PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should the Pats have drafted DK Metcalf instead of N'Keal Harry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad we have another Chubb thread

I am not sure how eight games has made people hate Sony so much. The man balled out during the playoffs last year. Has a good attitude, works hard - and gets derided here like he is some JAG.

I've seen a pretty wide array of takes on the Michel/Chubb situation here, but I'm of the opinion that Michel is fine and Chubb is better. I don't hate Michel, but he seems only capable of taking what the offensive line gives him (isn't this what a JAG is for RBs?), which is not the case for Chubb. I don't particularly fault the team for making the choice they did at the time, as I remember at least being split between Michel and Chubb back then.

Sorry, the glare from the 2 fumbles that were the 14 point swing in a 14 point loss in their "Super Bowl" got caught in my eye.

2 of that 6 ypc shouldn’t count - because he fumbled.

I'm not an NFL scout and I don't watch much college football. I'm not trying to appear smart. I don't think it's unreasonable as a fan to say that I'm disappointed that the team missed on that draft pick. Since Michel and Chubb were college teammates and were drafted #31 and #35 respectively, they're always going to be linked to each other and Chubb has already emerged as the better running back.

Michel arguably was the MVP of the last superbowl. The o-line has been patchwork all season (yet, we're undefeated).

I suspect when the weather turns cold and Wynn comes back, Michel's play will improve dramatically.

FWIW, Michel and Chubb both have 6 TD's so far this year.

I've seen a pretty wide array of takes on the Michel/Chubb situation here, but I'm of the opinion that Michel is fine and Chubb is better. I don't hate Michel, but he seems only capable of taking what the offensive line gives him (isn't this what a JAG is for RBs?), which is not the case for Chubb. I don't particularly fault the team for making the choice they did at the time, as I remember at least being split between Michel and Chubb back then.

Michel has shown to have very good vision in his career. This year he has missed some of those plays he made last year but I think he will get there again.

Michel was obviously taken by the Pats because on paper he’s a better fit for the offense. Coming out of school he projected as a 3 down back who could contribute a bunch in the passing game. That hasn’t happened. I think if you went back to the draft and told Belichick he was going to be drafting a guy who doesn’t do anything but run (no contributions receiving, no special teams, limited in blitz pick up and pass blocking), he would go with another back or skip RB altogether.

Michel was the best RB in last year’s postseason and almost certainly necessary to winning it all his rookie year, but what has he done for us lately? Behind an offensive line that literally might be the worst of Brady’s career at the moment, no TE who can block or fool a defense, and no fullback.

Good for Chubb...maybe he’ll be an all-pro. Few saw that coming if it happens, though, and Michel was a good pick for the Patriots. The draft hindsight is nauseating every year, but especially when Michel went from “home run pick”to this whininess in two months with massive problems in the running game for anyone to succeed.

Last edited:
The original Metcalf/Harry question is ridiculous at this point in time. That kind of nonsense belongs at gang green or chiefsplanet. As for Michel vs Chubb, Sony's playoff performance and ring make that one moot. This is S̶p̶a̶r̶t̶a̶ New England, the ring is the thing and ends the argument

The Browns also had the "better" receivers who could score from anywhere on the field on Sunday.

Who won the game again?????

Dont forget Superbowls

NE 6 - 0

The only Chubb/Michel “situation” that exists resides in the minds of people who have proven themselves very hard to please.

Michel was obviously taken by the Pats because on paper he’s a better fit for the offense. Coming out of school he projected as a 3 down back who could contribute a bunch in the passing game. That hasn’t happened. I think if you went back to the draft and told Belichick he was going to be drafting a guy who doesn’t do anything but run (no contributions receiving, no special teams, limited in blitz pick up and pass blocking), he would go with another back or skip RB altogether.

Have they even tried to use him as a 3rd down type back though? Last year they put him in the eye. This year without the fullback he's been used a little differently but still everything between the tackles. He did have that one egregious drop on that sure TD screen pass but other than that have they even tried?

I'm not sure I agree with the notion he was projected as a 3rd down RB.

I believe he was projected as a 15-17 touch-a-game gamebreaker when in actually hes been a 20 carry-a-game plodder.

I'm not sure I agree with the notion he was projected as a 3rd down RB.

I believe he was projected as a 15-17 touch-a-game gamebreaker when in actually hes been a 20 carry-a-game plodder.

This is true. Michel was not a pass catcher at Georgia so I'm not sure where that is coming from that we envisioned another mcCaffrey

The Browns also had the "better" receivers who could score from anywhere on the field on Sunday.

Could score from anywhere on the field with a real QB and without facing the best secondary in football.

This Sony has been taking a beating this year getting pounded behind the LOS by multiple 300+ pounders on every carry... yet he pops back up and slams himself into that seeming impenetrable D wall play after.
His durability must be accounted for.
Chubbies never last

I don't think anyone here would take Cleveland's receivers over ours...

I don't think Chubb>Michel is an obvious one at all...

Sony did just great when he had a line to run behind. Hard to get many yards when you are constantly getting blown up in backfield. Look at quotes from Dante Scarnechia yesteraday (probably butchered that spelling). He singled out run-blocking as an absolute atrocity so far this year.

Andrews was a much bigger loss than people giving credit to. Newhouse is absolutely garbage, Shaq Mason has been hurt, and Cannon seems to have taken a bit of step back this year, no Develin, and no Gronk.

I don't think Chubb>Michel is an obvious one at all...

Sony did just great when he had a line to run behind. Hard to get many yards when you are constantly getting blown up in backfield. Look at quotes from Dante Scarnechia yesteraday (probably butchered that spelling). He singled out run-blocking as an absolute atrocity so far this year.

Andrews was a much bigger loss than people giving credit to. Newhouse is absolutely garbage, Shaq Mason has been hurt, and Cannon seems to have taken a bit of step back this year, no Develin, and no Gronk.
Andrews routinely gets the Sony treatment, and he was not even a first round draft pick.

Im not trying to do anything.

I have formed my opinion on these 2 Georgia RBs after both have a body of work in the NFL.

Next time you use your retrospectiscope, maybe show a little bit more respect to the “tiny” running back who played a crucial role in ring number 6? It is possible to praise Chubb without talking **** about Sony.

PS. I don’t care how big a running back is, when you are met in the offensive backfield by two and sometimes three defenders, it’s hard to gain big chunks of yards. He has certainly missed some holes early in the season but the OL needs to do a better job blocking for him for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST