PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ryan Clark thinks Dolphins will be better than Pats!?

2nd place will be a battle between Jets and Patriots.

Miami will finish in last place.

Dolphins swept patriots last season, finished with one less win, made some roster improvements this offseason (the Patriots didn’t), and have a coaching staff that actually knows what their job is going to be.

So not sure why anyone would think this is a controversial take by Clark.

Dolphins swept patriots last season, finished with one less win, made some roster improvements this offseason (the Patriots didn’t), and have a coaching staff that actually knows what their job is going to be.

I think this bold part is more a narrative invented by the dumbest members of the media, but the overall point stands. The two teams were already very similar in results, so it takes a massive homer to get mad about this take.

While we can't be certain RIGHT NOW, how do you know we didn't improve our roster?
How hard is it going to be to replace Collins/VanNoy(freelancers) and a slower Hightower with the young guys like McGrone, Mcmillan, Perkins,Wilson, Jennings?
Some of those guys have a year+ learning the system, but were either blocked or hurt.
JC Jackson is overated IMO, good WRS made him look like a bum, he's VVG at finding poorly thrown/deflected passes, but a good #2-LA Overpaid.
Think we didn't miss Jones last year, we had a young Bryant in there....
Don't think Aggy and Smith will be better with a year in the system, think Mac is going to suck his 2nd year?
I'm glad everyone thinks we're gonna suck, that's gonna be a BIG CHIP.

Do I think they will be world beaters? No.
Do I think folks are selling them short? Yes.

We'll see.

Maybe. The first thing I look at are the key 3 positions of QB and to a lesser extent WR and CB. The dolphins certainly have better WRs and CBs. For Miami Hill, Waddle at WR and Howard and Jones should be a very good 1-2 for both units. Better than ours.

The Pats have the better QB, but we don't know how good Mac will be this year and Tua isn't garbage. It's fair to assume Mac will be better though we don't know by how much. Tua's 2nd year jump wasn't much if anything, and Mac in his 2nd half of his rookie year is already better than Tua has shown to be. So as long as Mac doesn't regress he should be better.

At this point unless Mac makes a good jump in year 2 (and i hope he will) I'd give the edge to Miami in those key positions on the whole. Thankfully for us, I believe outside of those spots were better than them. And as much as the NFL has tried to turn the game intosomething closer to arena football, things like OL, LBs, and RBs still matter and can't be discounted out of hand.

How hard is it going to be to replace Collins/VanNoy(freelancers) and a slower Hightower with the young guys like McGrone, Mcmillan, Perkins,Wilson, Jennings?
Apparently it could be more difficult then you think given that McGrone has now torn his ACL twice, McMillian has frequently been injured and Jennings with a mysterious injury along with Wilson leaving a team where his snaps decreased each season. The difference between these guys and Collins/Van Noy/Hightower is that that these guys were actually on the field.
JC Jackson is overated IMO, good WRS made him look like a bum, he's VVG at finding poorly thrown/deflected passes, but a good #2-LA Overpaid.
He's lead the league in INT's since entering the league in 2018 with a mediocre pass rush. That is clearly not a fluke. He also did not allow one 100 yard game last season and has only allowed ONE 100 yard WR in his 4 year career. Led the league in pass breakups. He had the lowest QB rating when thrown to. He also allowed the 2nd lowest completion % when thrown to at 49%. There continues to be posters saying Jackson is "overrated" without anything to back it up. Not one person has provided a compelling argument why he's "overrated".

Maybe. The first thing I look at are the key 3 positions of QB and to a lesser extent WR and CB. The dolphins certainly have better WRs and CBs. For Miami Hill, Waddle at WR and Howard and Jones should be a very good 1-2 for both units. Better than ours.

The Pats have the better QB, but we don't know how good Mac will be this year and Tua isn't garbage. It's fair to assume Mac will be better though we don't know by how much. Tua's 2nd year jump wasn't much if anything, and Mac in his 2nd half of his rookie year is already better than Tua has shown to be. So as long as Mac doesn't regress he should be better.

At this point unless Mac makes a good jump in year 2 (and i hope he will) I'd give the edge to Miami in those key positions on the whole. Thankfully for us, I believe outside of those spots were better than them. And as much as the NFL has tried to turn the game intosomething closer to arena football, things like OL, LBs, and RBs still matter and can't be discounted out of hand.
The thing about Tua not discussed enough is how terrible his OL was. Ranked dead last in 2021 (w/ a whopping 235 total pressures). With the additions of Connor Williams (LG) and Terron Armstead (LT), the OL should improve enough to at least be average. That may be enough to take advantage of weapons like Hill, Waddle, Wilson and Gesicki.

McDaniel's scheme will also help him. If he fails, he's toast.

The thing about Tua not discussed enough is how terrible his OL was. Ranked dead last in 2021 (w/ a whopping 235 total pressures). With the additions of Connor Williams (LG) and Terron Armstead (LT), the OL should improve enough to at least be average. That may be enough to take advantage of weapons like Hill, Waddle, Wilson and Gesicki.

McDaniel's scheme will also help him. If he fails, he's toast.

That post was more supportive and optimistic than any post that you’ve written about the Patriots or their players this entire offseason. 1653767957262.gif

Apparently it could be more difficult then you think given that McGrone has now torn his ACL twice, McMillian has frequently been injured and Jennings with a mysterious injury along with Wilson leaving a team where his snaps decreased each season. The difference between these guys and Collins/Van Noy/Hightower is that that these guys were actually on the field.

He's lead the league in INT's since entering the league in 2018 with a mediocre pass rush. That is clearly not a fluke. He also did not allow one 100 yard game last season and has only allowed ONE 100 yard WR in his 4 year career. Led the league in pass breakups. He had the lowest QB rating when thrown to. He also allowed the 2nd lowest completion % when thrown to at 49%. There continues to be posters saying Jackson is "overrated" without anything to back it up. Not one person has provided a compelling argument why he's "overrated".
He was also paired with Gilmore a lot of that time.
A lot of his INTS were deflections and just ridiculous QB play...Asante Samuel says hello.
I don't think he's a bum, I just think LA Overpaid...ask Stephon Diggs how much he worried about JCJ.
WHY did Wilson fall out of favor? I dunno, he had a good rookie year, then had a BUM HC, and a new guy...that doesn't mean He is a bum.
McGrone was considered a high prospect, we don't get him where we did if he wasn't hurt, BB didn't care because he was going back to Vets, so he'd heal and learn.
Mcmillan was good last preseason and got hurt, we'll see (as I said)... Jennings? Not sure what is up, I know he was hurt some of that time. Perkins? I think he was hurt some, but he didn't have the experience that Bill was counting on anyway, I counted him as blocked/inexperienced...
We DON'T KNOW how good these guys can be, but the TEAM has seen them in practice and meeting room, so they must have an idea of what they have.

BTW, Mahomes and Hill played plenty of Backyard Ball(broken plays- see Big Ben).
I'm not handling ANYTHING to Miami this year, or Buffalo for that matter, Bill has been trying to fix these issues, and now younger guys are going to get a real shot to get in there and prove themselves...
BTW, everyone seems to think Thornton is going to be a bum... let's SEE b4 we write him off.

Last edited:
Mac had some tough games but the defense was absolutely trash vs. decent teams....to me that is the difference. The Bills haven't punted against the Patriots in 10 quarters...Mac will be fine.
The defense was bad vs Buffalo and overall 1st or 2nd best in the league in all the other games. That is almost the opposite of “absolutely trash vs decent teams”.

BTW, for people that bash the drafts of the Pats (some deserved- not a science).
Kevin Dyson was picked 5 selections BEFORE Randy Moss.
We can do that excercise ALL DAY.

While I think the Dolphins will have a slightly better year than last…..I don’t see them doing better than the Pats this year…#1 reason is that I don’t think Tua is an elite QB and I think their offense will still have struggles. Yes they have Hill but they don’t have a “Mahomes “throwing to himI also don’t think their coach is ready for the big time ….we shall see….. What do you all think!?

The Dolphins are the epitome of a team that, regardless of how talented their roster is, their organizational leadership will squander their chances. Case in point being how they handled Flores. Not to say he is without his flaws, but he showed an incredible amount of resolve to go on an 8 win streak after starting 1-8, while managing the stress of an ownership pressing him to lose and often disagreeing with him.

The Dolphins are the epitome of a team that, regardless of how talented their roster is, their organizational leadership will squander their chances. Case in point being how they handled Flores. Not to say he is without his flaws, but he showed an incredible amount of resolve to go on an 8 win streak after starting 1-8, while managing the stress of an ownership pressing him to lose and often disagreeing with him.
Well he coached them to 1-7 also, it’s not like he showed up in week 10.
Hard for me to be impressed by climbing out of the hole you put yourself in, at least not at a level that it makes 9-8 look better than 9-8. Ownership wasn’t pressing him to lose in 2021, if that issue from 2019 was holding him back in 2021 that’s not good for him.

OK, guys, this is your job, and this is your job, and this is your job, now let's go. Say it with me: "Goooooooooooo..... Dolphins...."

This Miami coaching staff is going to be a train wreck. Not sure why people don't understand this.

He was also paired with Gilmore a lot of that time.
A lot of his INTS were deflections and just ridiculous QB play...Asante Samuel says hello.
I don't think he's a bum, I just think LA Overpaid...ask Stephon Diggs how much he worried about JCJ.
WHY did Wilson fall out of favor? I dunno, he had a good rookie year, then had a BUM HC, and a new guy...that doesn't mean He is a bum.
McGrone was considered a high prospect, we don't get him where we did if he wasn't hurt, BB didn't care because he was going back to Vets, so he'd heal and learn.
Mcmillan was good last preseason and got hurt, we'll see (as I said)... Jennings? Not sure what is up, I know he was hurt some of that time. Perkins? I think he was hurt some, but he didn't have the experience that Bill was counting on anyway, I counted him as blocked/inexperienced...
We DON'T KNOW how good these guys can be, but the TEAM has seen them in practice and meeting room, so they must have an idea of what they have.

BTW, Mahomes and Hill played plenty of Backyard Ball(broken plays- see Big Ben).
I'm not handling ANYTHING to Miami this year, or Buffalo for that matter, Bill has been trying to fix these issues, and now younger guys are going to get a real shot to get in there and prove themselves...
BTW, everyone seems to think Thornton is going to be a bum... let's SEE b4 we write him off.
JC Jackson should have huge success in San Diego.

With Bosa and Mack applying pressure up front, and Derwin James patrolling the center of the field, JC is going to be given license to roam and get as many INTs as he can. It's a perfect situation for him.

OK, guys, this is your job, and this is your job, and this is your job, now let's go. Say it with me: "Goooooooooooo..... Dolphins...."

This Miami coaching staff is going to be a train wreck. Not sure why people don't understand this.

Hahahahahh. You’re gonna accuse ANOTHER team of having a train wreck coaching staff? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

I think the fins are a team that could have a great playoff type year or they could be out of the running halfway through the season.

Tua is crap qb. However throwing a 10 yard pass and having hill or waddle take it to the house does not take a lot of qb skill.

Their coach is an unknown. While that means lack of experience, it also means new concepts. I have noticed that for the most part whenever there is a new anything, qb, coach, Coordinator until the league gets acquainted, they usually overperform.

I think for a lot of teams their relative level is easy to tell, but for the fish, I am not quite sure how good they will be. Other teams in that category are the raiders and saints.

Overall, gonna be a fun season between seeing what the Pats can do, to seeing how the afc shakes out, to seeing what happens to the chiefs without hill, to seeing what wilson can do with the broncos.. I am also looking forward to seeing how the Colts do with Ryan.

Hahahahahh. You’re gonna accuse ANOTHER team of having a train wreck coaching staff? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA
What's insane is anyone thinking Bill Belichick (the greatest coach in the history of the NFL) has a trainwreck coaching staff, and instead preferring a Starbucks Barista.

Now that is absolutely nuts ridiculous laughable you should stop watching football stuff.

Last edited:

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Back