SOURCE:NESN

SOURCE:nj.com

SOURCE:Seattle PI

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: N/A

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Rule Changes You Would Like to See

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Calhoun44, Jan 15, 2020.

1. dannydyn

dannydyn PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4,586
    Pretty much. The current format, with some divisions being weaker, you end up with 9-7 division leader sitting ahead of other teams with better record. That's just fcked up.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. FCB02062

FCB02062 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +5,966
    Another rule, don't know if it's been mentioned - allow unlimited players to return from IR and don't put a time limit on amount of games player must sit out to be on IR. It makes no fukcing sense - unless it's a way, who knows how, for the greedy owners to make more $. Why not allow a player designated for return on week 1 to return week 5 if he's ready?
    Along with my added wildcard, do away with preseason games COMPLETELY

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. TB_Helmet

TB_Helmet In the Starting Line-Up Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +8,772
    No offense but it sounds like the worst idea ever. 3/4 of the league would have nothing to play for by November. It’s like how MLB used to handle things in the 80s.

Sure the current system could be tweaked, but why not just take the top 6 teams or abolish divisions or something (not that I’d be in favor of either of those ideas, but it solves the 9-7 problem)

4. XLIX

XLIX Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +14,066
    While I think the IR rules should be relaxed a bit, your above suggestion opens up a situation where the IR would be abused.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Palm Beach Pats Fan

Palm Beach Pats Fan Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +17,213
    Only those listed on Patsfans as "Veteran Starter w/Big Long-Term Deal"

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  6. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +56,965
    Either eliminate all divisions, conferences and playoffs, or accept that things aren't going to always look perfect as you roll into the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13,611
    I'm not sure how it would lead to abuse; it doesn't let you bring more than 2 players off IR. All it does is this: if a player DTR doesn't get activated at all, it gives the team another chance. [As an example, the Pats "wasted" a DTR on Shea McClellin in 2017 because he had a setback in practice.]

8. Chevrolet

Chevrolet On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +807
    YES this. I hate it when the QB just throws up a prayer and some arm bar or slight grab results in a 50 yard penalty that completely obliterates great team defense prior to that penalty.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. XLIX

XLIX Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +14,066
    OK I misunderstood. In my mind, you were removing the 2-players-per-season restriction. My bad.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Chevrolet

Ratings:
    +807
    How about defensive holding is not an automatic first down, its just 5 yards.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. jimnance

jimnance PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4,725
    NFL needs to change OT rules. Every rule they've ever had, including sudden death, is stupid.
    It should be like the NBA and MLB:
    You keep playing by the same rules/format as you did in regulation. That way no team is victimized by the luck of a cointoss.
    You play an extra quarter,but shorter,say 8 or 10 minutes. You play to the end of the clock,just like regulation.
    If score is still tied, in regular season it becomes a tie.
    In postseason you keep playing 8 or 10 minute periods until there's a winner.
    It's very simple. You're keeping the integrity of the game. The same game you battled for 60 minutes to get to.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. dannydyn

dannydyn PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4,586
    OK, maybe more than two teams, but the current structure where 9-7 teams automatically secure a playoff spot by virtue of winning their weak a55 division is bull5hit. Teams need to 'earn' the spot. Rolling into the playoffs with a 9-7 record is ridiculous. How about seeding based on overall conference record? How about top 4 teams based purely on W-L record, regardless of what division you play in gets you into the playoffs. And I disagree about having nothing to play for. You'd have to play your butt off to make sure you records puts you in the top 4 spots - FINAL 4.

That way, the top 4 would look like:

1) 11-5
    2) 12-4
    3) 13-3
    4) 12-4

Now THAT looks more like playoffs comprised of teams who have earned it. Those are winning records! Not some BS 9-7 that got you into the playoffs by virtue of winning your division.

13. fnordcircle

fnordcircle The poster who James White said inspires him. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +32,778
    I think I'd like to see basically anything be reviewable. They're already making judgement calls by reviewing PI so why not anything else?

Also, keep the number of replays the same but allow coaches to throw the red flag at any time in addition to the potential of the refs choosing to review like they do now if it is under 2 minutes, etc.

Overall I think review has been good for the game so I'd like to see it expanded as long as it doesn't ruin the viewing experience.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. VJCPatriot

VJCPatriot Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +1,804
    I agree. The clock should not run when the opposing team makes an intentional penalty. They should not be allowed to gain a benefit from a wrongdoing.

In fact I would say, why not make things harsher. If the offender commits back to back penalties and has the ball on a 4th down, there should be an immediate loss of downs, creating an instant turnover on the spot and stopping the clock.

This rule would instantly end the multiple penalty shenanigans in order to milk out the clock with penalties.

15. BaconGrundleCandy

BaconGrundleCandy PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +11,240
    Easy to say that as a NEP fan. We weren't always assured 10+ wins before the season started.

Titans have been the best story out of the playoffs so far. They might have 10 + wins but MM8 has been gods awful. They made a move and it paid off big time. Their record certainly isn't representative of their play.

The playoffs don't need much tinkering if any.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. chris_in_sunnyvale

chris_in_sunnyvale In the Starting Line-Up Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +6,130
    Pats tie SB51. Atlanta takes the kickoff and runs their regular offense. Time expires. Atlanta continues the drive in OT. No thanks.

The 60 minutes should matter.

Regards,
    Chris

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Tony2046

Tony2046 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +36,024
    I know what you mean but TDs should be hard to get. Or they should be that valuable. Rewarding a team for gaffing at the goal line cheapens that value. Imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. TB_Helmet

TB_Helmet In the Starting Line-Up Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +8,772
    4 is more reasonable than 2. I think 6 is great though. Gives us two weekends of four playoff games each, some of my favorite weekends of the year. To each his own.

Where I'd agree with you is just that having only 4 teams per division almost guarantees that one team will make it that doesn't really deserve it. So something could be done about that.

However just the way the numbers work, I don't feel that there's something inherently wrong with a 9-7 team making the playoffs. 16 games is too small a sample size, and schedules are too different for each team, to definitively conclude that a 9-7 team "doesn't deserve it", especially given how much things change over the course of the season.

For example, the Titans were 9-7 this year and they are playing great; most of their losses were before they switched QBs. Do you feel they should have missed the playoffs?

• Useful Useful x 2
  19. Tony2046

Tony2046 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +36,024
    It doesn't have to be an " out of bounds" rule. I'm sure somebody in NY knew it was a touchdown. So make it a " if the ref screwed up ..." rule.

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. Chevrolet

Ratings:
    +807
    Here is an easy one.

Change it so all teams can have 53 players active on game day.
    Never understood why only 48 allowed.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1