PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schedule Looks A Lot Less Menacing After Win Over Saints

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look, I hate the Jets as much as anyone, but that is a team built to beat the Patriots. It's a damn good defense and they usually play us hard.

I think we'll beat them, but I don't think anyone should sleep on them.

A damn good defense? I'm not so sure about that.

I don't know, I know the offense has turned the ball over 8 times in four games (really 3 games they didn't turn it over against the Falcons)

But they have allowed the following points in their last 4 games:
Buffalo: 20
Tennessee: 38
Atlanta: 28
Pittsburgh: 19

Considering the injuries, I don't think the Pats are at a point when you can write a "W" for them against anyone. The good thing is, writing an "L" is equally premature.

Hopefully Talib's isn't serious and Kelly can come back, figure Mayo being in a sling is at least a two week minimum if its just a shoulder sprain and longer if its more serious. The early reports on Talib stated they didn't believe it was serious. But not having your best (available) DT and LB in the middle a long with your best player in the secondary is enough to sink most defenses. We will see.

The injuries for this team are down right ridiculous.

The injuries for this team are down right ridiculous.

No one does more with less.

I don't want to get too corny, but year in and year out we continue to see the "team building" philosophy where talent does not always equate to a guaranteed roster spot. Heart, passion, and perseverance once again continue to come through, and this year may be the best example of that.

It's one of the reasons why I included it in my signature prior to game one. After all of the changes, controversy, important players lost, etc--this seriously may end up being Belichick's biggest accomplishment; even if they don't win the SB and "only" make a deep playoff run.

Come to think of it, I think a strong argument could be made that no one does more with less in all 4 major sports. It is beyond impressive, and yesterday's game may end up proving to be a huge confidence builder moving forward.

As far as the schedule goes, I think that we have an excellent shot at 12-4, possibly even 13-3. Luckily, both undefeated teams are in the same division, so it would appear that the KC Chiefs will get nothing more than a WC spot if we assume that DEN wins the division.

That puts us in an excellent position to try and grab the #2 seed (I know, I know--it's way too early, but this is after all a "schedule" thread).

One thing to consider is that we still face 4 more games vs divisional opponents, and I know that many here look past them every year as if it's a guaranteed victory, but I personally do not.

I think that we saw the first 1/3 of the schedule prior to the bye as the "easy" part, with the middle 1/3 vs ATL, CIN, and NO are the hardest part. If that is true than the next 3 upcoming games at NYJ, vs MIA, and vs PIT likely falls somewhere in between. Believe it or not, I would not be shocked to lose one of those next 3 games before heading into the bye.

You also have to remember that we'll then face a period coming out of the bye where 4/6 of the remaining games are on the road, along with a 3/4 stretch. That can be a challenge for anyone, especially when you are facing tough games vs DEN, MIA, and BAL in there; the latter 2 coming on the road.

Like I said, 12-4 or 13-3 should be a distinct possibility, which is remarkable considering the offseason and current injury situation that we have.

Right now I have losses @NYJ, vs. DEN, @MIA, @BAL, but I'm sure we win at least 2 of those 4.

I think the biggest trap game to look out for is Pittsburgh. It's the closest Sunday to October 31 and they always beat us on Halloween weekend...

2-2 over those 4 likely/possible losses and a trap game (Steelers?) would put us at a very respectable 12-4.

Boy what would you have predicted had we lost to ATL or NO? I swear, some of you guys are unbelievably pessimistic despite the body of work to date.

A damn good defense? I'm not so sure about that.

I don't know, I know the offense has turned the ball over 8 times in four games (really 3 games they didn't turn it over against the Falcons)

But they have allowed the following points in their last 4 games:
Buffalo: 20
Tennessee: 38
Atlanta: 28
Pittsburgh: 19

The front seven is legit, the back 4 not as much. They can have their days, though. FWIW, the TN game was more about NY's offensive issues than their defense.

I still owe you a sig, so let me know when you come up with something.

The schedule gets alot more favorable now but really every week is still a tough game especially if:

- Mayo/Talib are out for an extended period
- Kelly/Gronk don't come back soon
- Pass protection issues persist
- Drops persist

Up until Denver it's all teams we should still beat but if those issues are there every game will be a dogfight and a loss in any would not shock me.

Agreed. It's pretty hard to win when half the team is on the sideline in a cast or a sling. It's pretty much a miracle the Pats were able to win this week with all the injuries before and during the game. I like how our team is really practicing the "next man up" philosophy, even if it is out of necessity. Go Pats!!

As far as the schedule goes, I think that we have an excellent shot at 12-4, possibly even 13-3. Luckily, both undefeated teams are in the same division, so it would appear that the KC Chiefs will get nothing more than a WC spot if we assume that DEN wins the division.

That puts us in an excellent position to try and grab the #2 seed (I know, I know--it's way too early, but this is after all a "schedule" thread).

One thing to consider is that we still face 4 more games vs divisional opponents, and I know that many here look past them every year as if it's a guaranteed victory, but I personally do not.

I think that we saw the first 1/3 of the schedule prior to the bye as the "easy" part, with the middle 1/3 vs ATL, CIN, and NO are the hardest part. If that is true than the next 3 upcoming games at NYJ, vs MIA, and vs PIT likely falls somewhere in between. Believe it or not, I would not be shocked to lose one of those next 3 games before heading into the bye.

You also have to remember that we'll then face a period coming out of the bye where 4/6 of the remaining games are on the road, along with a 3/4 stretch. That can be a challenge for anyone, especially when you are facing tough games vs DEN, MIA, and BAL in there; the latter 2 coming on the road.

Like I said, 12-4 or 13-3 should be a distinct possibility, which is remarkable considering the offseason and current injury situation that we have.

Yes it would be nice to go 12-4 or 13-3 and we might just do this . . . don't want to get to far ahead of ourselves, but with Den having to play us, KC twice, Indy, Hou, and SD twice, they could have some looses in there . . . and KC having a similar schedule . . . if we can beat Den and thus have the tiebreaker and perhaps KC/Den/Indy cancel each other out, we have a good shot at a bye this year . . . if we can beat Balt and Den it will help a lot . . . my guess is our lost to Cinn will not hurt us as Cinn might be able to catch us . . .

but agreed with the AFC north and South hurting the bye is a possibility . . .

Sure it looks less menacing but who knows. If you told me we'd lose to Cincinnati I would have believed you but if you told me we'd lose by only scoring 6 points while committing zero penalties and only giving up 13 I would have laughed at you. All depends on which offense shows up week to week, and now we potentially have major defensive injuries for a few weeks.

The front seven is legit, the back 4 not as much. They can have their days, though. FWIW, the TN game was more about NY's offensive issues than their defense.

I still owe you a sig, so let me know when you come up with something.

That is why included the TO number in the post because that obviously factors in. But you are correct that secondary is rough. If the kids figure out how to stop dropping balls, and the Oline blocks the way it is capable of (to include Brady making the correct blitz pickup, which he was not good at on Sunday) it could be a big week for the Pats O.

On the sig I'm thinking something to do with Rocky Mountain Oysters. How bout "I love the taste of Peyton's succulent Rocky Mountain Oysters" too much? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back