP would rather pay the big $ to a producing receiver.

Because now he'd be paying him the same as what he wanted to be paid 5 or 6 years ago?

I'm sure he'd glad Malcolm Jenkins retired.

I love Cookie. Shame things didn’t completely work out for him here. If this team was just a few key pieces away, I’d say no go for a 2nd rd pick for a trade. Considering this team has a lot of holes that need to be filled, I wouldn’t endorse any draft picks being traded above the 5th. We need those premium picks for young players locked up in cheap contracts. Paying aging vets like that, all the while using draft assets for the right to do so isn’t the best idea. Now, trading a player and a low rd. Pick….I’d be good with that.

Misused how?
Used him like a 50/50 WR chucking it downfield no matter the coverage like they would with Moss. That's not Cooks' game. He's a downfield threat, but he hates contested catches. He ran both short and long routes in NO, not so much in NE. I envisioned him to be used like Deion Branch and Wes Welker running screens/short routes picking up cheap yards and setting up the intermediate and occasional big play which Branch did. All year he looked uncomfortable in the Pats offense.
Because they didn't have the cap space and felt they could win a SB without him- which they did.
And they did facing Cooks who dropped a game changing TD with the slightest bit of contact. Bill didn't want to pay him because he was as soft as Charmin and not good enough to warrant the price tag he was seeking.

Him dancing around for no reason and getting knocked out in the prior Super Bowl didn't help either. There's a reason he kept getting traded.
Because now he'd be paying him the same as what he wanted to be paid 5 or 6 years ago?
$18M is way too much for him. Apply that money towards a real difference maker.

Cooks almost snatched our last SB victory. Good thing Goff was slow to the read while Jason McCourty turned on the burners to break up the pass.

(I think that was Cooks... Lol)

Cooks almost snatched our last SB victory. Good thing Goff was slow to the read while Jason McCourty turned on the burners to break up the pass.

(I think that was Cooks... Lol)
Yep, Cooks was immediately wide open and it's amazing how Goff didn't even see it until he was standing in the endzone. He still should've made the catch though.

$18M is way too much for him. Apply that money towards a real difference maker.
The cost is relative. Better to pay Cooks 18m or give up a first and pay Tee Higgins 25m a year?

Used him like a 50/50 WR chucking it downfield no matter the coverage like they would with Moss. That's not Cooks' game. He's a downfield threat, but he hates contested catches. He ran both short and long routes in NO, not so much in NE. I envisioned him to be used like Deion Branch and Wes Welker running screens/short routes picking up cheap yards and setting up the intermediate and occasional big play which Branch did. All year he looked uncomfortable in the Pats offense.
I think your expectations we not realistic as he had he exact same year in NE as he did in NO in 2016.
And they did facing Cooks who dropped a game changing TD with the slightest bit of contact. Bill didn't want to pay him because he was as soft as Charmin and not good enough to warrant the price tag he was seeking.
It was purely about money. Nothing more.

A year ago, Amari Cooper was about 1.75 years younger than Cooks is now, coming off a 2021 season comparable to Cooks’ 2022 and 2019-2020 comparable to Cooks’ 2020-2021. He was due $20M (none guaranteed) compared to Cooks’ $18.5M ($18M fully guaranteed).

He went for a fifth and a swap of sixths.
I'd make that deal yesterday, as long as Cooks is amenable to an extension and signing bonus restructure. You could give him a third and fourth year and make his total deal equivalent of 4 years/$75M with a $30M signing bonus. Drop his 2023 salary from $18M to $5M, drop 2024 salary from $13M to $10M, set 2025 salary at $12M and 2026 salary at $18M. Cap values would be $12.5M in 2023, $17.5M in 2024, $19.5M in 2025 and $25.5M in 2026.

Blow Your Mind Wow GIF by Product Hunt

those damn eagles ruined everything...
Technically, those damn Lions ruined everything..

I don't think Cooks would be a good fit here we need a WR who can go over the middle some. Cooks would get killed here.

That already happened in Cooks' first New England tour of duty.

I don't understand why this guy keeps bouncing around the league the way he has.

I don't understand why this guy keeps bouncing around the league the way he has.
I don't think there is really a singular reson per se. With the Saints, it was money and touches. With NE it was IMO money. With the Rams it was concussion and cap concerns and finally with HOU it was touches and a little 'tude.

My take on Cooks is he wants the ball and to get paid....like any NFL WR.

He's a luxury WR for a team that wants to go all in, IMO. Not an absolute game changer, but still really good and too expensive as a #2. It's a weird spot to be, but if he prefers payout above everything else, you're gonna be making trips each season to keep it up. He seems relatively calm and normal as a locker presence.

Yep, Cooks was immediately wide open and it's amazing how Goff didn't even see it until he was standing in the endzone. He still should've made the catch though.
It’s more than just that though. The play before the Gilmore INT, Cooks couldn’t catch a ball in the end zone. Certainly an argument could be made that he was interfered with and they should have called it (I think it was minor enough for a no-call), and it would have been a tough catch, but the great ones pull that down. He didn’t. I understand he‘s an upgrade on what we have, and might only cost a 3rd round pick in return, but he’s not a game changing #1 WR and he’ll be getting paid a lot. I’m not sold yet, would like to explore other options first.

Correct me if I am wrong, but seem to remember disdain for Cooks when he was here in '17, as he was thought of as some sort of "head case"...

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back