PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should Patriots defer if they win the toss?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guts

Akatsuki
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Hey guys want to know your take on this. If the Pats win the toss should they defer get the first possession in the second half, or get the ball first to set the tone??

Defer. Always.

No, Belichick should break with tradition and go out and have his offense impose their will upon them and chew up half of the first quarter for 7.

I have always believed in deferring but I think the style of football they are playing now changes that approach. Go out and dish out the hits early and often, on both sides of the ball, don't wait.

I'm sure Belichick has examined it closely and has the book on his side when he defers but imo this is a different game and he should throw the book out.

Yes...i always want ball to start halftime. Put the D out first..get a big stop and set the tone. If the pats don't get a stop...then i always want the ball first and change my mind

I like the idea of getting the ball in the second half. That way if you are behind you get your offense on the field right away to try and cut into the score, or if you have the lead it gives you a chance to get further separation. The best was last week, the Colts took the ball to start the game and on the first drive had a TO that became a Pats TD. I'm hoping for more of that!!

I've wanted deferral for nearly as long as I've followed the NFL. If you're ahead at the half you get a shot at padding, and if you're behind you don't have to wait your turn to start chipping away at that lead.

[Edit: what PatsFan24 said :D]

I always want to defer. Like someone else said if you are down at halftime, you come back out and cut the deficit/tie/take lead. Or if up you can increase the lead before the other team gets the ball.

The other thing about deferring on the road is that the crowd has to quiet down for the first possession. They won't be nearly as raucous as they would be if the Pats had the ball first.

The other thing about deferring on the road is that the crowd has to quiet down for the first possession. They won't be nearly as raucous as they would be if the Pats had the ball first.

This is what Bill has always said. In addition to that, when you start with the ball in the 2nd half, there are still lines at the concession stands, bathrooms, etc. There is less crowd noise to deal with.

Defer. Don't take the chance of them adjusting and losing the field position battle in the second half.

This is what Bill has always said. In addition to that, when you start with the ball in the 2nd half, there are still lines at the concession stands, bathrooms, etc. There is less crowd noise to deal with.

That is ridiculous....

Ridiculous that you thought of that!!!! :rocker: Seriously that is some deep thought....were you hanging out with Jack Handy? :D That never occurred to me yet it is so simple and true. Good job.

Yes, the Patriots should defer because I want Manning to throw a pick 6 on his first throw of Denver's first possession.

Always defer. I like getting a quick score in the last few minutes of the game and then getting the ball to start the second half.

I can see why this question was asked.

Assuming PATS defer:
If Broncos score on first drive it does put pressure on the PATS offense
to answer back and if they don't the D is under a lot of pressure to stop
the second time or else the Broncos are up by two scores.

Assuming PATS don't defer:
Assuming Broncos will score on their first possession the PATS
would have two drives to even the score or even be ahead.
( one before and one after the Broncos first drive )

----------------------------

It is nice to get the ball after half time but this is the best offense
in the league today. If Broncos get up by two scores in a game like
this the rookies are going to be feeling a lot of pressure. Not saying
PATS can't come back but it would be hard.

So in this game I would go for PATS NOT deferring if they have the call.

on this one, take the ball and go for it, throw. some bombs, get seven on the scoreboard, if there's a turnover there still plenty of time to recover.

Very few games I wouldn't defer. Only situation I would receive would be if I felt I really needed to get off to a hot start. I'd rather put the defense out there and try to get a stop. Nothing worse than behind at the half and having to kickoff.

Take the ball. Play from ahead. Make Denver one dimensional.

These games you have to play to win, and not play to not lose.

Defer.

That way Blount can start the second half with his fifth rushing TD of the game and open up a 28 point lead on the Donks.

I think Fivehead is going to cough up a hairball and the Pats are going to blow them out.

No, Belichick should break with tradition and go out and have his offense impose their will upon them and chew up half of the first quarter for 7.

I have always believed in deferring but I think the style of football they are playing now changes that approach. Go out and dish out the hits early and often, on both sides of the ball, don't wait.

I'm sure Belichick has examined it closely and has the book on his side when he defers but imo this is a different game and he should throw the book out.

What if you defer, stop them then have a long scoring drive and the ball back to start the 2nd half?
Really it comes down to scoring and stopping them more than defer or receive.

My logic for deferring, in addition to potentially having back to back scoring possessions is that now almost every drive starts in bad field position at the 20. And 80 yard drive out of the gate is not easy, and if you get a stop you probably start with good field position. Conversely drive one of the 2nd half should be after having seen their game plan and making adjustments so the chance at an 80 yard drive is greater.

There may not be a kickoff returned in this game, and that counts in the strategizing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes