PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Saints released RB C.J. Spiller

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know why I'm arguing about Foster, just cut Harbor then.
Yeah cut a guy that other teams have already offered picks for. . .good plan.

deal me in on C.J. if he's healthy... no brainer

New Orleans just ate a $7 million dead money hit to dump Spiller, and they're not a stupid organization. That's a very, very bad sign about his ability to contribute.

Agree with your general idea but about the Saints not being a stupid organization, when it comes to finances, they kind of are. They had to trade their Gronk because they had no money to pay him, and if I'm not mistaken they were shopping other players last year too which means they were spending more money than they had lately, its economics 101 and they failed.

While a player like Spiller (quite possibly the RB version of Percy Harvin) is compelling on paper, he's probably the opposite of the kind of guy that they're looking for in terms of being humble, showing up and doing your job + staying healthy. It also may be difficult to justify that kind of salary and I believe that Belichick passed on better RBs for that same reason.

To take it one step further, I'm not sure if someone could immediately come here and pick up the playbook enough to contribute for a little while. In the meantime, we have both White and Foster as the kinds of 3rd down backs that would mimic his play, and we can't even get Foster on the active 46 man gameday roster yet.

I'd be much more interested if there were a "real" RB available who could spell Blount and move the chains.

• Agree
Reactions: TBR
To take it one step further, I'm not sure if someone could immediately come here and pick up the playbook enough to contribute for a little while.
Stephen Jackson last year did that. It's easy to learn the plays for a RB, it's not like WRs.

Stephen Jackson last year did that. It's easy to learn the plays for a RB, it's not like WRs.

I definitely agree that learning the system as a RB is much easier than a WR, TE, or (obviously) QB, but you still have to be willing to put in lots of work. I'm not sure that a guy like Spiller is necessarily that guy, but that's also just my humble opinion. Perhaps I am shorting him a bit.

Although things weren't completely new to him. He played for McDaniels with the Rams for a year.

No. Spiller is not better than anyone we have including foster at this point.

Works well then that we had combined practices with the Saints during camp. I am sure that our coaching staff has a pretty accurate picture of what Spiller still has left in the tank based on that. So if we don't try to sign him you can assume that he wasn't impressive during those workouts.

I feel like they released because he was too expensive (Which is acceptable). I do think he is at least as good as Blount running (I, personally, don't trust him) and better receiving.

So, bottomline:
SIGN THE BEAST

if you are going to dump someone because they are too expensive, you don't wait til the season starts and you are on the hook for the entire years base salary.

I like when LeGere Blount is pushed don't like him as the only bruiser on Team which might make him become complacent. If C.J. Spiller has anything left BB should find out via a workout.

if you are going to dump someone because they are too expensive, you don't wait til the season starts and you are on the hook for the entire years base salary.
I'm pretty sure i read somewhere he would still be eligeble to receive north of one million if he stayed.
Maybe the Saints hoped for something and realized late its mistake.

I still like Spiller, especially now that I'm hearing he will be available for something close to a minimum

Foster is a converted WR, I don't know why anyone would expect he'd be a great running RB.

Isn't he a running back that played his senior year as a WR....but now he's a running back again?!!

Or am I mis-remembering that?

Every team passed on Foster in the draft and he hasn't played a game yet. I don't see why any team would change their mind on him now.

Brady was passed over 198 times!

At least this year it seems you can say he is a runner.

New Orleans just ate a $7 million dead money hit to dump Spiller, and they're not a stupid organization. That's a very, very bad sign about his ability to contribute.

The Saints are sitting on $40M in dead cap, so this isn't exactly uncharacteristic of them, either. They've signed a lot of contracts they they almost instantly regretted in the past couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back