PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Setting Stidham up for Success

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has a lot to prove

To who ? You ?

I am sorry to tell you but his story as a coach is mostly already written. We are in footnotes territory now.

The same is true for Brady as well. Nothing that will happen in Tampa will have any impact on how people will view or talk about him in the future.

If either of them makes or wins another SB it is like the final 5% of their story and not something earthshattering.

To who ? You ?

I am sorry to tell you but his story as a coach is mostly already written. We are in footnotes territory now.

The same is true for Brady as well. Nothing that will happen in Tampa will have any impact on how people will view or talk about him in the future.

If either of them makes or wins another SB it is like the final 5% of their story and not something earthshattering.
Sure but I don’t care about legacy. How Belichick is remembered has no impact on my enjoyment of the team going forward. I don’t want him to be one of those guys who is successful with only one guy, and if that’s the case I’d rather find out soon so we can find out who will be successful with the next guy. I want to watch the team win. This league is about what have you done with me lately.

COMPARING THE NUMBERS: Statistically speaking, what does Jarrett Stidham have to do to be considered successful in his first year as the Patriots starter

"Brady’s 2001 season is an interesting case study. He didn’t pass for 3,000 yards (2,843), or throw for 20 touchdowns (18) or have a quarterback rating over 90 (86.5). But he did win a Super Bowl. Brees also had a mediocre second NFL season. He threw for 3,284 yards to go with 17 touchdowns and 16 interceptions with a 76.9 quarterback rating."

Stidham and Andrews and their SO's are out to dinner, per Instagram. This isn't the first time they've posted something together, so at very least our QB/C are buddies and hopefully this translates to good on the field chemistry.

Stidham and Andrews and their SO's are out to dinner, per Instagram. This isn't the first time they've posted something together, so at very least our QB/C are buddies and hopefully this translates to good on the field chemistry.
I saw this and got excited as well. Also bc there's a small chance we get ... Wynn-Thuney-Andrews-Mason-Cannon ... Which is the best news any young QB could ask for coming in here. Lots of experience and talent on that OL if healthy. Really hoping that's the case.

I saw this and got excited as well. Also bc there's a small chance we get ... Wynn-Thuney-Andrews-Mason-Cannon ... Which is the best news any young QB could ask for coming in here. Lots of experience and talent on that OL if healthy. Really hoping that's the case.
I hope so too...but Cannon looks finished...Newhouse performed better than he did at RT...He & Mason were Sieves last year; but at least Mason is young enough for a bounce-back...

COMPARING THE NUMBERS: Statistically speaking, what does Jarrett Stidham have to do to be considered successful in his first year as the Patriots starter

"Brady’s 2001 season is an interesting case study. He didn’t pass for 3,000 yards (2,843), or throw for 20 touchdowns (18) or have a quarterback rating over 90 (86.5). But he did win a Super Bowl. Brees also had a mediocre second NFL season. He threw for 3,284 yards to go with 17 touchdowns and 16 interceptions with a 76.9 quarterback rating."

Anything more than 12int's by Stidham then he's not the guy and we should find someone else. Taking care of the ball is the #1 thing. And anything over 18 TDs would be nice.

Brady player 2 less games than a full season. Had he started day 1 he likely gets 20TD’s and breaks 3000

I hope so too...but Cannon looks finished...Newhouse performed better than he did at RT...He & Mason were Sieves last year; but at least Mason is young enough for a bounce-back...
Yea I'm not too worried about Mason just yet. Cannon is what he is but we've seen what he can do when healthy. I'm hoping that's the case for all our guys. Unleash Harris, Sony & White. See what happens with the rest of the bunch. But those 3 should be good enough.

I'm a lot higher on Harry than most too. I think he's a good player. Won't be a real WR1, at least not any time soon but I think he's a player if used right.

Yea I'm not too worried about Mason just yet. Cannon is what he is but we've seen what he can do when healthy. I'm hoping that's the case for all our guys. Unleash Harris, Sony & White. See what happens with the rest of the bunch. But those 3 should be good enough.

I'm a lot higher on Harry than most too. I think he's a good player. Won't be a real WR1, at least not any time soon but I think he's a player if used right.
And a healthy Sanu and a fired up Edelman ( is there any other kind) out to prove he isn't just a product of Brady throwing to him. Sanu gutted out last season on a bum ankle and if the three of them perform the way a #1,#2 and a #3 should with a hopefully healthy OL and a solid running game and Stidham won't be asked to do too much and he will potentially be set up for success....
I'm not saying it is "plug and play" and there is the obvious huge drop off from the GOAT but change happens and good coaches adapt as BB did in 2001 and 2008 and 2016. This is McDaniels' year to shine with creative play calling, a higher percentage of run:ratio and anything to lighten the load on a QB starting his first season compared to a guy starting his 20th...

Film Review: Jarrett Stidham, Jedd Fisch, and the Shanahan Influence in New England | CLNS Media

"Along with Fisch’s presence on the staff, Stidham worked successfully in Kyle Shanahan’s scheme, who was his coach in Mobile, at the Senior Bowl before the 2019 NFL Draft and raved about his fit in the offense.

Quarterback guru Mark Schofield of USA Today said after spending the week down in Mobile with Stidham that, “when I got a chance to talk to him, I asked him what his favorite offense was, in the ones he’d run, and he said, ‘everything this week.’”

Stidham felt at home in Shanahan’s system after spending his collegiate career in Gus Malzahn (Auburn) and Art Briles’s (Baylor) unique spread offenses with a heavy focus option concepts (RPOs) and vertical passing.

Stidham was Offensive Practice Player of the Week at the Senior Bowl after a stellar week in a pro-style offense, and with the addition of Fisch, many believe the Pats will adopt schemes from the Shanahan tree this season."

And a healthy Sanu and a fired up Edelman ( is there any other kind) out to prove he isn't just a product of Brady throwing to him. Sanu gutted out last season on a bum ankle and if the three of them perform the way a #1,#2 and a #3 should with a hopefully healthy OL and a solid running game and Stidham won't be asked to do too much and he will potentially be set up for success....
I'm not saying it is "plug and play" and there is the obvious huge drop off from the GOAT but change happens and good coaches adapt as BB did in 2001 and 2008 and 2016. This is McDaniels' year to shine with creative play calling, a higher percentage of run:ratio and anything to lighten the load on a QB starting his first season compared to a guy starting his 20th...
I'm excited for different reasons. One is Jules. I think he has as good a year as ever.
Stid is another. Him being successful, legit franchise QB would be something. I'm here for the ride and think he has a decent to small chance making it here.

Sanu is another.

Bill has no shortage of ammo for this year. I'm thinking the defense doesn't miss a beat and will be top 5-10.

Based on what?
If you mean offensive ammo, then I'm not seeing it...
If Jules plays his usual 13-16 games he's going to see 145-155 targets, maybe more. He's our best offensive weapon and probably our most versatile. Bill's going to feed him. No reason he won't go for 900+ / 5-8 TDs.

Ammo in this case meaning fuel for Bill to motivate his players.

If Jules plays his usual 13-16 games he's going to see 145-155 targets, maybe more. He's our best offensive weapon and probably our most versatile. Bill's going to feed him. No reason he won't go for 900+ / 5-8 TDs.

Ammo in this case meaning fuel for Bill to motivate his players.
I think Edelman starts showing his age this season...He looked old, worn-out & beat-up by the end of the PO loss; I expect that trend to continue...

I think Edelman starts showing his age this season...He looked old, worn-out & beat-up by the end of the PO loss; I expect that trend to continue...
I think he looked like he was worn down by the locker room drama with his BFF and the GOAT starting to fray was showing. Now he’s had a great chance to rest and rejuvenate during the quarantine and he’s motivated to show his stuff is him not just having TB12 throwing him open. So I expect the trend to be other than you expect...

Film Review: Jarrett Stidham, Jedd Fisch, and the Shanahan Influence in New England | CLNS Media

"Along with Fisch’s presence on the staff, Stidham worked successfully in Kyle Shanahan’s scheme, who was his coach in Mobile, at the Senior Bowl before the 2019 NFL Draft and raved about his fit in the offense.

Quarterback guru Mark Schofield of USA Today said after spending the week down in Mobile with Stidham that, “when I got a chance to talk to him, I asked him what his favorite offense was, in the ones he’d run, and he said, ‘everything this week.’”

Stidham felt at home in Shanahan’s system after spending his collegiate career in Gus Malzahn (Auburn) and Art Briles’s (Baylor) unique spread offenses with a heavy focus option concepts (RPOs) and vertical passing.

Stidham was Offensive Practice Player of the Week at the Senior Bowl after a stellar week in a pro-style offense, and with the addition of Fisch, many believe the Pats will adopt schemes from the Shanahan tree this season."

That is a wonderful article! Thank you for posting it.

Evan Lazar is modern football journalism at its best.

:thaman::thaman::thaman:

Not as much as the 43 year old QB will likely
show his age this season, if there is one. I think any MVP talk will die out for good after week 3. I mean the guy did have an 88 passer rating last year, 79 against good teams, threw a game losing pick 6 in the playoff loss and yes it was on him, had maybe 3? good games out of 17 in 2029 and most importantly is 43. No reason to think better days are ahead when they’re clearly in the rear view mirror.

As for Edelman unlike the previous QB Stid has no binkies. Edelman will not be worn down by so much attention coming his way. His best days too are behind him but I expect he will be productive.

Last edited:
Deleted post for new thread

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey