PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Round 4 - Pick 14

I would go OT

I would agree that their 6th and 7th round picks are long shots but it is historically inaccurate to say that “all of the remaining picks are long shots”. How often has BB cut a 4th round pick in his first year? The answer is very rarely, if ever, during his time with the Pats. It is highly likely that their next pick will make the team. I’d like them to package their two 6ths for a higher 5th than their comp pick.

Long shot is probably too strong for the 4th round pick, I agree. But this is a funny year, and a historical precedent is probably not too accurate either. We picked a guy in the late 3rd who many projected as a mid to late 2nd. I don't think that is too common in a normal year. And everyone says this draft is very shallow with little top end talent after the 4th, so we will see. It is fun to have a few binkies, but open spots on the Pats' roster are quite limited this year, probably on purpose.

Looking at Pats history of 4th round picks. Lots of duds since 2000. Percentage wise is bad: 6 out of 27 picks, or 22.2% winners

Keepers were:
2015 Trey Flowers
2015 Shaq Mason
2014 James White
2010 Aaron Hernandez (talent-wise)
2006 Gos
2003 Asante Samuel

I really wanted Hunter Long, TE, from Boston College. But, he was gone early in 3rd round (Phins got him).

Guess wait till next year for a TE...

Hope Pats move UP in the 4th round. I think they need to shore up the OL. Then, Safety.

I'm not saying it's the right or wrong thing to do, but taking a TE in the first 4 rounds this year is basically an open admission that neither Asiasi nor Keene have anything at all to offer.

Looking at Pats history of 4th round picks. Lots of duds since 2000. Percentage wise is bad: 6 out of 27 picks, or 22.2% winners

Keepers were:
2015 Trey Flowers
2015 Shaq Mason
2014 James White
2006 Gos
2003 Asante Samuel
so it's time to hit on a 4th rounder again

Keepers were:
2015 Trey Flowers
2015 Shaq Mason
2014 James White
2006 Gos
2003 Asante Samuel
You forgot Wise, who despite not being as good as those players, still earned a second contract here bigger than White ever signed.

Cameron Fleming and James Sanders also contributed enough to justify their draft position. Since you set the cutoff at 2000, I'll also throw in Jarvis Green.

It is a virtual roster number esp. to the outsiders and esp. today. It will be a very fluctuant situation and information about signings will always come way ahead of releases. There are still players on the roster that internally might already be written off (like opt-outs, retirees) or are TC placeholders (futures contracts) depending how Draft and UDFA turn out.

Currently there are 79 players on the roster - incl Chung who will likely be a post June 1 move so he counts. There is a question of roster spot for Jakub as he was part of international program. Pats asked for exemption on a 90 man roster both previous years iirc (despite him playing year one) so maybe there's an option there to clear one more spot.

Of the opt outs there was not a single sign re Vitale and Thoran so they might get officially released today.
There are some positions with more players than Pats normally carry to TC so id expect further releases there.
F.e. IDL - pats normally carry 7 and there are already 10 listed. Id expect at least 2 of Spence, Thurman, Murray will be released over next couple of days. The release of Spence adds some $300.000 of cap space (similarly Vitale).

Positions that are significantly undersized to what Pats normally carry to TC are WR, IOL and CB so expect number of additions there.

With limited Draft class that affects depth of UDFA id guess they might use 4-5 picks and add up to 10 UDFAs.
There are also tryout options but this year they will be limited.

Thanks @long distance for the top down analysis. Since it is a different type of year, should we look at it from the bottom up? Today and Sunday the Pats will potentially sign 5 draft picks and 10 UDFAs = 15 players. Maybe, in a normal year, 3 make the team. If that happens, who are numbers 51, 52, and 53 on our roster that will be replaced?

Of the 15 guys I am guessing 0 or 1 makes the team this year, and I am curious what you think? Who would you bump off this roster for a Day 3 late round or UDFA rookie?

I do not dislike rookies or binkies, I was disappointed to see Obi the local kid get released, but think historical, top down views might be limited due to this "unprecedented" year. Your roster numbers were right, we are light at CB, WR, but I am looking at the 90 man count differently this year.

I know they already addressed DT with Barmore which was a fantastic pick. However, just to be greedy I’d like them to add Tyler Shelvin DT LSU. Can never have enough big bodies in the trenches and he is the best NT in this draft for situational and obvious running plays. Would be great in Jumbo or goal line packages.

You forgot Wise, who despite not being as good as those players, still earned a second contract here bigger than White ever signed.

Cameron Fleming and James Sanders also contributed enough to justify their draft position. Since you set the cutoff at 2000, I'll also throw in Jarvis Green.

Revised, percentage = 37% +4

Last edited:
In the 4th i want either Moses from
bama or the best name for an OL Stone Forsythe.

Keepers were:
2015 Trey Flowers
2015 Shaq Mason
2014 James White
2006 Gos
2003 Asante Samuel
Jarvis Green?

Wr Shi Smith
Wr Amon St Brown
Wr Sage Surrat

oline