Sebastian Vollmer on the first FG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sciz

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
2qwmzvd.jpg

As you can see there and probably noticed during the game, Vollmer was out wide to the left on the first field goal, and he sort of ran some kind of route. It was 4th and 13, so they definitely weren't passing to him. Are they setting up for a fake sometime later, or is Belichick just screwing with us?

Could have been checking to see if he went uncovered ala Adam V. to Troy Brown resulting in the Martz embarrassed penguin face.

Last edited:
Maybe it's to take one guy out from the FG block. Do they have confidence in Mesko or Gostkowski can throw the ball and Vollmer can catch it if they were to fake the kick?

Could have checking to see if he went uncovered ala Adam V. to Troy Brown resulting in the Martz embarrassed penguin face.

I was just thinking about that play but why use Vollmer?

Last edited:
Maybe it's to take one guy out from the FG block. Do they have confidence in Mesko or Gostkowski can throw the ball and Vollmer can catch it if they were to fake the kick?
That's another thing. I was under the impression that Solder was the receiving tackle on the team, as ridiculous as that sounds.

2qwmzvd.jpg

As you can see there and probably noticed during the game, Vollmer was out wide to the left on the first field goal, and he sort of ran some kind of route. It was 4th and 13, so they definitely weren't passing to him. Are they setting up for a fake sometime later, or is Belichick just screwing with us?

Injury sub for Gronk? Vollmer was a TE when he started at Houston, right?

Last edited:

I don't know, but Vrabel had to catch his first TD at one point. That big German would be a pant load to bring down. We'd be laughing our asses off. (in a good way)

I remember in Football Life on Belichick. He caught a punt giving the boys a practice off. Mad skillz! As the kids say.

Because he is a giant. At six-foot 10 he should be able to out jump everyone.

this thread just proves how crappy tv commentators are. They didn't say anything about this. How could the spotter working for Sims miss this?

i actually did NOT notice this...

a reason Vollmer is used is b/c if a D player sees him go towards sideline he will automatically assume he was going out, no need to worry about it as a catcher....i think BB didnt have any intention of throwing him the ball (unless left wide open i guess) but was testing out defenses reaction

Wouldn't he have to report as an eligible receiver?

Or is there a different rule for (fake)FGs?

Because he's not allowed to sign any more TE's and half a dozen aren't enough.

Probably to see if the defense reacts and if not call a fake next time if need be.

Could have been checking to see if he went uncovered ala Adam V. to Troy Brown resulting in the Martz embarrassed penguin face.

This. Smart move trying to catch the Texans off guard.

Vollmer's proximity to the field creates a parallel connection between Mesko and the ball simulating a smoother contact surface for Gostowski. Now Belichick is going to have to do it for the rest of the playoffs.

this thread just proves how crappy tv commentators are. They didn't say anything about this. How could the spotter working for Sims miss this?

They did spot this. Jim Nantz mentioned that he saw him out there and thought that the pats had ideas on a bit of "trickery".

1) Texans don't see him (somehow) and Mesko throws him a pass for a 1st down

2) Texans see him late, panic and waste a timeout

3) Texans cover him and Pats kick a FG

Don't see the downside. Likely hoping for option #2 which is why you have to spring this formation out of nowhere and you can only do it once.

1) Texans don't see him (somehow) and Mesko throws him a pass for a 1st down

2) Texans see him late, panic and waste a timeout

3) Texans cover him and Pats kick a FG

Don't see the downside. Likely hoping for option #2 which is why you have to spring this formation out of nowhere and you can only do it once.

cool story, bro...one thing though...Mesko is NOT the kicker, Gost is...small , rather minute point..but valid nonetheless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots