PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should the Pats have drafted DK Metcalf instead of N'Keal Harry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of contested, 50/50 balls were thrown Harry's direction in college which make up 95% of his highlights from ASU. If Harry makes an impact going forward this season, it will require a lot of trust from Brady to throw those balls a couple times per game.

I saw those Highlights too I wanted A.J. Brown right off the bat if we don't have a running game a player like Harry is screwed. He has Great Size but 50/50 type balls in the Pros could end up as an int...can he gain Brady's trust?? You could plainly see Harry's lack of separation on tape but maybe Patriots Scouts were watching the catches and not the entire tape.:rolleyes:

I saw those Highlights too I wanted A.J. Brown right off the bat if we don't have a running game a player like Harry is screwed. He has Great Size but 50/50 type balls in the Pros could end up as an int...can he gain Brady's trust?? You could plainly see Harry's lack of separation on tape but maybe Patriots Scouts were watching the catches and not the entire tape.:rolleyes:
Yeah, I'm sure you were much more thorough than Bill and his staff.

Yeah, I'm sure you were much more thorough than Bill and his staff.

And yeah their success rate in picking WR's is off the charts where have I been??:confused: Seriously I want Harry to do well because he plays for the Patriots but he wouldn't have been my First Choice last Draft.

For me, at the end of the day, I could care less where we get our players from. Sure, it’s awesome to draft studs, watching them develop and wreck the league. But, it’s just as fun to send a pick to a team like the Lions for their terrible pick of that bust KVN, just to watch him come here and blossom into an important cog of a yearly contender.

At the end of the day, are we competitive? That’s all that matters. What if Harry busts & Myers becomes a star? Again, I could care less where we got ‘em.

Every fan base plays the woulda, coulda, shoulda. A lot of times, they are correct. Hindsight is a helluva gift. :D

For me, at the end of the day, I could care less where we get our players from. Sure, it’s awesome to draft studs, watching them develop and wreck the league. But, it’s just as fun to send a pick to a team like the Lions for their terrible pick of that bust KVN, just to watch him come here and blossom into an important cog of a yearly contender.

At the end of the day, are we competitive? That’s all that matters. What if Harry busts & Myers becomes a star? Again, I could care less where we got ‘em.

Every fan base plays the woulda, coulda, shoulda. A lot of times, they are correct. Hindsight is a helluva gift. :D
If you draft a 1st round guy and he turns into a stud you have 4 cheap years and a 5th relatively cheap year.

If you draft a 1st round guy and he turns into a stud you have 4 cheap years and a 5th relatively cheap year.
I think Bill has figured that out already and has a track record of doing pretty well. Same can be said for a late rd pick that is a qb converted to a WR that develops into one of the top receivers in the game. Look at M. Butler and what he did for us making nothing compared to a 1st rd pick. Look at the trajectory JC Jackson is on. You miss some, you win some. The draft is just one part of the puzzle.

Actually it was coach **** Rehbein who convinced BB to draft Brady.

Article:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...10ce94-0820-11e8-8777-2a059f168dd2_story.html

If not for this coach stepping up to bat for Brady, the Pats would have missed out on a HOF talent.

If not for Rehbein, we could have been stuck with Tim Rattay instead... *shudders*

6 Superbowl wins later, and we better be thankful everyday that the right call was made and someone was willing to speak up for a skinny, unheralded QB from Michigan.

I remember reading that fantastic article in the past. I recommend it to any fan. Rehbein knew that Brady was special.

There are actually several here who have already posted that they're out the moment BB and/or Brady leave.

Takes all kinds.....

I'm one of those kind. It's all about the way Brady was mistreated by the NYFL during defamegate. I actually thought that I'd be done by now, but Brady keeps beating the odds.

I'll still be here though. I just won't be supporting the NYFL. Unfortunately, the Patriots are a part of the NYFL. In every war there are casualties

I just assume a lot of the homerism is just a lack of knowledge about the league as a whole. More casual fans who really only watch the Patriots games and don’t pay much attention to what’s going on around the league. The fans who dismiss any small criticism with the patented “well we win Super Bowls” argument. They know year in year out the Patriots will be a top 3 if not the top overall team and they just assume since that is the case everything the team does is correct. They don’t really know or understand a lot of the rules or ins and outs of the game and just like to be apart of something that wins and is looked upon with envy from the other 31 fan bases. That being said I certainly believe you’re correct about them being bandwagoners. When BB and Brady retire they aren’t likely to keep posting here, keep watching games, and buying jerseys unless the team continues to win. When the Patriots don’t roll out of bed to a 12 win season it won’t be as easy for them to follow along and they will lose interest.
Many "fans" are bolting after B & B retire. I suspect a few here will as well but most that post regularly here truly love NEP even if that's all they watch. Family, work, life in general. It's tough if you're looking for "more" but a lot of people just don't have the time or energy to dive deeper. That's why most discussions here aren't abt C6 > C4, strength/weakness of turn/shuffle - backpedal or why you would want to press outside against C2 etc. Thats why the "rewatch" thread is just twitter clips instead of us breakdown & talking abt the game. Some enjoy having it done for them. And again theres nothing wrong w that. Just a give & take when it comes to arguably the best sports MB around. 99.9% of pats fans on Twitter are absolutely useless creatures. I'm actually embarrassed by the representatives on there. I was on a few other boards. Got semi-banned for calling a mods "nuts" for thinking Tomlin is a good coach. Again a mod in a Pats forum lol. So its nice to have a place like this. Actually great to have a place like this.

Remember it always could be worse. Imagine lying to yourself & rooting for someone else. Thinking this is the year Trubisky or Fitz turns it on.

I’ll admit, I don’t know if I’ll stay a fan when BB and Brady leave. In fact, Brady could leave as soon as next season for all we know. If Brady in some pipe dream actually does end up with the Chargers next year, it will be hard for me to not root for them since I live in LA. But I’d still root for the Pats as well for the time being.

Fun fact, I met someone from the Spanos family at a BBQ couple years ago. We were talking about football and what teams we liked. When I said “Patriots”, I got a death stare from that person but then quickly started laughing. However, the conversation ended so I knew that person deep down didn’t want to hear that. Lol.

Many "fans" are bolting after B & B retire. I suspect a few here will as well but most that post regularly here truly love NEP even if that's all they watch. Family, work, life in general. It's tough if you're looking for "more" but a lot of people just don't have the time or energy to dive deeper. That's why most discussions here aren't abt C6 > C4, strength/weakness of turn/shuffle - backpedal or why you would want to press outside against C2 etc. Thats why the "rewatch" thread is just twitter clips instead of us breakdown & talking abt the game. Some enjoy having it done for them. And again theres nothing wrong w that. Just a give & take when it comes to arguably the best sports MB around. 99.9% of pats fans on Twitter are absolutely useless creatures. I'm actually embarrassed by the representatives on there. I was on a few other boards. Got semi-banned for calling a mods "nuts" for thinking Tomlin is a good coach. Again a mod in a Pats forum lol. So its nice to have a place like this. Actually great to have a place like this.

Remember it always could be worse. Imagine lying to yourself & rooting for someone else. Thinking this is the year Trubisky or Fitz turns it on.

I’m not even really talking about the X’s and O’s as much as I am the “every player we have is the best in the league at their position” in one breath but then in the next it’s “the Patriots build a roster they don’t just collect talent”. The fact that you get “who do you root for?” remark if you dare call Cyrus Jones or Duke Dawson a bust.

It certainly isn’t the whole board/fanbase or even the majority but it’s the notion that Bill is infallible amongst some that is just irritating.

I’m not even really talking about the X’s and O’s as much as I am the “every player we have is the best in the league at their position” in one breath but then in the next it’s “the Patriots build a roster they don’t just collect talent”. The fact that you get “who do you root for?” remark if you dare call Cyrus Jones or Duke Dawson a bust.

It certainly isn’t the whole board/fanbase or even the majority but it’s the notion that Bill is infallible amongst some that is just irritating.
Trust me its frustrating. You can't have an honest discussion abt other players/teams, x & o's or certain other things.

The "6 rings", "oh you know more then Belichick" bs is incredibly boring & small minded thinking.

Again just a trade off but it gets old.

I’ll admit, I don’t know if I’ll stay a fan when BB and Brady leave.

I'm done when Belichick is done, mainly because I don't enjoy contemporary football the way the NFL presents it. I don't like the modern rule changes and I don't think a game that ends 54-51 is exciting football.

If I can survive **** MacPherson, I can handle anything.

Haven’t missed a game Since 30-17 loss to Atlanta in 95. Man our offense sucked that year. Drafting Terry Glenn next year was huge for Bledsoe

I’ll admit, I don’t know if I’ll stay a fan when BB and Brady leave. In fact, Brady could leave as soon as next season for all we know. If Brady in some pipe dream actually does end up with the Chargers next year, it will be hard for me to not root for them since I live in LA. But I’d still root for the Pats as well for the time being.

Fun fact, I met someone from the Spanos family at a BBQ couple years ago. We were talking about football and what teams we liked. When I said “Patriots”, I got a death stare from that person but then quickly started laughing. However, the conversation ended so I knew that person deep down didn’t want to hear that. Lol.

wow. Bandwagon.

And yeah their success rate in picking WR's is off the charts where have I been??:confused: Seriously I want Harry to do well because he plays for the Patriots but he wouldn't have been my First Choice last Draft.
How many first round receivers have they missed on?

wow. Bandwagon.
I was a fan before Brady and BB were there. I’ve had many posts discussing prior seasons to BB and Brady.

The real bandwagon fans are the ones watching starting with BB and Brady. If you weren’t a fan before then, that will be the real test for those fans.

Last edited:
Learned to understand football in early 80s, Pat's had some decent teams in mid 80s, lived through squish the fish, bury the bears etc...laughed through Victor Kiam, Hugh Millen, Hart Lee dykes... listened to home games on the radio as they weren't on TV....then everything changed w the #1 pick and Parcells...got seas Tix day they hired Tuna...rest as they say is history...will NEVER root for another team Pat's in my blood, passed on from my father who used to watch them practice in East Boston...was a fan before Brady and bill will be a fan after Brady and bill

The Harry injury is just really bad luck, in my opinion. If he hadn't gotten hurt, he would be producing same if not better than Metcalf.
No way. If he could not get open in college, how is he supposed to get open in the NFL? The reason he has to make those spectacular catches is that he is rarely open. Just another big, slow JAG WR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST