OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Would you trade for Trey Lance?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's interesting how people are saying there's no more excuses for Mac Jones at this point? Why? O'Brien isn't exactly an offensive savant, the OL is average at best and the skill players the Pats have aren't good enough. You've seen what Mac has done with some actually talent on the offensive of the ball, but he doesn't have that in NE.

Like 2022, Mac will be the scapegoat if they are under .500 and miss the playoffs.

Mac is in year 3 with a legitimate offensive coordinator and an average offensive cast. He needs to produce to the expected standard for that situation in order to prove he's worth the 5th year option

I was just thinking about that after reading an article where it suggested Mac may struggle because “he has no elite weapons”.

I mean…other than the peak Moss years, did TB really ever have elite weapons?

I know the bar is unfair, and you can’t compare anyone to peak Brady BUT I do feel like a quality NFL QB starter shouldn’t need elite weapons to win.

He needs to elevate average ones.

I guess we’ll see.

I have some doubts, but truly hope I’m dead wrong because starting over at QB isn’t a good thing.

i think Brady helped elevate a few players from "Good" to "Elite" like Deion Branch and Troy Brown

but yea, outside of Welker, Moss and Edelman, Brady never had an "elite" WR

and Edelman/Welker were possession/slot receivers

Obrien did pretty well the first time, and his Hou offenses weren’t putrid either.

OL is def an issue, but Mahomes did pretty well for a few years with a TERRIBLE O line.

What I’m saying is that if the expectation is game manager, I’m out on that.

I want a guy who can put the team on his back and win.

If Mac is that….awesome!

If not, move on and find a guy who can.

I agree

I don't think Mac is a "game manager", i think that is what people expected him to be EARLY in his NFL career coming out of college, which is what helped elevate his draft position etc

i think he was a good "game manager" fresh out of the draft, where you could plug him into a complete team where he could manage games and compete, and he would do well

as he develops tho, I could see Mac becoming the same type of "Game Manager" as Brees, Brady, Cousins, Burrow, etc

people love to throw labels around and package people into nice, neat little boxes, but thats not how life or the NFL works

i think Brady helped elevate a few players from "Good" to "Elite" like Deion Branch and Troy Brown

but yea, outside of Welker, Moss and Edelman, Brady never had an "elite" WR

and Edelman/Welker were possession/slot receivers
And six Lombardi trophies say elite WRs are not necessary to win it all, possession/slot receivers will suffice.

Remember, Moss didn’t get to hoist a Lombardi. Deion Branch, Troy Brown, David Patten were good enough, cripes even Jabar Gaffney was. But everybody wants that elite WR or we‘re doomed.

And six Lombardi trophies say elite WRs are not necessary to win it all, possession/slot receivers will suffice.

Remember, Moss didn’t get to hoist a Lombardi. Deion Branch, Troy Brown, David Patten were good enough, cripes even Jabar Gaffney was. But everybody wants that elite WR or we‘re doomed.

i dont think an elite WR is the be all end all, but i also wont buy into the opposite end of the spectrum where some think that a top elite WR1 is like some sort of curse or abomination to the game of football

If you can draft one, you're golden for 4-5 years... they help elevate an offense, there is no debate about that

I wouldn't even take Trey Lance over Tyler Huntley. Not even over Zach Wilson.

Wilson followed by Lance would surely, have to be two of the biggest consecutive top 3 pick QB busts in NFL history?

Mac may not end up being a world beater but he's easily, second behind Lawrence, third if you're a Fields fan.

wow, a 4th Ed pick for the third pick in the draft

Well…I voted no. But for a 4th round pick now? Lol

Nitro Circus Jump GIF by EchoBoom Sports

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back