SOURCE:Patriots.com

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Lions
Thu
Aug 8th
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Solid Draft
The Patriots walked away with 10 pretty solid additions coming off draft weekend, injecting some youth into the Super Bowl champs' roster.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Round 7 targets?

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by patchick, Apr 19, 2019.

1. manxman2601

manxman2601 Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +26,710
    His 10 yard split is clear on film, he clearly has a second gear. The quickness is very evident too with some Edelman like ankle breaking routes. And the thing I liked most was the fact that he catches the ball away from his body. There was some stuff I wasn’t so keen on. He ran out of bounds short of the FG line on a play at the end of the game (Penn State I believe) and sometimes his routes aren’t so crisp but it’s all there to be coached up. Of all the smurfs we’ve signed or drafted over the recent years, he’s the one I feel best about.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1

2. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12,004
    Similarly, I find that my mocks work out most happily when I take an OT like Risner at #32. Plenty of receiving talent can be had later on, but the list of swing tackles I'd be comfortable playing as rookies is awfully short.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Sad Sad x 1
  3. manxman2601

Ratings:
    +26,710
    Me too. I ran a few simulations this morning and things always went better going OT first. They could go AJ Brown first and then trade up for an OT from 56 but then you’d need to be comfortable with Sternberger, Knox, Oliver or Warring.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. captain stone

captain stone Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +7,329
    What would prevent me from taking either Risner or Mcgary with my very first pick is that both of them have zero college experience at LT. Mcgary's 32-7/8" arms is another deal-breaker at 32.
    Perhaps one or both has LT traits (they did perform well enough at the combine for the position),
    but for me that is not the place in the draft for changing somebody's scenery and hoping it works.
    56 is the very earliest I'd take either of them.

• Like Like x 1
  5. manxman2601

Ratings:
    +26,710
    I went with Little in my mock for that reason, but I think BB is looking for a RT. This could be Camnon’s last year.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. captain stone

Ratings:
    +7,329
    It might very well be, but RT-only guys can be acquired throughout the draft.

7. patchick

Ratings:
    +12,004
    Let me try to make the case for Risner, at least. While he hasn't played LT, that's partially a tribute to the Kansas State line--they've had NFL talent across from him all 4 years. He has the athleticism for the position, and is more advanced technician than any other OT prospects likely to fall to the Patriots. Given that they need a swing tackle they can rely on NOW and likely a starting RT for 2020, that's hugely valuable.

Looking at the combination of need, talent, and how the draft board looks in rounds 2 & 3, I think he could be a smart pick.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. BaconGrundleCandy

BaconGrundleCandy Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7,981
    I read somewhere the other day that a few teams had a 2nd-4th on him. It was some scout asking GM's or something like that.
    I always prepare myself for this or try to. I tell myself, "why, does this prospect have to go ..."

Anyway I love Risner. Total package from a player/character pov.

I'm also very much behind building the OL. I want the biggest, most athletic OL possible.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. patchick

Ratings:
    +12,004
    Can you talk me into any other OT options, like Greg Little? I'm not entirely sold.

10. Ras-IR Dowling

Ras-IR Dowling In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6,707
    I’m definitely leaning OT with one of our first 3 picks. If one of Wynn/Cannon goes down we get pretty damn thin in a hurry. And if we miss out on an OT May be a good idea to reach out to Donald Penn to see if there’s interest.

• Like Like x 1

11. manxman2601

Ratings:
    +26,710
    I think you might have to take him at 32. Just saw two mocks, one for Jags and one for Atlanta where they take Risner with their 2nd round pick. That’s the issue with the 2nd tier tackles sitting in that 30-45 range. Teams with a ta ole need picking early in the first will take a higher priority need first and aim to take the RT in the early 2nd.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. captain stone

Ratings:
    +7,329
    Did a little reading, and discovered that Scott Frantz has started Every game for them at LT since his freshman season, and will enter his senior season as a likely consensus All-Big 12 first-teamer. Makes some sense then that Risner was kept at RT after starting his entire redshirt freshman season at Center.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. BaconGrundleCandy

Ratings:
    +7,981
    Yea neither am I. And I think its for good reason. Love the ceiling & package but hes so inconsistent where it matters imo. Hands & feet are hit/miss. Has to get stronger, isn't the beast he should be at that size/w those arms.

Bobby Evans is a nasty dude & + run blocker. I like him more than most it seems, even in pass pro which needs a ton of work. His hands are a + though. + core/overall strength. Experience at both T spots. Nasty attitude. Good against power rusher for the most part.

Fred Johnson is a real sleeper. Enormous dude like Brown w 34+ arms. Literally a huge project. Played G & would need a transition but again hes a 6th-7th-pudfa. Love the say he moves at times though. His steps & angles look right, efficient. Quick on his first step, quick using his arms to keep rushers away from him.

Tytus Howard is another mid-late-udfa option.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  14. jboston19

jboston19 Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +2,091
    Do you think Scar would be able to work his magic with Donnel Green out of Minnesota? A massive human like the one we just lost with Trent Brown. Lots of power there...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. BaconGrundleCandy

Ratings:
    +7,981
    Good one! Never put it past Scar, Id put him in the Fred Johnson tier. Take a chance late or (priority)udfa. Wonder how healthy he is rn?

Like you said enormous dude. Like Evans has trouble in pass pro. Has to get aggressive w his hands & start striking early & w force. Definitely an intriguing guy.

• Thank You Thank You x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12,623
    BTW, on Moving the Chains, one of the hosts made the case that BC WR Michael Walker resembles Chris Hogan,* and that he could "see the Patriots taking him" late, in part because he could fill the KR position left vacant by Patterson's departure.

*In many respects, though thankfully not the one that Hogan shared with Reche Caldwell. :eek:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  17. State

State In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +265
    In 2017 he was ranked as one of the nation’s best pass blockers, but a dislocated left elbow suffered against Northwestern made the 2018 campaign a washout for OG _David Beedle_ of Michigan State.

He also suffered by poor coaching. (Former Ohio State and BC o-line coach Jim Bollman is replacing this disastrous o-line guy.)

Playing in the NFL has been Beedle’s dream since the fifth grade, he writes in this diary entry about his Combine snub:
    David Beedle draft diary: Michigan State OL motivated by Combine snub

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. State

Ratings:
    +265
    Here Beedle is, #59 at LG, against Penn State in Nov 2017.
    On pass plays you can see he is a wall. Whoever he’s on doesn’t get near the QB.
    With his limited athleticism he does an okay job getting to the second level on run plays.

Then numbnutz now former o-line coach Mark Staten puts in #70 to replace #59. And it becomes a jailbreak. This coach liked to do this. (Last season like a week or two before the season he decides to put this #70 as center, a new position for him. You should have seen how he was blown up by Renell Wren of Arizona State, a great prospect for us in the fifth or sixth round. )

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. State

Ratings:
    +265
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. State

Ratings: