PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Pats expected to add incentives to Brady's deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
You realize these are add-ons, right? How about - ridiculous for a player who signed a contract already to ask for more money. Anyway, Brady wants to be paid like a top NFL QB, team will pay him if he is, won't pay him if he's not. What's wrong with that?
Yeah, stupid Brady, serves him right.

Yeah because brady hasn’t saved the patriots 60 million dollars over his career so BB could piece together a better team...

And now a 41 year old man, who just carried a pathetic defense and piss poor coaching staff in the Super Bowl last year, is askin for a little more money before he rides off into the sunset...how selfish of him

This is a slap in the face to brady

Brady agreeing to a deal which has the potential to provide him more than he currently gets, and no less, is a slap in the face to Brady? Got it.

Brady agreeing to a deal which has the potential to provide him more than he currently gets, and no less, is a slap in the face to Brady? Got it.

Did you see those very difficult incentives he has to reach? At age 41?

He’s only accomplished it three times in his 18 year career.

It’s almost an impossible task at age 41

The goat gives us a massive hometown discount every year...the least the patriots could do is give him incentives they know he will reach without much effort

While you’re probably correct, it’s certainly something they’ll take notice of, and when combined with the injury concerns, may give pause for offering an extension with a full two years remaining on the deal.

Over the course of 2018 & 2019, Gronk receives:

$17M salary
$2M in roster & workout bonuses

His cap hit includes $4M in remaining prorations from his last signing bonus.

He currently has zero guaranteed money (except for injury, perhaps).

The Pats could extend him two seasons, convert $15M of his current salaries to signing bonus (spread over the four years), and play with salary and incentive numbers for 2020 & 2021 to increase the AAV to a satisfactory level without necessarily putting themselves on the hook for big money unless Gronk atually play and performs well.

Gronk will still be only 30 at the end of his current contract in 2019. In spite of his injury history, there's still a decent chance that he could play till age 32.

Since I dont have a BSJ subscription yet and the reports are that his incentives are NLTBE I guess those escalator clauses that make them double in case of a SB victory (to a max of 5m total) are what turns all of this NLTBE.

If thats the case then this was the creativity of BB and Caserio I was talking about. Pretty genius way to give Brady some money but not affect our operating budget for this year.

despite interesting speculations this makes much more sense . esp. for Tom .
but the end result is the same

Trollin' Volin (Planet Earth's Medadope) thinks the contract is "insulting" to Brady. That's all I need to know.

Trollin' Volin (Planet Earth's Medadope) thinks the contract is "insulting" to Brady. That's all I need to know.

Anyone who thinks any of this adjustment is insulting is an absolute idiot.

It is a win-win because Brady will easily each the incentives if he stays healthy and the team doesn't have to start restructuring other players to make space in 2018.

It is a win-win because Brady will easily each the incentives if he stays healthy and the team doesn't have to start restructuring other players to make space in 2018.

“Easily”?

He’s only done it 3 times in his 18 year career.

He’s now 41 years old

He’s saved the patriots 60 million dollars over the past 18 years. The least BB could do is throw him a hanging curve to hit out of the park. Instead BB gave him a splitter in the dirt

Say about Curran what you want but I think we all can agree that he is connected to the Brady camp:

Say about Curran what you want but I think we all can agree that he is connected to the Brady camp:

He absolutely is and a large part of that connection is related to the fact that they're both Guerrero clients, in my opinion.

How can people defend Belichick on this one boggles my mind...then again he walks on water here

The incentives given out to a 41 year old legend are insulting. These standards are way too high

Maybe BB should give incentives to himself, his defense, and his defensive coaches for playing and coaching so poorly they had to be carried by a 40 year old man last year

Hope they don’t expect brady to do it again.

How can people defend Belichick on this one boggles my mind...then again he walks on water here

The incentives given out to a 41 year old legend are insulting. These standards are way too high

Maybe BB should give incentives to himself, his defense, and his defensive coaches for playing and coaching so poorly they had to be carried by a 40 year old man last year

Hope they don’t expect brady to do it again.
I can't stand the *****ing over this.

Instead of being a Brady fanboy for a moment, pretend you are Bill.

What do you propose a contract structure should look like for a team who is trying to minimize it's risk with an older player, maintain cap flexibility and pay a player who is still a Top 3 QB at an appropriate salary?

1. Many people following the situation closely incl. Miguel very much expected a contract extension for Brady this yr. So this deal could be seen as a surprise. With only guarantees for part of this season (2/3 appr) and relatively easy to earn incentives but no new guaranteed money and nothing gtd further. But if Tom misses even a small part of the season for relatively minor injury . the new incentive money can easily start to disappear (they can adjust the contract again in that case but that's an IF as opposed to money in the bank). While insulting is too dramatic (although i wouldn't be surprised if this were Giselle's feelings as well) i could certainly understand that it is somewhat disappointing for Brady and Yee and of course Tommy's personal fans.

2. Id guess possible disappointment is not about the actual money since Id guess Kraft and Brady will remain close business associates after Tom hangs them. But it could be about some sort of respect or the right thing to do. Watching the QB market wildly reset w 25-30M apy contracts flying around for guys that haven't won a significant game in their life is one thing. But also looking at Brees' new contract which is (though slightly) higher over the next 2 years (with a bit less guaranteed) increasing his cap hit to 33M in 2019 and leaving 10M dead money in 2020. He was a FA of course but still TB would rightfully expect at least similar treatment involving some more guarantees (of 2019 f.e.) and some new money extended to 2020 when he will probably be out. The reality of this contract is that if TB gets injured and misses part of 2018 and all 2019 - he will lose some 25M of 49M left.

Don't get me wrong, what BB did here is what he always does - doing what's best for the team (and individual player as much as those can go hand in hand). Id guess they adjusted the contract to Brees standard (the only guy in similar market situation). Wouldn't exactly call it a win-win . maybe as win-win as possible within how BB's ship operates.

But if Tom misses even a small part of the season for relatively minor injury . the new incentive money can easily start to disappear (they can adjust the contract again in that case but that's an IF as opposed to money in the bank).

Did you miss the part where the Pats converted 10m of his 14m base salary to a signing bonus making it fully guaranteed ?

He might miss out on incentives if he gets injured but will still end up with more than before in that case.

Watching the QB market wildly reset w 25-30M apy contracts flying around for guys that haven't won a significant game in their life is one thing.

If you add in the incentives (that were only moved to 2019 for salary cap reasons) Brady has technically the second highest cap hit after JimmyG this year with 27m. Is it market setting ? No. Is it overall competitive ? Yes.

The reality of this contract is that if TB gets injured and misses part of 2018 and all 2019 - he will lose some 25M of 49M left.

And he knew that when he signed the contract and posted "Just win" on Facebook a few years ago. Back then he was celebrated for it. There was no gun to his head. Hell it is BBs job to built the best roster he can and putting a lot of guaranteed money into a 41 year old is statistically in the NFL not a great idea. Doing it year-by-year as they go is the only reasonable way to handle that risk. I dont understand why this is insulting to people.

1. Many people following the situation closely incl. Miguel very much expected a contract extension for Brady this yr. So this deal could be seen as a surprise. With only guarantees for part of this season (2/3 appr) and relatively easy to earn incentives but no new guaranteed money and nothing gtd further. But if Tom misses even a small part of the season for relatively minor injury . the new incentive money can easily start to disappear (they can adjust the contract again in that case but that's an IF as opposed to money in the bank). While insulting is too dramatic (although i wouldn't be surprised if this were Giselle's feelings as well) i could certainly understand that it is somewhat disappointing for Brady and Yee and of course Tommy's personal fans.

2. Id guess possible disappointment is not about the actual money since Id guess Kraft and Brady will remain close business associates after Tom hangs them. But it could be about some sort of respect or the right thing to do. Watching the QB market wildly reset w 25-30M apy contracts flying around for guys that haven't won a significant game in their life is one thing. But also looking at Brees' new contract which is (though slightly) higher over the next 2 years (with a bit less guaranteed) increasing his cap hit to 33M in 2019 and leaving 10M dead money in 2020. He was a FA of course but still TB would rightfully expect at least similar treatment involving some more guarantees (of 2019 f.e.) and some new money extended to 2020 when he will probably be out. The reality of this contract is that if TB gets injured and misses part of 2018 and all 2019 - he will lose some 25M of 49M left.

Don't get me wrong, what BB did here is what he always does - doing what's best for the team (and individual player as much as those can go hand in hand). Id guess they adjusted the contract to Brees standard (the only guy in similar market situation). Wouldn't exactly call it a win-win . maybe as win-win as possible within how BB's ship operates.

More importantly this contract is in line with what was reported from various sources (incl. Tom himself) that he will definitely play in 2018 and probably in 2019 (unless he is willing to leave 15M on the table) . and then it will likely be over.

This means to me that transition to Pats life after Brady is officially starting (and probably in some part started already with last draft). They added significant draft capital for 2019 and will continue to add for 2020 (bc BB will not tank and dismount the team like many others would/do), they have 3rd best cap space for 2020 (so they can go for starting veteran QB if the opportunity is there - like Foles f.e), and they have a solid core signed at least through 2020 - Burkhead, Michel, White, Cannon, Wynn, Andrews, Hightower (Id prematurely add also Bentley), Wise, Rivers, Gilmore, Chung, Harmon, Dawson.

Lots of key missing pieces as well so the next 3 years will be most fascinating to watch from roster building perspective - hopefully (and likely) with BB running the show..

Last edited:
Did you miss the part where the Pats converted 10m of his 14m base salary to a signing bonus making it fully guaranteed ?

No, its there in the txt: “With only guarantees for part of this season (2/3 appr)“ = 10 of 14M. (1M roster bonus also not gdt of course)

He might miss out on incentives if he gets injured but will still end up with more than before in that case.

Of course he will earn more (and Id guess nobody expected he will go into the season with no sala guarantees), but most people (incl. Miguel) expected significantly more iirc (another yr, new money..).

If you add in the incentives (that were only moved to 2019 for salary cap reasons) Brady has technically the second highest cap hit after JimmyG this year with 27m. Is it market setting ? No. Is it overall competitive ? Yes.

Cap hit is meaningless for player's income and market setting. Its just administrative tool for balancing team's cap. APY and guarantees are market setters. Id guess Brady's value currently is north of 30M a year - but he is 41..

I dont understand why this is insulting to people.

Not difficult to understand for personal fans of Tom. And I can easily see how it could be somewhat disappointing for Tom and Yee (Curran or no Curran). Id guess most people in Brady's situation wouldn't sign that (its not like he has no leverage being the best player in the league and Pats not having real backup option at QB anymore). Then again they are not TB and he's done it before (although in different circumstances). But like I said it is reasonable from BB's point of view - and good news for fans of the team.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back