PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RUMOR? Patriots interest in AJ Green?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feel the same way. Too bad for him though because he was a great receiver.

I hold any judgment on Green atm. Dude is prolly burnt out playing for that terrible, terrible franchise. Why even bother trying with those guys?

I have a real soft spot for him. So I'm biased. I live in Cincinnati and think it's a travesty that he has been wasted.

The last time the Pats picked up a star wide receiver from the Bengals it didn't work out too well.

That has no bearing on the present.

A.J. Green deported at Logan 3 hours ago.

B65A62B7-782A-465E-B9F2-B1F2D2774341.jpeg

I can’t see Brady even looking Harry’s way with how little Brady trusts rookies.

We'll see and I know it's been the latest mediot talking point but N'Keel Harry is a different kind of receiver. My guess is that if Harry is on the field Brady will throw to him.

I can’t see Brady even looking Harry’s way with how little Brady trusts rookies.
I am tired of the Brady's trust complaint. I don't want to hear anything more about the complexity of the offense. Just stop talking and feeling sorry for yourself. Figure it out. Do your job.

I am tired of the Brady's trust complaint. I don't want to hear anything more about the complexity of the offense. Just stop talking and feeling sorry for yourself. Figure it out. Do your job.

Brady's not complaining. It's the media elaboration.

Brady and any receiver who has ever played in that system have all said the same thing year after year.

The longer this goes on the less this makes no sense at ALL. Wynn can start practicing in 2 weeks, so what do you do with him, and what about next year when you'd have William, Wynn, Cajuste Cannon under contract. :rolleyes: n What do you do with his contract demands, or even his existing contract if he'll play under it. A lot more money than we'd want to pay for damaged goods

BTW- what kind of shape is he in? Do you even know when the last time he played? How long would it take for him to get into shape, learn the system, or any of those small details that MIGHT be important. Or are you aware the last time he played in 16 games was 2013. :eek:

And oh by the way, we also have to give up a high draft pick or two to have the privilege of Mr Williams company.

Sloppy, sloppy thinking

Cousin Pat,
Williams has this year and next 2020 under contract. Gives us more time to "bake" Wynn and Cajuste who is an unknown.
I am more worried about Cannon. He looked bad Sunday.

Love to have Green but perhaps Neal fits that role. .....If TB thows to him.

Green and Diggs are probabaly too CAP unfriendly.

The rason is now clear why BB does not draft WR. Brady does not like to work with them

Sanu is O.K. does well in the red zone. 25 Career TD's.

Although I think Gordon will come around, the only 3rd down threats are Edelman and White.

Here is my theory;

1) Burkhead has excellent pass catching skills. He gets nicked at RB every year. Convert Burkhead to full time WR. He splits out wide now many times. Biggest news is TB trusts him. He makes contested catches. Hell of an after the catch yards guy in theory. He serves as RB back up so he has dual role.

2)Now trade for Trent Williams.

3) Run Wynn as your TE first and second down. They did that a few years ago with Flemming with success.

4) I like Dorsett but he is an enigma. He has the TB trust but some games he does not get free to target.
So I am signing Maurice Harris back. Knows the playbook. TB knows him. Gets contested balls.

Plan "B"

1) WR; If not, I like this Trey Quinn kid from the Skins. I mentioned a two-fer

The Skins want a 1st for Williams or more. How about a 1st and 3rd (we have 3) for Williams and Quinn and a Redskins 4th back?

2) TE; Cameron Brate is my guy here. The Bucs are playing well but do NOT use the TE.
Brate over Eifert. Brate is also under contract for 4 more years at reasonable money. We are missing a receiver who can run the seam.

DW Toys

Cousin Pat,
Williams has this year and next 2020 under contract. Gives us more time to "bake" Wynn and Cajuste who is an unknown.

The rason is now clear why BB does not draft WR. Brady does not like to work with them

Although I think Gordon will come around, the only 3rd down threats are Edelman and White.

Here is my theory;

1) Burkhead has excellent pass catching skills. He gets nicked at RB every year. Convert Burkhead to full time WR. He splits out wide now many times. Biggest news is TB trusts him. He makes contested catches. Hell of an after the catch yards guy in theory. He serves as RB back up so he has dual role.

3) Run Wynn as your TE first and second down. They did that a few years ago with Flemming with success.

4) I like Dorsett but he is an enigma. He has the TB trust but some games he does not get free to target.
So I am signing Maurice Harris back. Knows the playbook. TB knows him. Gets contested balls.

Plan "B"

The Skins want a 1st for Williams or more. How about a 1st and 3rd (we have 3) for Williams and Quinn and a Redskins 4th back?

2) TE; Cameron Brate is my guy here. The Bucs are playing well but do NOT use the TE.
Brate over Eifert. Brate is also under contract for 4 more years at reasonable money. We are missing a receiver who can run the seam.

DW Toys

Well crafted and reasonable thoughts. BUT...... I have some reservations.

1. I now, more than ever, don't want Trent Williams. Great player, when he is at the top of his game, but what is he now. If he would play for free and come at no cost, he'd STILL be a risk. Coming off a serious injury and not having played 16 games since 2013, what will you get from him, without TC, and almost half a season with no football activities at all. What is his mental state?

But here's the thing. He DOESN'T come for free and WOULD exact a cost. Both those things come with a price. Like I've mentioned in the past, we have 20 guys to potentially fit $55MM including several who would be critical to our future success.
Williams, IMHO would be a luxury we just don't need. I've seen Wynn, and he's the real deal. IMHO he's more skillful than Solder was at this point. He's the prototype LT of today, a bit smaller, more agile and athletic to take on the 4.6 rushers we are seeing starting to pop up.

So Toys, it not just ONE reason to reject Williams, its MULTIPLE costs for an asset that, at this point, is far from a sure thing.

2. I don't hate the idea of bringing in a Sanu or Sanders....in principle. But beyond the cost, you run into the same problem you have with Harry and Meyers. Trying to fit in to Tom Brady's mind and this system. Sure it would be easier because they are long term professional WR's, but still no sure thing. We've seen good vets run screaming from Gillette. I still haven't gotten over the Ocho failure. The guy was an 11,000 yd receiver with a good attitude and hooked up to the GOAT. What could go wrong....right? ;)

Did you watch last night as 3 good but not great WR's took apart the Browns. It's the of a formula (for lack of a better word) we've been taking apart defenses with for 20 years. Now after looking at that which WR would you want over ours?

Your ideas are valid, but really unneeded right now.

3. THERE you go. I was with you on Brate before the season started. It made a LOT of sense then, and SOME sense now (again the new system thing). I'm not as excited now as I was then because I'm seeing growth from both Izzo AND Lacosse.

Izzo's blocking improved last game, and while he can't run like a Gronk, he IS a very smooth catcher of the football as he showed Sunday. Much better at it than Allen, who treated every pass as if it were an alien coming at him.

Lacosse hasn't really had a full chance since he is STILL recovering from the high ankle sprain and trying to play through it.

Even wen Wynn comes back, I love the idea of putting in Newhouse at LT and Wynn at TE in 2 or 3 TE formations.

That is why my ador for Brate has waned a bit. I'm kind of loathe to give up another roster slot to a 3rd TE. So in my mind, if you bring in Brate, you'd have to let go Lacosse.

Last edited:
Cousin Pat,

Here is my theory;

Plan "B"

DW Toys

Yeah all for Cameron Brate I think he would do very well here he nice soft hands.

Any $ we use to free up cap space should be used to fix our OL, you bunch of madden playing nimrods

A decent dual threat TE would be the best option to fix the line IMO. Not only do you get extra competent blocking, you also have a more effective play-action and aren’t telegraphing every play pre-snap.

Who is he?

Adriel Jeremiah "A.J." Green (born July 31, 1988) is an American football wide receiver for the Cincinnati Bengals of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at the University of Georgia, and was drafted by the Bengals fourth overall in the 2011 NFL Draft.

In his first season with the Bengals, Green made the 2012 Pro Bowl, the first rookie receiver to make a Pro Bowl appearance in eight years; Green has since gone on to appear in 7 total Pro Bowls in his career. From 2011 to 2013, Green caught more passes (260) than any other player in NFL history during their first three seasons, though this record was later broken by Jarvis Landry. He has had 6 seasons with 1000+ receiving yards.

We get Harry back? I might take that bet. I think Wynn and Develin are coming back, and the Pats can only activate TWO from the IR list.

I dont think the team will **** around with neck injuries but we will know pretty soon as Harry can soon get back to practice.

I dont get why people want a first round WR with pretty impressive build, good hands and YAC ability sidelined over a minor issue but at the same time demand some kind of trade for a veteran WR who would cost more and would have even less experience with Brady. Harry at least was there for the entire preseason.

I dont think the team will **** around with neck injuries but we will know pretty soon as Harry can soon get back to practice.

I dont get why people want a first round WR with pretty impressive build, good hands and YAC ability sidelined over a minor issue but at the same time demand some kind of trade for a veteran WR who would cost more and would have even less experience with Brady. Harry at least was there for the entire preseason.

Compared to the rest of the league, Edelman, Gordon, Dorsett, Harry, Meyers appears to be a pretty competent group.

I don't think we NEED to trade for anyone. It would be nice but it's not a must.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe