PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shock night might not be over: Butler rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.

long distance

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Jason La Canfora continues to hear that the Patriots are open to trading CB Malcolm Butler ahead of tomorrow’s deadline. La Canfora adds that the Patriots could attempt to paid Butler and the 2018 second-round pick they’ve acquired from the 49ers in return for a quality player.

Last edited:
Jason La Canfora continues to hear that the Patriots are open to trading CB Malcolm Butler ahead of tomorrow’s deadline. La Canfora adds that the Patriots could attempt to paid Butler and the 2018 second-round pick they’ve acquired from the 49ers in return for a quality player.

I am just hoping it's a rumor. I don't wanna mess with the secondary.

6-2 at the bye and feeling like sellers at the deadline. I would say no way this is true but with this team anything’s possible.

Trade:
Malcom Butler (Our most important active defensive player)
Jimmy G (Projected to net us one if not 2 first round picks in the offseason)

Recieve
"A quality player"

giphy.gif

No thanks. Keep him and just trade picks for players.

This seems highly plausible so I'm gonna say that it won't happen. :D

Butler is such a smart CB. Him trying to ouch the ball out of Gordon's hands was just like, a great display of on the spot thinking.

He immediately knew the ASJ ruling was a fumble.

His persistence to play till the last absolute microsecond is great. One of my favorite plays of all time is his follow through on OBJ endzone catch.

I want him to stay so bad. I love Butler.

I love Butler too but they paid Gilmore a zillion dollars and really like Rowe and Jonathan Jones.

It would have to be a really good player. And even still you'd be doubling down on Gilmore.

If there is any truth to this (I doubt it) it better be for an established defensive playmaker.
The only way this would seemingly hold validity is if Gilmore's concussion is fine and BB/MP feel he is ready to be that solidly legit CB + JBad has shown enough that they feel confident he is a player they can rely on + Rowe is healthy/ready to return (and BB/MP feel like this guy is ready to be a decent corner). That's A LOT of ifs.

With that said, when BB doesn't intend on trying to re-sign a player like Butler, I wouldn't put it past BB to try and get value. But all the ifs make trading Butler SERIOUSLY risky.
IMHO a playmaker is just what this D needs. If High had stayed healthy we had it. Since he's gone I'd be ecstatic if we could get a new playmaker. Since I don't see that happening it is too risky to trade Butler for 2018 value when 2017 is another viable SB year (especially with no team establishing themselves as a dominant-high mountain that will be tough to beat [a la Bears 85, Rams 2001, Seahawks 2012 etc etc ).

They could also keep and franchise Butler for all we know.

What playmakers are available?
Ziggy Ansah?
Nate Orchard is a sleeper I liked him.
I really liked Bud Dupree wish we drafted him but of course the Steelers scouting department is light years ahead of ours.
Any other difference makers out there.

Seems like a foolish move, unless it's for another CB (and I'm not sure that would go down well in the locker room). Rowe and Gilmore are injury players, and are currently recovering from injury. It would seem a poor gamble to remove Butler under those circumstances.

Last edited:
Jimmy G (Projected to net us one if not 2 first round picks in the offseason)
How many times has any NFL player commanded multiple first round picks in trade value (let alone a backup QB), and when was the last time that it happened? Just curious as to where some of these ideas come from.

Sorry but trading Butler mid season would be a flat out mistake. Unless you are getting a first rounder or another great player at a major need, don't even consider it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back