PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Ochocinco will stay with Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it kind of pointless trying to project who the WRs are going to be. Here are the only things we DO know.

1. Welker and Lloyd are WR locks to make the team.

2. Of the other 6 true WRs (Edelman, Branch, Gonsales, Ocho, Underwood, and Stallworth), only 3 will make the final roster

3. If we draft a WR with a pick in the first 3 rounds, then only 2 of the 6 will get jobs

That's it. That's all we know and rest is pure speculation

BTW- as to Josh's past tendency to use a lot of WRs in his offense, I think the reality of Gronk and Hernandez will cause him to adjust his view somewhat. I still don't see a situation that the #3 WR will be anything more than the 5th target unless there is an injury

Why are we only counting 5 WR's?

I am assuming that you believe there will be a rookie, (which I'm now not sure that I believe) or you are still counting Slater as a WR?

Slater counted in theory as a WR last yr due to lack of depth and options, but he played about 90% of his snaps as a safety. I am not counting him as a WR any longer.

Underwood should not make the team with the additional talent and competition that we now have, unless he obviously shows the coaches something wonderful very soon.

So at this point, we can probably count 4 out of the 5 of :Ochocinco, Branch, Stallworth, Gonzalez, and Edelman.

I do agree with your overall point though, on March 23rd it's probably silly to try and project the final WR's; so I will now stop doing that ;)

Do any of you people really think you know more about evaluatiing whether a player will contribute to the team more than BB does?

Moroney, Butler, Wheatley, Bethel, Chad Jackson. YES.

NO..that should be everyones answer.

If BB says Ocho is going to be the best WR in the nfl next season. You better think he knows more than you..because he does.

I have a better chance at winning the powerball.

Hernandez had to tell him where to line up in the SB. LOL. Stinko was a joke last season.

Also, the Pats got flagged for illegal formation during the season because ***** for brains covered up the TE by lining up on the LOS.

The majorty, if not all the folks here know thats a penalty. Why doesnt a Veteran NFL WR know that?

Feeling the love on this thread.

Some posters on this message board would want to draft 2 or 3 more receivers.

No more please !

Who will be cut before the preseason?

Ray, you are letting your anti-chad bias cloud your reading comprehension. There is no real "blame" here, merely circumstance. The way the season turned out. The way the offense was refocused from the WRs to the TE's. From outside the hashes to inside them. The relative good health at the receiver position. Brady's penchant to get "comfortable" with certain receivers. AND Chad's inability to "get" the offense in the first half of the season. ALL those things "conspired" to limit his opportunities.

If it was true that he never "got" the offense then Brady, as MG pointed out, wouldn't have been supportive. If he simply lost his speed and quickness, then BB would have released him. Neither occurred

....And as to your "That certainly makes the rebuilding more complicated." I have no idea what you are talking about

He had two weeks to prepare for the super bowl knowing their big target was injured or out. He made one catch. It's not because he was the fourth option or behind others or whatever, so he was running all the routes correctly, but Brady decided not to go to him even though Gronk was obviously not 100%.

There comes a time when excuses and blaming others (Tom was fixed on other receivers doesn't cut it when their top threat is down).

Of course their major offensive acquisition of 2011 only played one snap against Denver, though his inactive status against Baltimore was partly due to the unfortunate passing of his father.

I hope you enjoy his reality show and i hope that he gives it his full attention and effort, something i didn't see here, frankly.

If there's one thing we know about the patriot way it's players that are 100% focused on football, regardless of talent. Can anyone honestly say Och's attention was 100% on football, even as he had obviously spent a year not learning what he needed to make even a marginal impact on the team? Taking players out to IHOP, tweeter followers out to dinner, reality shows, fan room mate contests, tweeting constantly. Sorry, I see distracted and a distraction when I see 85.

Last edited:
Even with lloyd and stallworth..still going to keep him..hmmm

No, anyone who's childish enough to use something as lame as "Ochostinko" because they find it an amusing way of showing disdain for the player is childish.

Just as I'm being childish when I use Glass IR Dowling, by the way. Even though I say that strictly because I find it amusing, I've got no call to complain if people don't take my opinion on Dowling's health seriously.

What a load of crap. People often disrespect players who get it done on the field.

Renamed : Chad Senor StinkoCatorce

more appropriate name for him

Even with lloyd and stallworth..still going to keep him..hmmm

cant teach an old dog new tricks. He'll be cut if he doesn't show any improvements this camp. Worthless use of roster space, one who eats up cap space.

He had two weeks to prepare for the super bowl knowing their big target was injured or out. He made one catch. It's not because he was the fourth option or behind others or whatever, so he was running all the routes correctly, but Brady decided not to go to him even though Gronk was obviously not 100%.

There comes a time when excuses and blaming others (Tom was fixed on other receivers doesn't cut it when their top threat is down).

Of course their major offensive acquisition of 2011 only played one snap against Denver, though his inactive status against Baltimore was partly due to the unfortunate passing of his father.

I hope you enjoy his reality show and i hope that he gives it his full attention and effort, something i didn't see here, frankly.

If there's one thing we know about the patriot way it's players that are 100% focused on football, regardless of talent. Can anyone honestly say Och's attention was 100% on football, even as he had obviously spent a year not learning what he needed to make even a marginal impact on the team? Taking players out to IHOP, tweeter followers out to dinner, reality shows, fan room mate contests, tweeting constantly. Sorry, I see distracted and a distraction when I see 85.

With Lloyd, Welker, Gronk, Hernandez, Branch, Stallworth, on this team, and McDaniels running the Offense, Senor Catorce (Mr. 15...catches that is), if he somehow makes the team, will likely equal his contribution from 2011.

Dude is done, worthless piece of dog dodo. BB needs to cut his losses accept it as a mistake and move on. Brady is not going to throw to Senor Catorce.

I think it kind of pointless trying to project who the WRs are going to be. Here are the only things we DO know.

2. Of the other 6 true WRs (Edelman, Branch, Gonsales, Ocho, Underwood, and Stallworth), only 3 will make the final roster

3. If we draft a WR with a pick in the first 3 rounds, then only 2 of the 6 will get jobs

BTW- as to Josh's past tendency to use a lot of WRs in his offense, I think the reality of Gronk and Hernandez will cause him to adjust his view somewhat. I still don't see a situation that the #3 WR will be anything more than the 5th target unless there is an injury

Branch is a lock to make the roster, IMO.

Last edited:
2012 New England Patriots wide receivers currently under contract:

Deion Branch
Britt Davis
Julian Edelman
Anthony Gonzalez
Chad "Ochostinko" Johnson
Brandon Lloyd
Matt Slater
Donte Stallworth
Tiquan Underwood
Wes Welker

New England Patriots - 2012 Team Roster - Rotoworld.com Fantasy Sports

WR cuts are going to be tough this season. I see a lot of potential with most on that list. Someone is going to be disappointed at the final cuts. WOuld they carry 5 + Slater (he's great on ST not so much on offense)?

Stallworth Gonzalez and Underwood are all long shots at best to make the team so why not let ocho come to TC

The #3 receiver is at best the #5 receiver target. Perhaps #6 is more reasonable, after whichever running back is in the game at the time.

As DI has indicated, perhaps we will have a greater role for the #3 and #4 receivers in 2012, using 7 targets in a game (4 WR, 2 TE and 1 RB). In 2011, we clearly overused Welker and Gronkowski. Our top 4 receivers accounted for 85% of the receptions, with the running backs accounting for 9% (the rb number seems reasonable).

WIDE RECEIVERS OTHER THAN THE #1 and #2 IN 2011
They accounted for a total of 23 catches all year, 1 1/2 catches per game. We should be able to spread the ball out better. Welker doesn't have that many 100 receptions season left in him.

3 ROSTER SPOTS
Obviously, the best 53 make the squad, and an extra wideout is always possible. That being said, you arithmetic is spot on. We need THREE more receivers, with one being inactive in almost any game. At least two of these are expected to play special teams. At minimum, we need one to be a returner.

I agree that there is a lot of competition for these three roster spots. As you say, we have Branch, Stallworth, Johnson, Gonzalez, Edelman, Underwood and perhaps a draftee.

We should be real. There should be no more than 5 WR roster spots. We have four fine receivers targets (2 WR and 2 TE's) and the RB's should get some receptions.

A SIDE NOTE ON THE "LAST" FEW ROSTER SPOTS
Some STer are locks. We just don't recognize the importance Belichick puts on special teamers. A spot or two can be used for developmental players who are expected to be inactive this year, but are two valuable to risk trying to place on the Practice Squad.
And last couple of spots simply go to the player who is most valuable, which can change from game to game.

I won't say it is useless to project the positions played by the last 3 roster spots, but that is almost the case.

ONE BOTTOM LINE
The #5 WR position is not very important. We need four healthy wide receivers, that's all. The four must include a returner.

with all the Wr's though, you have to wonder if #3 WR is going to be a much more important role this year...not to forget that Hernandez likely will miss a couple games

as good as Gronk/welker are...do you want them taking 8-9 hits a game? we got lucky last year that neither had to miss any time.

Josh Mcdaniels may be planning on a more "spread the ball" offense where there can be multiple targets for brady other than the top 4.

theres no excuses to be made, Ochocinco was BAD last year. he was brought in to potentially be the #2 guy and he could barely handle a #3 WR role...but I see no benefit in cutting him..now at least...we are paying him either way.

Physically i think he still has it as a wide receiver...we saw glimpses of it last year. the question is if Mentally he can put it all together. give him an offseason. IF(and thats a big if) he can put it together he could be better than every other #3

if not, I think Branch and Stallworth should be fine in that role

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe