PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shanahan on Watson's tackle of Bailey

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoWesleyan

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
From his Conference Call 9/20 on Patriots.com

"... where do you rank Ben Watson’s play in the playoffs last season when he tracked down Champ Bailey?"

"MS: I think that it’s probably the best play that I’ve ever seen since I’ve been in the National Football League. That type of effort, where he was, the magnitude of the game, that position at that time. For years to come that will be something that I will always point out, a guy not giving up. It could have been the difference in the game. "

http://www.patriots.com/mediacenter/index.cfm?ac=audionewsdetail&pid=21260&pcid=85

I think it's interesting how Watson's efforts on that play will leave longer lasting memories for people than Bailey's... That play really was an emblem - the epitome of effort.

GoWesleyan said:
From his Conference Call 9/20 on Patriots.com

"... where do you rank Ben Watson’s play in the playoffs last season when he tracked down Champ Bailey?"

"MS: I think that it’s probably the best play that I’ve ever seen since I’ve been in the National Football League. That type of effort, where he was, the magnitude of the game, that position at that time. For years to come that will be something that I will always point out, a guy not giving up. It could have been the difference in the game. "

http://www.patriots.com/mediacenter/index.cfm?ac=audionewsdetail&pid=21260&pcid=85

I think it's interesting how Watson's efforts on that play will leave longer lasting memories for people than Bailey's... That play really was an emblem - the epitome of effort.

watson has the will to win

Imagine what we could pry from the Broncos if Shanahan wanted to trade for both Maroney and Watson. If Ricky Williams is worth a draft, then these two guys are worth two.

Seymour93 said:
Imagine what we could pry from the Broncos if Shanahan wanted to trade for both Maroney and Watson. If Ricky Williams is worth a draft, then these two guys are worth two.

And imagine all the picks we could get for Maroney, Watson and Brady!

Wait, why are we imagining this?

Back on topic...Watson's play was unquestionably one of the finest I've ever seen. But I still feel a little queasy thinking about it, given that the turnover wasn't awarded. Mustn't dwell, mustn't dwell...

Another reason I love the Patriots..

Seymour93 said:

I hope that you're joking. Two birds in hand is way better than a dozen in the bush.

VJCPatriot said:
I hope that you're joking. Two birds in hand is way better than a dozen in the bush.

Why not? We have Patrick Pass coming back to take Maroney's spot, and Reche Caldwell to pick up where Watson left off. :D

Shannahan is a great coach. Big Ben made a crazy play...99 yards diagnoly to catch up to one of the fastest CB's in the league.

I still don't think of that play as one of the greatest ever. I do see how awesome it was when I try to look at it in a bubble. But in the context of what actually happened the play was wrapped in a loss, and was also a play that resulted in a one yard TD run. I understand that it was a controversial call, but still, it is what it is. Great effort by Ben though. I wish the game had come out different, then I'm sure the memory of that play would feel different to me.

It was a great effort, but not a great play, because it wasn't called the way it had to be to be a great play (although I think the officials were WRONG, as they were for most of that game).

I wonder if there's a video of it out there somewhere...

GoWesleyan said:

You PATSFANS crack me up- epitome of effort was 2 FUMBLES, 1 MUFFED PUNT and 2 INTERCEPTIONS in our last meeting. You guys REALLY stank it up. And we kicked you all over the field during the previous game too. Wow. CHAMP BAILEY is the HIGHLIGHT. Brady is 1-4 vs the Broncos.

SEE YOU ON SUNDAY ! GO BRONCS!!

JakeGirl said:
You PATSFANS crack me up- epitome of effort was 2 FUMBLES, 1 MUFFED PUNT and 2 INTERCEPTIONS in our last meeting. You guys REALLY stank it up. And we kicked you all over the field during the previous game too. Wow. CHAMP BAILEY is the HIGHLIGHT. Brady is 1-4 vs the Broncos.

SEE YOU ON SUNDAY ! GO BRONCS!!

:rolleyes:

No one ever said that Broncos fans were actually intelligent enough to parse a sentence. . . .

That's great but not surprising - what's he going to say?

Give the Patriots more billboard material by dissing us about a game that we just about gave away with our poor quality of play?

And I'm not even going to go down the road of whether the officials were right or wrong.

We lost the game, plain and simple... if the shoe were on the other foot BB would be hapilly waxing poetic about a quality Denver play, more than happy to butter up the opposition as long as his team had more points in the end.

"That's great but not surprising - what's he going to say?"

FWIW:
I would expect him to say something like: "That was a great play he made"

That sort of comment would have been sufficient and would not have been noteworthy.

There is a big difference between that and this:
"I think that it’s probably the best play that I’ve ever seen since I’ve been in the National Football League"

I thought the second statement was noteworthy.

If you don't see the difference, then nevermind.

There was a picture in Sports Illustrated that showed the moment when Bailey intecepted the pass. Not only is Watson about 5 yards behind him, but he is on the complete other side of the field!

Ina game when about half a dozen things went wrong, the effort by Watson is still the play that people talk about.

i am with Shanahan

also imho it was, if not the best, one of the best plays i have ever seen

i was very disappointed for the loss we suffered but , in a way, 'that' play helped me a lot and i found a way to realize why i was proud the be a Patriots fan

Ben Watson made an effort that i will never forget

compliments, so, to Shanahan for having said that

italianpatthepatriot said:
i am with Shanahan

also imho it was, if not the best, one of the best plays i have ever seen

i was very disappointed for the loss we suffered but , in a way, 'that' play helped me a lot and i found a way to realize why i was proud the be a Patriots fan

Ben Watson made an effort that i will never forget

compliments, so, to Shanahan for having said that

Agreed. I'm a Ben Watson fan for life because of that play. It didn't prevent the imminent touchdown that followed but it stopped one there and had it been called right (touchback), may have changed history. That's one of those plays that the Patriots usually benefit from. They didn't get to this time, but I loved Watson's effort.

He made Champ Bailey his b!tch there and here's hoping he can do that again this Sunday but on offense catching balls and scoring touchdowns.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye