PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Russell Wilson might be unhappy in Seattle

It's also still WEIRD that Tom Brady can do what he does in his 40's. QB's have more longevity on average than they used to, thanks to advancements in injury treatments and rules to protect them, but it still can't be counted on that a QB plays at a high level to the age of 40. What Brady is doing is a remarkable exception, not some kind of new standard that we should be holding these players to.

What brady is doing is an exception to the rule. Drew Brees made it to 42 and dropped off like a rock.

You might be right. No way to predict a QB's longevity anymore. Before a Qb was done around 35-37 years old. Elway, Montana, Marino, Young...that was the age. Back then Moon was the outlier. Then Favre pushed it. Brees, Tom, AR...who knows anymore.

Also need to take into account the nature of the league and how they are going out of their way to protect QBs. So if Elway, Montana, etc. last until 35-37 we should probably add 3 -4 years for today's QB, which would explain guys like Brees.

Wilson- "Yo Bill. I want to help you set the draft board, pick the players, target FAs and suggest what to pay them".

BB- "No"
Wilson - "But I know I can make better picks for you than those John Carroll stooges you've been listening to"

Bill - "OK"

What brady is doing is an exception to the rule. Drew Brees made it to 42 and dropped off like a rock.

Well apparently brees might have been playing with a torn rotator cuff.

Also need to take into account the nature of the league and how they are going out of their way to protect QBs. So if Elway, Montana, etc. last until 35-37 we should probably add 3 -4 years for today's QB, which would explain guys like Brees.

How much arm strength can a QB lose at 40 or above? I remembered even vinny testaverde slinging it at that age. One thing brady has benefitted is a running game. The Bucs running game came to life in the playoffs.

I don't think last year was indicative of what Brees would have been capable of at his age without the ribs and rotator cuff injuries, although there is definitely a decline in his play

Russell Wilson has looked old his last few years. We've already tried that at QB and it didn't work. We've got to get younger.
2020 stats - 40TD, 13 INT, 4212 yds, 68.82%, 16 games played...

The NBAization of the league is starting to happen. I don't like to side with the billionaires over the millionaires but I really hope the owners put a stop to this nonsense. Lebron and his nonsense have ruined the NBA.

The notion that Brees' play just dropped in a cliff-like manner is also wrong. He's been losing arm strength for years, and it's not as if he sucked as a QB this year His QB rating was still 106.4, and that was with Thomas out for most of the season.

2020 stats - 40TD, 13 INT, 4212 yds, 68.82%, 16 games played...

Almost identical to Brady's season numbers. Brady had superior weapons, but Wilson had the advantage of having experience playing with his guys coming into the year, so it balanced out in that regard, IMO. No doubt Wilson is still a great QB, though his issues with protection are partly of his design.

Russell Wilson has looked old his last few years. We've already tried that at QB and it didn't work. We've got to get younger.
Counterpoint: The Bucs just tried that and it worked out pretty good for them :D

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Back