PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should the Pats use Tebow as a TE now ?

Brady has consistently had some injury in the playoffs the last 5 years. If we can minimize that while also not affecting our record, that's a good thing. And playing less = less nicked up.

Spoken like a true prodigy. It is amazing. Everyone wants to put Gronk on the shelf so he is healthy for the playoffs. But nobody ever mentions this about Brady. Every year we find out he was injured. Why would you rest your 23 year old TE and not even think about resting your franchise 36 YEAR OLD QB so that he can be healthy for the playoffs?

So he can get more stats? I would rather have a SB.

If that is the case then there may be other alternatives: for example, use James Develin as a RB/FB/TE, plus he's available for all four special team units. Mark Harrison has been brought up as a possible WR/TE too.

Why does it have to be either/or ? How could it hurt to have a number of guys who can fill multiple roles >

I am just not sold on the concept that Tebow would be a better TE4 or WR7 or RB5 than any of the other players available to fill those roles; he has experience running the ball but virtually none at all as a TE or WR. On top of that backups are counted on to contribute to special teams and I am even more skeptical that he would be of comparable worth on any of those units - and we know that Belichick places a lot of emphasis on special teams for bottom of the roster players.

Again, it's not a question of whether Tebow would be "better" at any one of those positions. That's the thing about "all around" guys. Yes, you can find someone better individually at position W, or X, or Y, or Z. But you then have to factor in the value of the versatility as well as the value of the additional roster spots. Teams generally don't expect TE4, WR7 or RB5 to make huge contributions or dominate games. These positions are "bit" roles, largely to be there in case of injury or to give guys higher on the depth charts a breather now and then.

We know throughout the years that Belichick has placed a lot of value on players that can contribute in multiple ways at multiple positions, so I wouldn't say that this is out of the realm of possibility. However, there are other players that may be better options to be a 'jack of all trades' type of contributor.

An underlying precept to my argument is that Bill and company see some value in carrying Tebow on the roster as the #3 QB. Whether that means that they are hoping that they can groom Tebow to replace Brady down the road, thereby allowing them to trade Mallet for picks. Or, perhaps they think that Tebow might only develop into a decent #2, which would still allow them to trade Mallet and draft Brady's successor at a later date. Or they can get Tebow to show enough in preseason games (this year or next) to trade him for a fairly high draft pick.

In my view, any of those would be enough reason to carry Tebow as the #3. BUT, if you add to it the fact that he could fill the roles of TE4, WR7 and RB5, that provides much more value than that provided by either Develin or Harrison. This is without even factoring in them possibly using Tebow to run the scout team for practicing to stop zone/read or mobile, scrambling, difficult to bring down QBs.

About three weeks to go until veterans report to training camp. It will be interesting to see and hear how this all plays out.

Yep. Should definitely make for interesting times.

TL;DR version. IF Belichick sees value in carrying Tebow as #3QB anyways, i.e. he'll definitely be on the roster, it makes sense to try and use him at other positions as well. Thereby freeing up additional roster spots.

Why does it have to be either/or ? How could it hurt to have a number of guys who can fill multiple roles >

Again, it's not a question of whether Tebow would be "better" at any one of those positions. That's the thing about "all around" guys. Yes, you can find someone better individually at position W, or X, or Y, or Z. But you then have to factor in the value of the versatility as well as the value of the additional roster spots. Teams generally don't expect TE4, WR7 or RB5 to make huge contributions or dominate games. These positions are "bit" roles, largely to be there in case of injury or to give guys higher on the depth charts a breather now and then.

An underlying precept to my argument is that Bill and company see some value in carrying Tebow on the roster as the #3 QB. Whether that means that they are hoping that they can groom Tebow to replace Brady down the road, thereby allowing them to trade Mallet for picks. Or, perhaps they think that Tebow might only develop into a decent #2, which would still allow them to trade Mallet and draft Brady's successor at a later date. Or they can get Tebow to show enough in preseason games (this year or next) to trade him for a fairly high draft pick.

In my view, any of those would be enough reason to carry Tebow as the #3. BUT, if you add to it the fact that he could fill the roles of TE4, WR7 and RB5, that provides much more value than that provided by either Develin or Harrison. This is without even factoring in them possibly using Tebow to run the scout team for practicing to stop zone/read or mobile, scrambling, difficult to bring down QBs.

Yep. Should definitely make for interesting times.

TL;DR version. IF Belichick sees value in carrying Tebow as #3QB anyways, i.e. he'll definitely be on the roster, it makes sense to try and use him at other positions as well. Thereby freeing up additional roster spots.

Ah, the imagined ability to be awful at not just QB but TE, RB, HB, FB and WR. What an ingenious way to build a roster.

Tim is a successful starting QB in the NFL..... PERIOD... You may not like him as a person...(Your problem, not his).... You may not like his style of play.... But it doesn't matter...You know why?... Because he WINS!!!!!...That's all that matters.... Tim was the greatest player in the country in High school and College... In the NFL, he took a dead Dog 1-4 Denver Broncos team to the playoffs where they defeated the #1 overall Defense in the league that year, The Pittsburgh Steelers....In his 1st Season Starting!!!!!!!... The guy is a QB and Brady's replacement after he retires... PERIOD...Until then, Tim will help the Pats Win as a situational playmaker.. Tim is the greatest teammate in the World, and will do whatever it takes to help the Pats win... Tim is nothing more or nothing less than a QB... God Bless

Tim is a successful starting QB in the NFL..... PERIOD... You may not like him as a person...(Your problem, not his).... You may not like his style of play.... But it doesn't matter...You know why?... Because he WINS!!!!!...That's all that matters.... Tim was the greatest player in the country in High school and College... In the NFL, he took a dead Dog 1-4 Denver Broncos team to the playoffs where they defeated the #1 overall Defense in the league that year, The Pittsburgh Steelers....In his 1st Season Starting!!!!!!!... The guy is a QB and Brady's replacement after he retires... PERIOD...Until then, Tim will help the Pats Win as a situational playmaker.. Tim is the greatest teammate in the World, and will do whatever it takes to help the Pats win... Tim is nothing more or nothing less than a QB... God Bless

"Well, you know Jake, you should learn to use them. Like the way I'm talking right now, I would put an exclamation point at the end of all these sentences! On this one! And on that one!" -Elaine Benes

Well Gosh Golly Gee!!!!!! He sure is the bestest QB ever!!!!!!! Exclamation point!!!! Until Then he'll just be the superest, keenest, best darn tootin' teammate - no human - no living thing - no all knowing being - no creator and sustainer of the universe!!!!!! Puppy Dogs, Sunshine and Ice Cream!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALL HE DOES IS WIN!!!!!!!!!! 8-6 REGULAR SEASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1-1 IN THE PLAYOFFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which is better?

- the Pats keep 3 QB, including Tebow --- or:

- the Pats keep a 7th WR while both Dobson and Boyce develop (e.g., retain the best three of Jenkins/Jones/Edelman/Thompkins, etc. rather than just two of them)

- the Pats keep an additional TE while Gronk gets ready to play as a game day inactive rather than go on PUP; or, if he does go on PUP, they need to retain another TE such as Sudfeld rather than cut him

- the Pats keep another RB on the roster (both Bolden and Blount, rather than one or the other) as they shift more of their focus to the running game; this also keeps Ridley from being overused

- the Pats add a real FB (Develin, Bartholomew, Vonte Leach, etc.)

Belichick is the one who will decide this issue - and if he gives Tebow a roster spot there are going to be an awful lot of Patsfans eating crow for declaring that there is no place for Tebow on the roster.

Personally I don't overthink it. If you're going to have a 3rd string QB it's not a bad idea to have one that is versatile.

Why everyone here is convinced that's a bad idea is beyond me.

The bottom line - Belichick and McDaniels obviously believe that Tebow COULD play a productive role on this team - otherwise he wouldn't be here. That alone should stifle the rhetoric of the Tebow-haters - however they seem to be ignoring that little factoid.

"Well, you know Jake, you should learn to use them. Like the way I'm talking right now, I would put an exclamation point at the end of all these sentences! On this one! And on that one!" -Elaine Benes

Well Gosh Golly Gee!!!!!! He sure is the bestest QB ever!!!!!!! Exclamation point!!!! Until Then he'll just be the superest, keenest, best darn tootin' teammate - no human - no living thing - no all knowing being - no creator and sustainer of the universe!!!!!! Puppy Dogs, Sunshine and Ice Cream!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALL HE DOES IS WIN!!!!!!!!!! 8-6 REGULAR SEASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1-1 IN THE PLAYOFFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice try, Eternal Champion. Say Good bye to JI. :bricks: EDIT: Sorry A QB. Wrong Quote.

Blah, Blah, Blah. Says the Jest fan. :bricks:

Belichick is the one who will decide this issue - and if he gives Tebow a roster spot there are going to be an awful lot of Patsfans eating crow for declaring that there is no place for Tebow on the roster.

Personally I don't overthink it. If you're going to have a 3rd string QB it's not a bad idea to have one that is versatile.

Why everyone here is convinced that's a bad idea is beyond me.

The bottom line - Belichick and McDaniels obviously believe that Tebow COULD play a productive role on this team - otherwise he wouldn't be here. That alone should stifle the rhetoric of the Tebow-haters - however they seem to be ignoring that little factoid.

The definition of versatile is to be able of doing many things competently. Tebow's below average at the one position he has played (QB) and completely unproven at any other position.

Hate to break the news but.....Bill Belichick ad Josh McDaniels didn't bring Tim in to cut him...So Yes, he will make the 53 man roster... And you can take that to the bank... God Bless

Hate to break the news but.....Bill Belichick ad Josh McDaniels didn't bring Tim in to cut him...So Yes, he will make the 53 man roster... And you can take that to the bank... God Bless

And you will have great material to masturbate to all year.

God bless!

Is this really the "Eternal Chumpion"?

welp...things are finally starting to pick up after the Fiascandez Flareup...I expect all you new osmotic Pats fans through the Tebow membrane to take a stand against these whackjobs from J.I. As you all know, they HATE Tebow and they DOUBLE HATE the Patriots.Our advice? DON'T turn the other cheek with these cretins...they don't qualify as human.

Tebow will make injured reserve if he is lucky. Aaron Hernandez has a better shot at being found not guilty on all counts than Tebow does of making the final roster this season in my opinion. Maybe after a year on IR and some behind the scenes development he would be an adequate backup QB but not now. Not when you have Mallett.

Tebow will make injured reserve if he is lucky. Aaron Hernandez has a better shot at being found not guilty on all counts than Tebow does of making the final roster this season in my opinion. Maybe after a year on IR and some behind the scenes development he would be an adequate backup QB but not now. Not when you have Mallett.

no hyperbole there... nope

Could you please give us the full and complete list of players that "Bill Belichick and Josh McDaniels" deliberately did bring in just to cut? That would be very helpful for those of use who'd like to get a head start on figuring out the 2013-2014 roster.

Thanks.

I know I never have to give you advice Deus but in this case you are being far too rational IMO....that is, if you expect a sane response from American_Wackydoodle..

Sorry for the OT reply but just a heads up about your new "friend" american_champion from someone who witnessed this genius first hand on the ESPN Patriots board and on the other ESPN boards as well.

AC is not a Pats fan, but a Tebow cult member and a troll. In fact a race baiting narcissist troll. Has trashed Kraft and Belichick more than once. Insulted Boston. Chirped about spygate. Not surprisingly has already put the moronic idea out there of pulling Brady off the field and playing Tebow.

I don't know if links to other boards are allowed here but go check out the ESPN Pats board to see what this clown (posting under the name American Champion Redemption) is all about and the kinds of idiocy he or she plan to post here once the new poster reins are off.

That is all.

And going back on topic, no Tebow should not be used as a tight end, there's really no logical reason to think he could play the position at a serviceable level.

Sorry for the OT reply but just a heads up about your new "friend" american_champion from someone who witnessed this genius first hand on the ESPN Patriots board and on the other ESPN boards as well.

AC is not a Pats fan, but a Tebow cult member and a troll. In fact a race baiting narcissist troll. Has trashed Kraft and Belichick more than once. Insulted Boston. Chirped about spygate. Not surprisingly has already put the moronic idea out there of pulling Brady off the field and playing Tebow.

I don't know if links to other boards are allowed here but go check out the ESPN Pats board to see what this clown (posting under the name American Champion Redemption) is all about and the kinds of idiocy he or she plan to post here once the new poster reins are off.

That is all.

And going back on topic, no Tebow should not be used as a tight end, there's really no logical reason to think he could play the position at a serviceable level.
Thanks for the heads-up. I wasted about 20 minutes of my life I'll never get back last night responding to her/him on another thread. And, yeah, I picked up on the race-baiting on the other thread, as well.

I agree that Tebow is not the best option for the Pats as a TE compared to other players on the roster. He should remain the #3 QB unless he beats out Mallet for the #2 QB spot, which I don't think would happen this year.

Thanks for the heads-up. I wasted about 20 minutes of my life I'll never get back last night responding to her/him on another thread. And, yeah, I picked up on the race-baiting on the other thread, as well.

No problem. This troll bragged on the ESPN board that it was "taking my talents" here to PatsFans. And the troll also thinks it is a "journalist"...LOL.

It's funny how as soon as Tebow was signed, we had floods of posters from the ESPN Broncos and Jets boards warn us about American Champion...

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back