PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Pats Franchise Samuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody know if this is an exclusive or nonexclusive tag? It makes a big difference.

But what do you do next February?

Send Asante a special edition DVD of Three Games to Glory IV complete with parade footage so he can watch it from wherever he played in 2007-08. I can't see him playing for the tag or them paying him the tag. I think he's dealt before the draft, Briggs too.

Does anybody know if this is an exclusive or nonexclusive tag? It makes a big difference.

The rumor just came out about 6 minutes ago. We dont have anything other than who said it and who the player is.

It only makes a difference if you think a team is stoopid enough to give up two first rounders to sign him. I'll drive Asante to the airport myself if that's the case.

The rumor just came out about 6 minutes ago. We dont have anything other than who said it and who the player is.

Ok thanks. I am doing my best to find which one it is. It would be just like BB not to tell anyone but the league and other trade offers.

If this is correct, it is a good move. They cant let what happened to Branch happen with Samuels.

It only makes a difference if you think a team is stoopid enough to give up two first rounders to sign him. I'll drive Asante to the airport myself if that's the case.

That is not true at all. There are great differences in the two. Please read before you post.

DaBruinz was right the other night, Digger. The exclusive is almost never used because nobody other than a bonafide franchise QB is going to garner the 2 firsts anyway so no need to commit to pay more than you need to.

DaBruinz was right the other night, Digger. The exclusive is almost never used because nobody other than a bonafide franchise QB is going to garner the 2 firsts anyway so no need to commit to pay more than you need to.

I think most people knew that. Other than Tom Brady, LT, and Peyton I don't think anyone would use the exclusive.

WoW

Good news from Boston!!!

Confirmed by Reiss:

February 16, 2007
Samuel tagged
The Patriots informed cornerback Asante Samuel today that they are placing the franchise tag on him. Adam Schefter first reported the news on the NFL Network.

The news was confirmed tonight by Samuel's agent, Alonzo Shavers.

We'll have more later tonight.

did I beat Pats1 to posting it???????????

Last edited:
But what do you do next February?

Who cares about next February? Tagging Samuel gives us more leverage for THIS season. Don't like it, seek a trade. If we're unsatisfied with the trade offer then we've retained a #1 CB who's going into a contract year. Win-win.

The question here is what will do the trick regarding trade bait? A 1st rounder for next year definitely, although I doubt we'd get that from anyone. I'll settle for a second and fourth.

What's that mean for his $$? What's the tag worth?

I think everyone pretty much knew that Samuel would be franchised. The key now is either signing him to a long-term contract or trading him for a 1st.

I think everyone pretty much knew that Samuel would be franchised. The key now is either signing him to a long-term contract or trading him for a 1st.

You have to love the drama, gives a ton of things to talk about.

Now what happens to Graham?????

Mo I agree 100%. I don't think i disagreed with DaB, if I did i misunderstood his point.

The point is so many here are going to try to assume we will get an auto 2 first rounders if we trade Asante. That is no way close to true.

With that said, Asante will need direct permission to negotiate with other teams on the exclusive (normal) tag, or the Pats will handle trades themselves. The agent can do it automatically with the non-exclusive.

I am 99% sure that it is an exclusive tag. The 1% is laughing because BB wants to make a point. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Back