Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What should the Pats do if they have the #1 pick in 2021?

• Lawrence

Votes: 48 61.5%
  • Trade if the offer is a great one

Votes: 10 12.8%
  • RLKAG

Votes: 20 25.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
The Patriots should not be close to the worst record in the NFL in 2020 but for argument's sake - say with a combination of a historically unprecedented amount of bad luck and catastrophic injuries to the wrong players - the Patriots finish in that spot and have the #1 pick in the 2021 draft... do you take Lawrence...or do you accept another team's offer to move into that spot? I'm thinking multiple first and second rounders, entire drafts, the Herschel Walker type of deal.

Whatever team is there can name their price this year. Would be awfully hard to resist and there are no guarantees in this league...:headscratch:

The Patriots should not be close to the worst record in the NFL in 2020 but for argument's sake - say with a combination of a historically unprecedented amount of bad luck and catastrophic injuries to the wrong players - the Patriots finish in that spot and have the #1 pick in the 2021 draft... do you take Lawrence...or do you accept another team's offer to move into that spot? I'm thinking multiple first and second rounders, entire drafts, the Herschel Walker type of deal.

Whatever team is there can name their price this year. Would be awfully hard to resist and there are no guarantees in this league...:headscratch:

upload_2020-4-29_9-28-5.gif

If they get the #1 pick it means Stidham sucks, among other things. You go Lawrence and don’t look back.

If they get the #1 pick it means Stidham sucks, among other things. You go Lawrence and don’t look back.
It could mean that. Or in this scenario maybe he got hurt and is out for the year and that's one reason why they're there.... I'm inclined to say pick Lawrence but it would be hard to say no if a team gives us a stupid offer for that spot.

Should add another option - Goodell will take it away anyway. :(

It could mean that. Or in this scenario maybe he got hurt and is out for the year and that's one reason why they're there.... I'm inclined to say pick Lawrence but it would be hard to say no if a team gives us a stupid offer for that spot.

At this point the alternative is Brian Hoyer and a realistic (even somewhat optimistic) expectation is that Stidham is no better than Brian Hoyer. It's not like the difference going from prime Brady to Nathan Peterman or something.

the manning boys, elway and aikman are the only top picks to win it all with the teams that drafted them (or got them on draft day)...at least as far as I care to go back

trade the pick

the manning boys, elway and aikman are the only top picks to win it all with the teams that drafted them (or got them on draft day)...at least as far as I care to go back

trade the pick
You can add Terry Bradshaw & Joe Namath to that list, off the top of my head.

The Patriots under Bill Belichick will never have a shot at #1 pick.

With that said, #Fail4Fields

Trade down into rounds 2 and 3.

Lowest pick the better.

That historical stuff is meaningless. If the Pats get the #1 pick in 2021, it means either (1) they had the worst record in football in 2020, or (2) they've made a trade somehow to acquire that pick (like maybe they made a trade early in the season to give away a player and some picks for that team's first rounder in 2021, and then surprisingly that team has just been a disaster and they finished with the worst record).

In the first case, it probably means Stidham is really bad, and then they'd need a stud QB. Lawrence IMO would be the right guy to draft. Or if Stidham was good but they suffered a huge rash of injuries and such that pushed them down to the bottom of the league, then maybe they'd rather deal the pick and add players elsewhere. I'd imagine you don't turn down a franchise type QB if you can get him.

In the second case, maybe they've been really good but then got lucky acquiring another team's #1 pick. Then maybe they don't need Lawrence and they then would be best trading the pick for a king's ransom.

Lawrence without a shadow of a doubt. If they have the #1 pick, it’s because Stidham is cheeks so they will need a QB. Dumb thread, but better than some of the nonsense around here lately, so I guess I’ll take it.

Draft a division 2 special teams slash safety wasn't a choice so I'll say Lawrence as well.

Win 30% of all SBs since 2000 with pick #199, then dream of getting the #1 pick.

Being a Pats fan is never dull :coffee:

Be smart like the Bengals

That sounded wrong

Trading the pick for 12 second rounders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back