PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sebastian Vollmer on the first FG

Status
Not open for further replies.
The words "Vollmer" and "unnoticed" don't seem to go together naturally.

:rolleyes:
But "Wilfork," "hold," and "unnoticed" sure do. We just have to hope the opposing defenders are as blind as the refs!

Volmer and Solder

Key guys as usual this week but check out the size of Volmer standing next to Mankins at just under 60 seconds of the clip
Patriots Today - Inside the winning locker room

Albeit, Volmer is slightly closer to the camera and still has his pads on but he towers over Mankins who is a monster in his own right.
And that must be Nate right next to Volmer.

So 4th and 3 on your own 20 go for it

but

4th and 3 on your own 30 don't go for it?

Interesting.

I wouldn't take the details too seriously. E.g., figures right near the opponent's goal line make no sense.

Wouldn't he have to report as an eligible receiver?

Or is there a different rule for (fake)FGs?

Interesting -- 44 posts and only one of you nailed the relevant question and nobody answered it. Vollmer wears an ineligible number. So, even if lined up in a receiver-eligible position as he is here, he is not eligible unless he reports, which tends to take away the element of surprise on a FG try.

If you want to run a trick play where you send someone out wide in a receiver position and hope the other team doesn't notice, you gotta use someone with a 1-49 or 70-99 number.

Re: Volmer and Solder

Key guys as usual this week but check out the size of Volmer standing next to Mankins at just under 60 seconds of the clip
Patriots Today - Inside the winning locker room

Albeit, Volmer is slightly closer to the camera and still has his pads on but he towers over Mankins who is a monster in his own right.
And that must be Nate right next to Volmer.

Wow, unless he has cleats on and mankins does not he is around 6'10

Re: Volmer and Solder

Wow, unless he has cleats on and mankins does not he is around 6'10
Vollmer is 6 feet, 7 and 5/8 inches tall, without shoes

Do you have to report eligible to just catch or to run a route? If you send a guy out and the defense isn't paying attention and tries to cover him that's their fault

They're just putting it on film so future teams have something else to think about.

It's like playing poker. You don't want to make it obvious if you decide to call a fake in the future, so you call a bunch of fake-fakes so that the formation doesn't give the play away.

Plus if they don't cover him, you can obviously get a big play or force the opponent to take a timeout.

Last edited:
Do you have to report eligible to just catch or to run a route? If you send a guy out and the defense isn't paying attention and tries to cover him that's their fault

A player with a lineman's number has to report eligible to catch a forward pass or advance downfield before a pass is thrown.

Can you guys refresh my memory? On the fake FG against the Rams, did Troy Brown begin to run off the field pretending like he was a 12th man by accident - how did they lose track of him?

You're not allowed to go downfield (which I believe is defined as 2 or 3 yards past the line of scrimmage) if a pass is thrown on the play. So running a route essentially means that a pass can't be thrown (without a flag also being thrown).

Obviously you also can't catch a pass unless you are an eligible receiver (unless someone else touches it first).

FG Formation - Solder

Did a search for "Solder Field Goal" and didn't see any threads or comments, but did anyone notice Solder splitting out wide in the Divisional game? It was briefly shown and mentioned by Nantz. I think this was for the second quarter field goal to make it a Patriots 10-3 game. I may be wrong here with the timing.

I think this brings up an interesting Chip Kelly connection and area to possibly exploit in the next game--or two, hopefully.

Kelly--and Urban Meyer--often line their conversion units up in what's essentially an A-11 formation or "swinging gate." If the defense has an appropriate call, they'll all reset into a normal kicking formation and kick the ball. If the D looks confused, they snap and usually get a one on one situation where they usually convert for two relatively easily.

oregon-two-point-conversion-390x292.jpg

I know many CFB fans are keenly aware of this, but it is something that hasn't arrived to the NFL yet. Could we see it this weekend? If not for a XP conversation, it seemed that Belichick is willing to do it in a 4th and medium scenario from around 35 yards out for Gostkowski. The Patriots just split out Solder. As he started out at TE at CU, he's obviously somewhat experienced in catching the football. At 6-8, he could get a < 5'10" CB from the D's FG unit on him create more than a foot advantage when you factor in arm length. A lollipop out to him could be successful or draw a flag.

As for its advantage, I'm unsure. I wonder what others think. If it can help convert a key 4th down, I'm in favor of it. Kelly would often do it in the first quarter. I suppose his thinking it that an 8-0 lead early creates confusion for the opponent--forcing them into bad, panicked decisions. I also assume that they've practiced this well enough where Belichick thinks they could execute in a game at a solid success rate. So if you can convert more of these than you fail, it's another edge in a time of the year where every team is obviously very good.

Last edited:
Re: FG Formation - Solder

Did a search for "Solder Field Goal" and didn't see any threads or comments, but did anyone notice Solder splitting out wide in the Divisional game? It was briefly shown and mentioned by Nantz. I think this was for the second quarter field goal to make it a Patriots 10-3 game. I may be wrong here with the timing.

That was Vollmer, not Solder. ;)

Re: FG Formation - Solder

As stated, it was Vollmer and there's a thread on it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes