PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shanahan on Watson's tackle of Bailey

Status
Not open for further replies.
GoWesleyan said:
"That's great but not surprising - what's he going to say?"

FWIW:
I would expect him to say something like: "That was a great play he made"

That sort of comment would have been sufficient and would not have been noteworthy.

There is a big difference between that and this:
"I think that it’s probably the best play that I’ve ever seen since I’ve been in the National Football League"

I thought the second statement was noteworthy.

If you don't see the difference, then nevermind.

My point is that Shanahan, like BB, goes out of his way to butter up a team before he plays them...

Surely you've noticed how BB makes similar comments about other team players just before he plays them?

Reporters have often joked about how BB will go on an on about an opposing team player being the best thing since sliced bread leading up to a game... doesn't matter how good or bad the team is either.

Shanahan and he are cut from the same cloth in that regard.

If you don't see the difference, then nevermind.

JoeSix is right... you point out all the good things the other team does/has done, even if their play has been inconsistent, and two things happen:

- your own team (when it works) takes every opponent seriously, and
- you're ready for the specific talents a team does show.

Point to a decent play David Carr has made, point to Andre Johnson's prowess, say a few words about DeMeco Ryans on a specific play or two, and all of a sudden you can say "...the Texans have some real talent..." etc. You're also focused in on the known nastiness of the other team, and the local media don't try to pry a gloating attitude out of you.

PFnV

PatsFanInVa said:
JoeSix is right... you point out all the good things the other team does/has done, even if their play has been inconsistent, and two things happen:

- your own team (when it works) takes every opponent seriously, and
- you're ready for the specific talents a team does show.

Point to a decent play David Carr has made, point to Andre Johnson's prowess, say a few words about DeMeco Ryans on a specific play or two, and all of a sudden you can say "...the Texans have some real talent..." etc. You're also focused in on the known nastiness of the other team, and the local media don't try to pry a gloating attitude out of you.

PFnV

Right - its the running joke among those who cover BB and know his style... "watch out for flying hyperbole!"

I doubt he'll go so far as saying he's the greatest player ever, but listen to him before we play a team like the Lions and you'd think Jon Kitna is the second coming of Bart Starr.

I know the phenomenon you're talking about, but i don't think that's what we are seeing here.

I don't think this was a statement with an agenda or that Shanahan was trying to make Ben Watson sound like an unstoppable force. I think he was genuinely impressed by the play and said so.

GoWesleyan said:
I know the phenomenon you're talking about, but i don't think that's what we are seeing here.

I don't think this was a statement with an agenda or that Shanahan was trying to make Ben Watson sound like an unstoppable force. I think he was genuinely impressed by the play and said so.

...and just so happens to decide to share his insight and appreciation 9 months after it happened and - Mon Dieu! Quel coincidence - a few days before the teams are going to play again.

Last edited:
I still can't believe how much Bailey looked like a rad doll when Ben hit him. He goes all limp and lifeless for a second.

zippo59 said:
I still can't believe how much Bailey looked like a rad doll when Ben hit him. He goes all limp and lifeless for a second.

that's true. i really loved it !

ok...pity that we lost (another reason to give tomorrow the due pay-back...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back